General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron to Marathon Training 7 weeks & long runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-02 11:07 AM

User image

Subject: Half Iron to Marathon Training 7 weeks & long runs
Question. Am I going to blow myself up?

I am Running Marine Corp Marathon on October 26th. Based on previous marathon only training plans I am way behind on my long run distance/times and my weekly run totals. However.....

This is purposeful because I am doing Toughman 70.3 on September 7 and all my training has been towards that. My longest run so far is 14 miles and my run volume has been under 30 per week.

I'll have fantastic cardio fitness but to get to the volume I'd expect to be at I'd have to do a massive ramp up on running which would be way more than 10% per week. Normally I'd expect to be doing 18 miles this Sunday, Then 20 the next week and 22 the next week with volumes closer to 40 to 60 hours. And then start tapering.

My goal is a 3:45 but not sure I'll have the long distance endurance OR if I attempt to ramp up mileage heavy that I may cause some overuse injury. (I'm 48)

Would love any of your thoughts, comments, advice or go to reading on this topic.

Thanks

2014-09-02 11:17 AM
in reply to: dswezey

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Half Iron to Marathon Training 7 weeks & long runs

I'll be doing Augusta on the 28th this month and a marathon a few weeks later on Oct 25th. Right now my long run is 14 miles too. 

Not sure I'm going to do at this point.  probably try to build the long run up to 16 before Augusta and then more after that.  Last year I did this and went from ~20 miles a week to >40 in two weeks.  I also did two 18 mile runs 2 days apart 1.5 weeks out from the race to prepare for it.  Race went really well, but I was sore for a long time after that.  I'll try to avoid doing that this year. 

2014-09-02 11:48 AM
in reply to: dswezey

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

At this point, your best bet is to just accept that you will be going into the marathon somewhat under-trained.  Take your goals off the table and try to enjoy the experience.  Continue to build after the HIM (and recovery), but don't stretch the "10% rule" too far unless you are willing to risk injury and missing out on the marathon altogether.  I know people really like to get the long runs for a marathon (with good reason) but, in your case, I think you might be better off by pushing against the "rule" with more frequent running and total mileage (adding one or two or three shorter runs each week vs. putting all your mileage increase into the long run).  Maybe get an 18-miler before the race.  You'll still have 3-4 solid weeks to train so you shouldn't really be too far off (and might still be able to hit your goal time--just don't focus on it so much).

2014-09-03 2:44 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya um well your mary is gona not be so great. I would go long runs of 15, 16.5, 8 (HIM=13.1), Recovery week 13, Taper week 8, Mary. I would agree with adding another 1-2 shorter runs in a week to support total resiliency. But with only 8 weeks and 4 of them taper weeks and 1 a recovery week that only really gives you 2-3 weeks of build in there (counting this week). Go easy on the HIM and easy on the Mary. You don't have any workout logs so can't really see what you have been doing so much. These will be enjoy the day races not go for the gold. You can train for a Mary past a HIM, but it is best to have high run mileage with longs of 17 ish coming in to the HIM and then build from there. With races this close you would probably want longs of 20 x 3 coming into the HIM, taper appropriately and then recover for the Mary.
2014-09-03 5:51 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

New user
Key West
You don't need more than 3 weeks of taper before the Mary at most, but you need to get your total mileage up on your runs spread out over the week once the HIM is done. So, you will have 4 weeks to increase mileage. The key is not to be a slave to the long run distance. You don't want it to be more than 25-30% of your total weekly mileage or you may set yourself up for injury. Most of your runs should be at an easy pace with a tempo run per week. Normally you would want to do more speed, tempo and race pace training, but you just don't have time to build mileage and speed and not avoid getting injured. This is the problem with having two major races close together. You really have to decide which one is the A race and which one is B. I agree with the poster above you said you should just expect to get through the MCM rather than to reach a time goal. If you want to reach a time goal in a Mary, you have to devote your training exclusively, or very close to it, to making that the A race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron to Marathon Training 7 weeks & long runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iron training - long run

Started by 90min2iron
Views: 743 Posts: 3

2014-04-25 8:48 AM bcagle25

20 week Half Iron Training Program basic question

Started by Ranger1188
Views: 1191 Posts: 4

2013-05-29 6:36 PM mambos

Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron

Started by niceguy542006
Views: 1189 Posts: 8

2013-02-14 7:22 AM niceguy542006

2 long training runs in same week ok?

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 756 Posts: 10

2010-08-23 8:37 AM rbishop01

Half Iron to marathon training?

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 3587 Posts: 18

2012-05-19 5:49 AM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.