General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long range planning advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-31 8:05 AM

Subject: Long range planning advice
Hi all,

Here is my plan for 2015, anyone have any thoughts on it?

background: I have completed several shorter triathlons and longer running races ( 1/2 marathons) but I want to go big in 2015!

The plan:
* I want to do Raleigh HIM on May 31 then IM Lou in October
I will use Finks plan 9with some little changes) and train for Raleigh like it is a Full IM.
Then I will have 20+ weeks to prepare for L'ville.

Does this sound ok? or should I drop the HIM?

Thanks for any help,
Hadsdad

2014-08-31 9:08 AM
in reply to: hadsdad

User image

Subject: RE: Long range planning advice
Why are you worried about the HIM and asking if you should drop it? Normally people do a HIM is a little closer to your IM (8-10 weeks out) but I see nothing wrong with it being that far out. You'll be training like crazy for a long time though and may get burned out but you'll also see some nice gains over the year if you keep up your training the entire time.
2014-08-31 9:22 AM
in reply to: hadsdad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by hadsdad The plan: * I want to do Raleigh HIM on May 31 then IM Lou in October I will use Finks plan 9with some little changes) and train for Raleigh like it is a Full IM. Then I will have 20+ weeks to prepare for L'ville. Does this sound ok? or should I drop the HIM? Thanks for any help, Hadsdad

Let's think about this outloud...

Why would you train for the Raleigh 70.3 like it's a 140.6 when the 140.6 is about five months away?

People do a 70.3 in the middle of their IM training but you won't be in the middle of your IM training.  You would not have started your IM training.

Train and race Raleigh properly, then train for Louisville.

2014-08-31 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by hadsdad Hi all, Here is my plan for 2015, anyone have any thoughts on it? background: I have completed several shorter triathlons and longer running races ( 1/2 marathons) but I want to go big in 2015! The plan: * I want to do Raleigh HIM on May 31 then IM Lou in October I will use Finks plan 9with some little changes) and train for Raleigh like it is a Full IM. Then I will have 20+ weeks to prepare for L'ville. Does this sound ok? or should I drop the HIM? Thanks for any help, Hadsdad

You say you want to "go big in 2015" and your "train for HIM like IM, then do it again for a full IM" is certainly going big. So big, in fact, that I'd be concerned that you don't really get just how big of a plan you're signing up to do.

As you probably know training for an IM can be a moderate or huge time commitment. You didn't give us any info about your personal life (married, single, no kids, young kids, older kids, flexible or rigid job schedule, etc), and most people find the hardest part of IM training is finding balance between family, work, and IM training. Several times I've done a March or April Ironman and then done a late Ironman the same year. So I know what I'm talking about when I say training for two IMs in the same year is a big time commitment.

Your background is in short and middle distance stuff.  IM people include a half marathon as "middle distance" because it's 13.1 miles. Big whoop. :-)  My training run yesterday was 13.1 miles, and at this point in my training for IMAZ in November all my long runs will be greater than a half marathon distance. In other words, I get to run about 8 more half marathons at marathon pace before the IM.

So my question to you is - can you really fit in 8 to 16 or more hours of training, week after week, without screwing up your family or job or training?

I agree with the idea of keeping the HIM and the IM in your schedule, because IMLOU is so late in the year.  But it may be better for you to train for the HIM like it's a half, and then keep that fitness and train for the IM like it's an IM during that 20 week gap. That's still a go-big plan based on your background, but not quite as big.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-08-31 10:54 AM
2014-08-31 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by hadsdad The plan: * I want to do Raleigh HIM on May 31 then IM Lou in October I will use Finks plan 9with some little changes) and train for Raleigh like it is a Full IM. Then I will have 20+ weeks to prepare for L'ville. Does this sound ok? or should I drop the HIM? Thanks for any help, Hadsdad

Let's think about this outloud...

Why would you train for the Raleigh 70.3 like it's a 140.6 when the 140.6 is about five months away?

People do a 70.3 in the middle of their IM training but you won't be in the middle of your IM training.  You would not have started your IM training.

Train and race Raleigh properly, then train for Louisville.

^ This

these are completely separate races to train for bc of the spacing.
You will have some base from the HIM for sure, which you can incorporate into your IM training plan.

It's good to have a rest period in between as well, so you don't get burned out with the long training schedule.

I'm doing something very similar this year. Raced HIM end of May, and have IM in early Oct.
The training for each race has been completely separate, aside from the base I obtained from the HIM training.

I'd add that this is a recipe for injury as well. Since both races are much longer than you are used to (in all respects), you will be subjecting yourself to much more volume. Be really careful over the long haul not to over do the running especially. For example don't be "doing extra" on top of the plan. Incorporate down time, and stick to it.

Edited by metafizx 2014-08-31 1:03 PM
2014-08-31 2:10 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Thanks for all of the advice. I will train for Raleigh as half and then IM Lou as I should.
I will work out all of the training details and then ask for more advice.

Thanks,
Hadsdad

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long range planning advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice on my planned "plan" : A race is an HIM

Started by nuttysami123
Views: 1234 Posts: 6

2011-01-21 3:17 PM nuttysami123

HIM training plan advice? r/o

Started by ersmith29
Views: 945 Posts: 6

2009-11-24 8:37 PM Mirg

Help/Advice on racing an OLY During Week 16 of 20 of my HIM Plan

Started by Mirg
Views: 807 Posts: 5

2009-09-11 9:13 PM atasic

Long Ride advice

Started by writers2
Views: 1789 Posts: 15

2008-08-12 2:04 PM BigPimp

IM long bike/run training advice

Started by jo-tris
Views: 1605 Posts: 11

2006-11-22 1:51 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
comments : 0
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.