General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 310XT good for heartrate/zone training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-01 2:02 PM

User image

Subject: 310XT good for heartrate/zone training?
so, I'm interested in getting into heartrate zone training instead of just by miles/perceived effort- I don't trust my own perception of how hard I'm working! I have plans for a couple sprints and maybe an Olympic next year, but nothing longer. I know there are more expensive options, but I'm sure I'm ready to pull that kind of trigger yet. And I've heard rumors even the more expensive version are coming out with new types soon, so what's top of the line may not be so for long.

Plus i live in the middle of nowhere Vermont. I have trouble getting a GPS signal with my ipod as it is now.

How good is the 310XT? Would it be OK for zone training with a heart monitor for biking and running? Does it do a good job picking up a GPS signal even around hills and trees?

I'm sure it's all been discussed before, and I'm searching back, but recent impressions would be great too.

Thanks!

2014-09-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Subject: RE: 310XT good for heartrate/zone training?
I'm using the 310XT now for a few years also for HR based training, and I am happy. You can set the screen for example to have up to four fields of information simultaneously as per your choice (any combination is possible) I have: elapsed time, distance, heart rate and HR zone (based on the HR zones that you can manually put in). So - with one quick glance you know right away whether you are in the right zone.

The only complaint I have is that the 310 takes sometimes a long time to gather initial GPS data - to find itself, so to speak. But it requires just a bit of patience when you go out for a run - worst case maybe 2 minutes.

Use it with a Ant+ ubs stick and upload the data to a site of your flavor (I am using Garmin Connect) and you will luv the amount of feedback you get. And its actually quite helpful, for example seeing how you are improving over time, etc. It is not very expensive and does the job well. And I really like to be able to check four data fields with one quick glance ....

Oh ... I forgot : YES you can set and record data for running and biking separately, put separate HZ zones for each, etc - great feature if you want to use one for both sports

Edited by rpistor 2014-09-01 3:14 PM
2014-09-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5045713

User image

Utah
I've had my 310 since June and I love it. I bought it specifically because I wanted a HR monitor with the GPS that would do the bike and the run. It's awesome, easy to use, and works great in a race. Highly recommend
2014-09-01 3:29 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by el penguino

How good is the 310XT? Would it be OK for zone training with a heart monitor for biking and running? Does it do a good job picking up a GPS signal even around hills and trees?

I have a 310XT as well as a 910XT (wife bought the 910XT for me as she thought I needed an upgrade).  I MUCH prefer the 310XT.  It isn't going to help with the swim other than to record time (unless you put it under your cap then it will also be able to record speed/distance outdoors).  You can set multiple HR zones.  It will pair with most power meters, speed and cadence sensors, HR monitors and foot pods.  One of the best things about the watch in my opinion is how well the GPS works.  I can sit in my living room, turn on the watch and it will find the satellites - INSIDE the house.  It has no trouble with trees.  Going under a freeway/highway overpass it obviously will lose the satellites however it will reacquire immediately  after you come out from under the bridge and it will "fill in" the under the bridge segment.

I have used the watch on both rolling hills and in the mountains and not had any problems, however I have not been down into steep canyons with it.  I suspect, like any other GPS device, it would not do well at the bottom of a steep canyon (that is a limitation of how GPS works rather than a limitation of the watch.

Earlier this year I traveled from So Calif to Indiana to run in a half-marathon.  We drove across the country and I would go for a short run every night.  I never had a problem with not finding satellites or being able to lock up.

Assuming you don't need the swim metrics offered by some of the newer much more expensive watches (910XT, Fenick2, Ambit2, etc) you will not be disappointed and you will save a good deal of money.  You can find good prices on Amazon and gain added value by bundling with a HR monitor.

2014-09-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I regret not getting mine sooner. It's HR feedback is very quick, and quite accurate. Caution: you'll become more obsessed with perfecting your HR zones & zone training

I have used mine in my swim cap while ocean swimming. The gps signal is excellent, and custom training interval setting (with designated vibrating alerts) made me feel so tuned in to my distance, pace, workload etc.....while in open water. Made open water swim work so much more involved!

Haven't been up in NY mountains biking with it yet, but k9 updated you on that. Get it & Enjoy!
2014-09-01 3:56 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Floriduh
+1 to all of above, 310XT is great. Not good for judging swim diastase, use a 910 for that.

2014-09-01 4:01 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Oysterboy

+1 to all of above, 310XT is great. Not good for judging swim diastase, use a 910 for that.

Back of skull in my swim cap in open water, thing worked like a gem. Not really expected to work in indoor pools though for gps distance/pace
2014-09-01 4:13 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Pro
NJ
I currently use the 910xt but have also used the 310xt and been very happy w both. Not sure where you train in VT but I spend many weekends up near Killington and have used them both for trail running on the mountains nearby. I've never had a problem getting signals or been concerned w accuracy.
2014-09-01 6:48 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Thanks everyone! You've had some great info. I'm going to start trying to catch a sale now!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 310XT good for heartrate/zone training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Different methods of heartrate training, Friel vs. Fink

Started by nel34
Views: 1744 Posts: 8

2007-03-02 8:12 AM nel34

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2507 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

Give me one good reason not to give up on zone training Pages: 1 2

Started by CindyK
Views: 1525 Posts: 30

2006-07-02 10:55 PM Steve-

heartrate training...good or bad?

Started by firsttymer
Views: 925 Posts: 6

2005-04-02 11:14 PM Joe M

BT 1/2 IM Training Plan/Heartrate Question

Started by double_a121
Views: 1600 Posts: 2

2005-03-09 4:04 PM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : September 6, 2011
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.