Thriko
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 44s
Overall Rank = 2/4
Age Group = F16-39
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Event warmup:

We got to the race site at about 7:45 and were the first there except for one of the organiser. It was cold and windy and I hardly wanted to get out of the car...the lake also looked cold and my suspicion got confirmed when the race organiser came and said that the lake was colder than they though and it was only about 11.C(51.8) vs. the 13-15C (55-59F) they had predicted. We later found out the temps went down to about 8C (46F) at some places in the lake. Brr. To get warm I decided to put on as much clothes as possible and do a bike warm-up.

Started on the route which I thought would be the running route as it was advertised as "flat flat flat" or what I thought would mean flat flat flat but I guess I got that wrong as the running route turned out to be the other road which was uphill for 2.5km and then downhill again. Biked part of the bike course as well and it was tailwind out for the first part and headwind back. Just took it easy and made sure to get warm.
Once back at the race site they had figured out where transition was going to be (this was a trial triathlon for the site as they possible want to hold an IM there within the next 2 years) and althought the location was convenient after the lake exit it also meant we had to get up a short steep grass-stony hill with the bike to start biking. There was even a fence in between but they put that down with an old carpet. They sure were inventive ;) I decided there and then to put the bike shoes on in transition vs. having them on the bike as once up the hill it started with a short incline and going barefoot up the hill and not having enough momentum to get on the bike and in the shoes on the uphill would have been difficult. The race meeting was shortly after and thats when I figured out we would be running up the hill instead of the flat route. No fun! After the race meeting I finished setting up transition and then got in my wetsuit and decided against warming up for the swim as the lake was so cold and it would have not been benefitial to be in it any longer than needed.
Swim
  • 27m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wanted to have a good swim and I knew I would have a good swim as I always swim faster in open water and with the water so cold there was also not much else to do than swim fast and kick hard. Toes and Feet were pretty much instantly numb. Face and hands were a bit better but it took them about 200m to get around. I did not start as fast as most of the people so after the initial crowdiness I was alone for a little but and then I caught up to a group of 3 swimmers after about 300m and then tried to stick with them and draft as much as possible. I somehow had the feeling though that they did not swim straight or maybe I didn't so I always lost the draft and had to get it back again. The first buoy (half way out) came and I thought it look endless to the second buoy where we would turn around. I tried to use the right shoulder as little as possible and was very careful on the pull the entire time. But I was not in pain at all which was good! During this time I also felt that my body was sucking so much energy from me just to stay warm and I knew this swim would be tough on the body! I sure was right about that. But I kept swimming and finally the turnaround buoy came. I was together turning with three others and there was a lot of chop in the water and I though it was from turning around thr buoy but figured out soon that we were actually with a headwind now and the waves had picked up. I really had to lift myself out high with every stroke to be able to breathe instead of gulping water. This lasted for about 300m and then it got better but those 300m were tough! I swallowed quite a bit of lake water but I thought at least it was not salt water ;) Did one mistake though as I thought the 3 guys that were with me were swimming too far out so I decided top leave the draft and swim more inwards towards the buoy but what I did not see was that the in the middle were actually two buoys and I was heading towards the one for the outcourse. I realised that afew minutes later and had to swim out again where I met the boys again. I thought the last part was just simply endless. Energy was draining but I tried hard to keep the draft somehow. My feet were still frozen and numb and I started to think about that getting out of the lake on the stony part would be quite painful. The last 100m the water got cold....freezing cold! It felt like as someone had emptied a million gallons of icewater in it. I felt nothing anymore. Hands and face turned numb as well but luckily we were almost done by then. Rounded the last buoy and then it was about 15m to the exit. I swam as long as possible and then tried to stand up just to fall over and in again right away. My numb feet just did not support me. That was NO fun! I somehow managed on my feet and then slowly made my way out over the stones. Very very painful! Started running when I got to the grass and then took my wetsuit half way down.
Official time for the swim was 28:07 but that included getting out of the lake and running the 75m to the transition zone and that took me at least 30 secs.

Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Transition was not bad. Wetsuit off, bike shoes on, numberband on, helmet on and off I was up that little hill with the bike. That sure was a challenge in bike shoes and pushing the bike.
Bike
  • 29m 12s
  • 15 kms
  • 30.82 km/hr
Comments:

