General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maximalist / minimalist shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-30 2:43 PM

Subject: Maximalist / minimalist shoes
Over the past 2 years I've paid a high tuition in shoes- altra, On, innov8, merrell, others. I've also run in brooks, Nike, and VFF. Most recently I'm in Altra and have tried Torin, Olympus, and Paradigm. My last 2 tris have been in Altra. Lately, I have plantar fasciitis and it sidelined me for several weeks. This week I moved back to Merrell TG2's (an old pair) and my fasciitis is much improved. Has anyone else developed foot problems in maximalist shoes (Altra, Hoka, ETC)? In full disclosure, I'm also getting acupuncture (and e-stim) and undoubtedly it helps. That stated, after running again (yesterday) in maximalist- I put on my Merrells to recover and today wore the Merrells for a short run before and after light weight training. Regardless, please share your experiences with maximal shoes and new foot problems.

2014-08-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: Sauer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Maximalist / minimalist shoes
Originally posted by Sauer

Over the past 2 years I've paid a high tuition in shoes- altra, On, innov8, merrell, others. I've also run in brooks, Nike, and VFF. Most recently I'm in Altra and have tried Torin, Olympus, and Paradigm. My last 2 tris have been in Altra. Lately, I have plantar fasciitis and it sidelined me for several weeks. This week I moved back to Merrell TG2's (an old pair) and my fasciitis is much improved. Has anyone else developed foot problems in maximalist shoes (Altra, Hoka, ETC)? In full disclosure, I'm also getting acupuncture (and e-stim) and undoubtedly it helps. That stated, after running again (yesterday) in maximalist- I put on my Merrells to recover and today wore the Merrells for a short run before and after light weight training. Regardless, please share your experiences with maximal shoes and new foot problems.

Had PF issues and wear Brooks now. No issues since switching to Brooks and I wear them all the time. I have a pair I wear just for walking around the house.

Try taking turmeric and ginger each day as well.
2014-08-30 7:32 PM

I have the hoka one one conquest. For me they've been awesome. I still wear some new balance 870v3 but the hoka's are my go to
2014-08-30 8:40 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I developed a case of hip flexor tendinitis and blamed it on running in Hokas. Turned out however that the tendonitis was just from over-training for a HM and I have resumed running in Hokas with no incident. Most comfortable running shoe I have ever run in. Period.
2014-08-30 9:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I wonder if part of your problem isn't from the "zero drop" feature of the Altras.....

It is my impression that low or zero drop shoes put more pressure on the calf/Achilles/plantar fascia. Your switch back to a more conventional drop shoe might make more difference than the amount of padding in the shoe.
2014-08-30 11:17 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I wonder if part of your problem isn't from the "zero drop" feature of the Altras.....

It is my impression that low or zero drop shoes put more pressure on the calf/Achilles/plantar fascia. Your switch back to a more conventional drop shoe might make more difference than the amount of padding in the shoe.

^ this

2014-08-31 9:14 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by wannabefaster I wonder if part of your problem isn't from the "zero drop" feature of the Altras..... It is my impression that low or zero drop shoes put more pressure on the calf/Achilles/plantar fascia. Your switch back to a more conventional drop shoe might make more difference than the amount of padding in the shoe.
^ this

This x2

2014-08-31 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by wannabefaster I wonder if part of your problem isn't from the "zero drop" feature of the Altras..... It is my impression that low or zero drop shoes put more pressure on the calf/Achilles/plantar fascia. Your switch back to a more conventional drop shoe might make more difference than the amount of padding in the shoe.
^ this

This x2

I'll say the exact opposite. Having gone through PF in 2011, I've watched this sort of discussion closely.

A riding buddy who runs a major running outlet you know of says what's becoming the rule, that what works for you works for you, and there are few universal guidelines. I changed my stride since I was over striding and went to that brand the guy who won Boston wears, but that's just me. I've met a number of people who sort of instantly got rid of PF with Go Runs, but it's certain they only work for some people and some gaits.

Do low drop shoes cause problems for some people? Yes, I know of some. Do they prevent a lot of injuries? The threads on shoes like Hokas say yes, and it's as close to a consensus as anything on ST.

When there's an injury, the common consensus is that you look at your mechanics and how they interact with various shoes. If you haven't already been able to, find a really good coach with an excellent reputation for form and prevention of injury. It's not easy.

I wouldn't bet on the drop being the problem. It could be, but I'd look at a lot of other things too.

On edit: most of the PF I've seen comes from heavy heel striking, but not all. When my friends have it (I've seen it a *lot* with people my age), the first thing I do is see if they heel strike and over stride. Most do.

Edited by Pacific John 2014-08-31 7:05 PM
2014-08-31 8:20 PM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

There's a difference between low drop shoes like Hokas (4 to 6mm depending on model) and zero drop shoes.  I can run in 4-6mm drop shoes all day long.  Zero drop shoes are a different animal.

2014-08-31 8:48 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

There's a difference between low drop shoes like Hokas (4 to 6mm depending on model) and zero drop shoes.  I can run in 4-6mm drop shoes all day long.  Zero drop shoes are a different animal.

Totally. I can run all day long in a 4 mm drop shoe.

Put me in zero drop shoes for a run and the next day I am walking around like a cripple. It is amazing to me how much difference 4 mm makes.

But I agree in principle that the shoe that works for you might not work for me and vice versa.
2014-08-31 9:06 PM
in reply to: #5045271

User image

I got some Altra zero drops and loved them....for a while. They did great for shorter runs, but my calves started really struggling as I upped my mileage. Could be bad mechanics, but I decided to get some Newtons and I have had very little calf issue since. Expensive process figuring out what works, but I think I have found a solution... For now!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maximalist / minimalist shoes Rss Feed