General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hate to ask. but need wetsuit guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-30 12:51 AM

Subject: hate to ask. but need wetsuit guidance
I hate to do this. Normally I'm prepared to read old threads, articles, etc....but now I'm running short on time. Especially if I'm going to order one and leave time to return/reorder if it doesn'tfit and also get a chance to try it somewhere/somehow before I race. Des Moines was going to be my first Olympic. Not so much now.

In a fit of disappointment I signed up for another one thats a few weeks off...but I'll need a wetsuit. Never worn one.

I could rent...but you only get it for a weekend. No chance to try it out. To rent longer or more than once, I might as well buy one for not a whole lot more and open up future opportunities.

No clue as to what I need/should get.
2mm? 3mm? Full sleeve?
Those were just the options I saw on amazon...but have no clue what "people say". So say away. I don't need brand/model recommendations. I'll take them, but will ignore them if they're not lowend/cheapies.

2014-08-30 2:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: hate to ask. but need wetsuit guidance

#1- Make sure you're buying a Triathlon Specific wetsuit (there are other types of wetsuits for different activities)

#2-Regardless of how great a deal it is; If it doesn't fit-it's JUNK

#3- I'm a full wetsuit/full sleeve guy.  Sleeveless aren't as warm and (arguably) no faster than a full suit.

#4 - Google "Triathlon Wetsuit" AND Clearance.  You'll find some great deals on older models.  I'll bet you could find one for lesss than $150.00 shipped. 

I don't hink you'll find a 'bad' wetsuit these days.  I've been swimming the hell out of a 100.00 Profile Design Wahoo. 

(edited to give you #4)

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-08-30 2:18 AM
2014-08-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
It's really a good idea to be able to try on wetsuits - it's a gamble ordering online if you don't have a solid handle on sizing. If you can find stores locally or semi-locally that carry wetsuits now is a good time to buy with end of season sales. At the very least you can try on a few and get a feel for manufacturer sizing, then see what you can find online. As said, the most important thing with wetsuits is fit. The specific model or brand isn't going to matter much.
2014-08-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'm a huge fan of Desoto's two piece system.  That way you can mix and match top and bottom sizes (for example I use a size 5 bottom and size 4 top).  You can also get a sleeveless top and a full sleeve top so you can have the best of both worlds.

2014-09-02 2:20 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Thanks for the info. It's lending me some confidence. Do you have time for another quick question?

I'm considering 'gambling' in that I can probably get away without a wetsuit for this race and it looks like it might stay warm enough.
Instead of renting one for $75 locally, I'm thinking roll the dice and buy one with expedited shipping and maybe get a chance to try it out.

The one I'm looking at appears to be designed for 'training', but in reviews I saw a lot of people using it for races. Can't see why it wouldn't work for a 'casual' racer. As long as this isn't a "really bad choice" for something. I don't care if the joepros might turn their nose at a guy in a 'training' suit. I so don't care about them, I still use a bucket. As I've said, until someone finds me a carrying device that holds everything I need, cost $4, is waterproof, AND doubles as a place to sit (REALLY handy this weekend when we had to sit for 3+ hours after transition closed)...I'm sticking with the bucket. I just don't want to use something that would be patently "wrong". Does that make sense?

The cheapy that I'm looking at:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?subscribe=Y&ProductCod...

That's really just over the cost of two local rentals and the gas burned to get a 'fit', pick it up, and return it.

Thinking maybe throw the dice at that one...and if the fit's wrong, switch it out for a different size and deal with the colder water in a little over a week.
2014-09-02 2:31 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Look at Xterra suits. They often have HUGE clearance sales. They've also been very good about helping me with sizing. I sent them some measurements and the suit they sent was spot on.
But I agree that you're just as well off buying one for the price of a couple of rentals. If it doesn't work, you should be able to sell it for not too much of a loss.

2014-09-02 7:44 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Before you order the "Orca training suit" (which I am sure would be just fine).....

Hover over the Gear tab above. Click on Discounts. Go down to the Xterra Wetsuits, BT 57% off tab. Shop for a wetsuit from a brand that 1000s before you have used and that supports the Beginner Triathlete website.

As you can see from other posts, Xterra are very popular because of their economical price but still work very well for many triathletes.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/category.asp?catid=83
2014-09-02 10:19 PM
in reply to: #5045150

Thanks a ton! I got to that link earlier on my phone....but didn't see anything. I just needed to scroll around more. 4 dollars cheaper and has the BT seal of approval...so to speak. BT has scratched my back. I will return the favor for BT and its partners.
2014-09-03 8:27 AM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by jhaack39

Thanks a ton! I got to that link earlier on my phone....but didn't see anything. I just needed to scroll around more. 4 dollars cheaper and has the BT seal of approval...so to speak. BT has scratched my back. I will return the favor for BT and its partners.