Once up the hill I hoped on and started biking. as I was still first but with the 2nd girl right behind me I knew I had to bike fast and hard to get as much lead on her as possible as I figured she would run about 2 minutes faster than me....so I needed 2 min over 15km. Tough work ahead. It was an out and back course and was divided into 4km tailwind-1km sidewind-2.5km headwind and then reverse. I pushed hard in the beginning and after 1.5km I saw my husband walking with his bike, barefeet. I slowed down and asked what happened and he had a flat tire. I felt so bad for him but there was not much I could do. Well actually I realised later that I had an extra hose and repair stuff on my bike but at that moment I just didn't think. He also said it would have taken too long to fix it and he would have never caught the first guys again anyways. I still felt bad though.
Then right before the downhill and the first turn I had to slow down a bit again as there some sheeps very close to the road and I was afraid they would walk onto the road. I yelled at them and they went down in the other direction. 90 degree right turn on the main road where we had strong sidewind and then shortly after another 90 degree right turn on another road which started uphill and into headwind. Shifted into the small chainring and tried to keep high cadence pedaling up. This uphill was followed by a downhill and I wanted to shift into the big chainring again when I just head a crack and saw that my shifter in the front was loose and the cable had snapped. So I was stuck in the small chainring for the rest of the race.... The turnaround point came and that meant tailwind again for 2.5km. I tookmthe time and at that point I only had a minute on the second girl and I knew that it would be tight as I could not bike as I wanted with only the small chainring. During those 2.5km I did a lot of high rpm spinning but on the downhill I had to stop pedaling and just rolled down. 90 degree turn to the left and then the short part of sidewind followed by 4km of headwind and at that point I was really thankful that the shifter broke while being in the small chainring as up the hill into the headwind would have been very very tough in the big chainring! I kept a rather high cadence and pedaled up. I think during this part I could have pushed a little harder but somehow I did not see a reason for it. I knew the girl in 2nd would catch me in the run and I knew the 3rd girl was so far behind that I was easily second. I somehow lost all my competitive spirit at this point but I also did not want to overdo it as I considered this more of a training race and next week in Germany as the "going all out" important race. Saw Torben running with about 1,5km to go which gave me a good boost. From then on I tried to decide if I wanted to go down that little steep hill in bike shoes or rather barefoot but as I really wanted to practise getting out of my shoes and hopping of the bike I decided on the barefoot. Thankfully they took our bikes on the top of the hill so we did not have to take it down outselves. Me being as clumsy as I am I would have probably fallen down the hill with the bike ;)
Official Bike time was 30:23 but that included up the steep hill with the bike and down the hill barefeet again which I guess was about 1:10 minutes and that also fits with the Bike computer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T2 went really well. I decided on socks as it would made the run so much more comfortable and as my feet were still numb I knew I needed them. So helmet off, socks on, shoes on, grabbed the Garmin and the Visor and off I was.
Run
  • 26m 11s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

Starting the run was just weird. I could not feel my feet at all. I am used to runnin with frozen numb toes but this time my whole feet seemed like this and yet I was running somehow. As mentioned before I thought this run was falt but by could I have been more wrong? It started with a constant uphill for 1.7km followed by a short downhill and then another uphill for 500m. It was tough! and on top of that we had headwind the entire way out. I kept thinking that it would be so awesome after the turnaround and just focused on that. After 1.5km I heard small steps behind me and I knew then that the girl who was second was right behind me and I knew I had no chance. The uphill course killed pretty much every chance of me winning as the girl is about 20kg ( 45lbs) lighter than me!! Once she passed me I actually was able to hang on to her for a fewe hundred metres and using her as a draft (well seeing how tiny she is I got like half a draft ;)) but then I just let her go. I always had her in sight though and at the turnaround it was probably only like 20m in between us. But she slowly but surely increased her speed and managed to get a whole minute on me during the last 2km. After the turnaround it sue as more fun. Mostly downhill with a tailwind with one short uphill in between. I don't really think there was a single flat point on the whole run course! I increased the speed constantly during the last km. I had two guys about 50-100m behind me and they somehow really increased their speed during the last 500m and overtook me. That really bugged me!! Then I finally saw the finish but did not see a finish line and realised they must have put it right by the little coffeehouse that was there meaning the finish spring would be up a short but really steep hill. At the beginning of the hill I head some huffing and puffing right behind me and saw another guy just about to pass me and it ended in a real sprint up the hill but my legs were done so I let him go ahead...It sure bugged me afterwards then to have thos 3 guys get ahead of me in the last 500m as otherwise I would have placed 6th OA incl. the men!
OK run where I could have run faster in the 2nd part but again saw no reason especially as it was downhill and I did not want my risk my hip getting bad again especially with the race in Germany next week.

Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race in 1:26:44. 2nd in the women and 9th OA.

Last updated: 2013-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:37 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 1/4
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back course
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 10C / 50F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:12 | 15 kms | 30.82 km/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 1/4
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with 2 90 degree turns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 81
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:11 | 05 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/4
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-31 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Kjósarsprettur Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kjósarsprettur Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by tribrz
Views: 1461 Posts: 1

2007-10-11 6:11 PM tribrz

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2145 Posts: 5

2007-10-13 12:49 PM Lara

Started by Kinesio
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 9:40 AM Kinesio

Started by madkat
Views: 1758 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Started by kirby
Views: 1831 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.