General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles recommendation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-02 8:59 AM

Subject: Goggles recommendation?
I bought some "Triathalon" goggles off of Amazon and have had noting but leaks, does anyone have a pair they would recommend?

2014-09-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: TheHeimke

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Goggles recommendation?
My turn for the obligatory "It depends". Everyone's face is a bit different, so goggles are hard to pick from athlete to another. I would recommend going to a local sporting goods store and try them on there before ordering online. Don't use the straps and press them against your head, they should get a good seal around your eye sockets. Of all the brands I've tried, Nike has the best ones for my eyes. FWIW, I also have a pair of Blue Seventy goggles that were given to me that work out well.

The best goggles are the ones that won't leak. Once you find a pair/brand that you like, depending on your training/race location you might want to find different tints of lenses to protect from the sun.
2014-09-02 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Different faces different fits. Swing by a sporting goods store and try them on. Good test would be to stick them to your face and see if they suck on with having the strap.

My face likes Aqua Sphere Kaiman abd Kayenne.
2014-09-02 9:26 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Aqua Sphere, TYR and Speedo have worked well for me.  Swim Outlet has a lot more to choose from than your local sporting goods store. 

http://www.swimoutlet.com/swim-goggles-c12158/

2014-09-02 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've mostly used TYR Team Sprint goggles for the last couple of years.  They fit me OK, plus they're inexpensive.  I usually keep a several pairs in my swim bag, both clear and blue tinted.

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of TYR Special Ops 2.0 polarized goggles and wore them in a race last Saturday for the first time.  They're more expensive, but very comfortable, with a wide range of vision.  In particular, I liked the polarized lenses to control the glare on the water as the sun came up.

Mark

2014-09-02 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have deep set eyes so it took me over a long time to find a pair that set well and didn't hurt on my long swim sets. I didn't want to use big goggles that set on your forehead not in your eye sockets because nobody else in the pool was using them but I eventually got over that stupid thought and used what was most comfortable for me.

I now swear by the Vista from Aqua Sphere. Most everyone I've recommended them to that have had swim goggle issues are now converts.

The Vista is super comfortable, I don't get raccoon eye, I've never had a leak, they provide a wide angle of visibility and they are very secure in rough water situations.

All of those go a long way to giving me confidence on race day.

Good luck.

Edited by dswezey 2014-09-02 9:32 AM

2014-09-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: dswezey

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by dswezey

I have deep set eyes so it took me over a long time to find a pair that set well and didn't hurt on my long swim sets. I didn't want to use big goggles that set on your forehead not in your eye sockets because nobody else in the pool was using them but I eventually got over that stupid thought and used what was most comfortable for me.

I now swear by the Vista from Aqua Sphere. Most everyone I've recommended them to that have had swim goggle issues are now converts.

The Vista is super comfortable, I don't get raccoon eye, I've never had a leak, they provide a wide angle of visibility and they are very secure in rough water situations.

All of those go a long way to giving me confidence on race day.

Good luck.

X2 on AquaSphere Vista - that is what I also use for all races and training after trying many brands
Also love AquaSphere Kaiman
2014-09-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: deboerkj

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
TYR spec ops 2 have been great for me.
2014-09-02 10:48 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I train in swedish style goggles and have been very happy with them. At $1.99 per pair it was worth it to me to get used to them but it definitely was a little bit of an adjustment period.

I race (and occasionally train) in Speedo Vanquish (er?) goggles. They are a reasonably priced, fairly generic goggle that seems to fit a lot of people.
2014-09-02 11:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Swedes - enough said!!!

give them 2 weeks to get used to them and you'll be hooked for life.
2014-09-02 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by deboerkj

Everyone's face is a bit different, so goggles are hard to pick from athlete to another.

you might have to buy a few different ones and just try them.

I didn't have good luck with Aquasphere kaiman or kayenne, but there are many that love them....it's just how my face is.
but I'd like to try the K180.

Blueseventy Hydravision worked ok for me. For now, TYR nestpro works the best .

2014-09-02 2:11 PM
in reply to: #5045919

User image

Aqua Sphere works for me, ladies. I have small face and flat nose. But pressing the goggles on my face is a must or else it leaks.
2014-09-02 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I'm gonna throw another vote in for the Kaimans. THey are the only goggles I've had that don't leak consistently.
2014-09-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: ponyup

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Over time I've settled on using the Aquasphere Kayenne & Seal XP.  Don't leak for me and like the visibility aspects.