Hey jhaack39, Not sure what's your size, but I am selling my Xterra Vector Pro, size Medium. I only used it once (IMTX), I had to buy it because the swim this year was wetsuit legal.

I live in Miami and I rarely have to wear wetsuits, plus my team got sponsored by a different wetsuit brand and they gave me one that I must wear, if I race in wetsuit legal races. PM if you are interested!
2014-09-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: #5046257

Alas....I think I'm a large. Unfortunately xterra isn't shipping larges for a couple weeks.
2014-09-03 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Is a wetsuit required for this particular race or is it just legal? What are the water temps? Might be worth holding off if you can do the swim without the suit.

If not then try posting a want to buy add here and at slowtwitch to see if you can pick up a good used suit on the cheap. I was going to suggest Xterra but looks like that won't work out for you.

Check out the shops local to you for year end closeout stuff. Try the bike shops and running shops as a lot of them have started to carry tri stuff. Being able to try on a specific brand before you order online is a nice benefit. I tried on an Orca suit at my local swim and run shop, figured out what size I needed then had them order me a higher end Orca, worked out great. 

Blue Seventy is another good brand for budget and high end wet suits, might do some searching for them. 

2014-09-03 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by jhaack39 Alas....I think I'm a large. Unfortunately xterra isn't shipping larges for a couple weeks.

Try wetsuit.com.  Promotion brand was my 1st wetsuit and I called them and discussed sizing over the phone.  I made the measurements they needed, called back and they told me exactly what I needed.  They have a lot of options to get the suit that fits you right with MediumLarge, MLTall, MLShort ,Large, LargeShort, LargeTall... Here's the sizing and Customer Service page.  I'd still have that suit if I didn't accidently leave it in the car one day 2 years ago when it was 100F!

There use to be a 10% BT discount but not sure if that is still ongoing.  Can't hurt to ask if they still provide a discount to BT members.

2014-09-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by jhaack39 Alas....I think I'm a large. Unfortunately xterra isn't shipping larges for a couple weeks.

Try wetsuit.com.  Promotion brand was my 1st wetsuit and I called them and discussed sizing over the phone.  I made the measurements they needed, called back and they told me exactly what I needed.  They have a lot of options to get the suit that fits you right with MediumLarge, MLTall, MLShort ,Large, LargeShort, LargeTall... Here's the sizing and Customer Service page.  I'd still have that suit if I didn't accidently leave it in the car one day 2 years ago when it was 100F!

There use to be a 10% BT discount but not sure if that is still ongoing.  Can't hurt to ask if they still provide a discount to BT members.

+1 on ProMotion...very happy with the basic sleeveless I bought there and it was only like $150 shipped.

2014-09-03 1:31 PM

Good advice above.

Final advice for direct experience - the wetsuit should feel fairly comfortable the moment you put it on and mimic swimming. Yes, the compressive effect will make it feel a little harder to breath, but it should be really, really minor and something you can ignore very easily.

I went to an experienced trifitter at a trishop for my first wetsuit, and he insisted I was fitted correctly for a wetsuit that was sufficiently tight that if I held my arms over my head for more than 10 seconds, I started to really feel fatigue. And this was after he hiked it up maximally. 

Sure enough both in training and on race day, I was near-dying in the first 300m because my deltoids were so tired from fighting the wetsuit restriction. Took me 2 months to ditch that suit since the experienced fitter insisted he got it right.

I switched to a sleeveless, and I was instantly from dead last AG to decently in the middle, no more shoulder fatigue. I then bought a full-length suit that was restrictive, and had equally good results. Bottom line, if it's bothering you when you just put it on, seriously consider trying on a different size or model.

2014-09-03 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I saw the photo on Facebook of the 78.2 degrees at Hy Vee.  Bummed they dropped it to a Sprint, which was the right choice if you ask me and then the water temp INCREASES 2.2 degrees overnight..... WTF!!!  Oh well.  still had a great race!

Regarding the wetsuit dillema.  I bought a full sleeved Xterra suit about 4 years ago for the Okoboji Triathlon.  Every race that has been wet suit legal, i've worn that suit.  Xterra helped me fit it and I've been super happy ever since. 

2014-09-03 7:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-09-03 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro

Dude - stop the madness!  We live close....I have a Large Blue Seventy Reaction suit you are welcome to use for your race. I'm 6'2 and race at about 190-200 if that helps you with size.  You can get a good idea of how they feel, what you may want to look for differently, etc.  Hit me up on a PM and we can figure out how to get it to you for your race.  For what it's worth, we all wear Blue Seventy suits.  My kids have used theirs for 3 and 4 years respectively, an average of 4-6 races per year in them.......they are as good as new still.  If teenagers can't wreck them, they can't be wrecked.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-03 8:19 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hate to ask. but need wetsuit guidance Rss Feed