X

2014-09-03 12:05 PM

User image

I find the AquaSphere Kaiman goggles really comfortable and reliable. They're my favourite goggles so far. They do fog a bit, but I haven't yet found a pair that don't.
2014-09-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have always had an issue with goggles that leak. Someone suggested I try the AquaSphere Vista. A perfect choice for me. I can wear them for two hours and never have to touch them. I also picked up a pair of their Seal which are no leak for me as well, but I still prefer the Vista. I know may people don't like the large size but I love them.

2014-09-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: mike761

Originally posted by mike761

Swedes - enough said!!!

give them 2 weeks to get used to them and you'll be hooked for life.

x2. I grew up swimming and once I figured out how to properly assemble, this is all I've used. Totally customizable and cheap. I usually buy a couple pair at a time.
2014-09-03 1:21 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Donto

Over time I've settled on using the Aquasphere Kayenne & Seal XP.  Don't leak for me and like the visibility aspects.

X

I use the Aquasphere Kaimen for training and races where there's not much navigation needed and the Seal XP for most open-water swimming.
2014-09-03 1:28 PM

I have found that gasket(regular) style goggles invariably leak, some after a few weeks, some after a few months.

Swedish (nongasket) goggles NEVER leak provided they are adjusted properly for your face. Yes, it takes a bit more work to get the fit right, but once you do you will likely never go back to gasket goggles, as the Swedes NEVER wear out since there is no gasket. 

One very helpful tip on the Swedish goggles (you have to assemble them) - I HIGHLY recommend purchasing a "bungie cord" strap to replace the stock rubber straps that the cheap swedes ship with. You can get them on most swim websites. The bungie cord lasts forever, and it makes small adjustments to tension (like tighter for racing or looser for long pool swimers) a total cinch; otherwise, it can be somewhat of a pain to deal with adjusting the single-fit size of the traditional swim goggle strap that has no easy adjust on it.

Swedes + bungie strap = no leaks, lasts forever. Try it.

2014-09-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by yazmaster

Swedish (nongasket) goggles NEVER leak provided they are adjusted properly for your face. Yes, it takes a bit more work to get the fit right, but once you do you

I find the hardest part is threading the nose bridge, I usually uses a small piece of the rubber rather then the string and sleeve. A second tip is never rub your fingers on the inside, there is a coating, a little spit and rinse is all they need. but for $2 a pair you can replace them as needed.
2014-09-03 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by deboerkj My turn for the obligatory "It depends". Everyone's face is a bit different, so goggles are hard to pick from athlete to another. I would recommend going to a local sporting goods store and try them on there before ordering online. Don't use the straps and press them against your head, they should get a good seal around your eye sockets. Of all the brands I've tried, Nike has the best ones for my eyes. FWIW, I also have a pair of Blue Seventy goggles that were given to me that work out well. The best goggles are the ones that won't leak. Once you find a pair/brand that you like, depending on your training/race location you might want to find different tints of lenses to protect from the sun.

I think this sums it up very well.  Once I land on a brand/model that fit I stock up.  My favorites are out of production now but when I find them on Ebay or elsewhere I buy what I can.  Some will last me months and others a few weeks.  

2014-09-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by GotBackup

Originally posted by yazmaster

Swedish (nongasket) goggles NEVER leak provided they are adjusted properly for your face. Yes, it takes a bit more work to get the fit right, but once you do you

I find the hardest part is threading the nose bridge, I usually uses a small piece of the rubber rather then the string and sleeve. A second tip is never rub your fingers on the inside, there is a coating, a little spit and rinse is all they need. but for $2 a pair you can replace them as needed.

yes cut a piece of the rubber strap to use for a nose piece. once the rubber strap is worn out (about a year or two) from chlorine I just toss them and use a new pair. All goggles will start to get hazy after awhile from chemical attack but the swedes are so cheap you don't worry about it. I buy about 6 to 8 pairs at a time because if you buy 1 pair the shipping costs more than the goggles.
2014-09-03 5:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by deboerkj

My turn for the obligatory "It depends". Everyone's face is a bit different, so goggles are hard to pick from athlete to another. I would recommend going to a local sporting goods store and try them on there before ordering online. Don't use the straps and press them against your head, they should get a good seal around your eye sockets. Of all the brands I've tried, Nike has the best ones for my eyes. FWIW, I also have a pair of Blue Seventy goggles that were given to me that work out well.

The best goggles are the ones that won't leak. Once you find a pair/brand that you like, depending on your training/race location you might want to find different tints of lenses to protect from the sun.

2014-09-03 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swedish.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles recommendation? Rss Feed