United States
Lake George Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 7s
Overall Rank = 274/470
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, 3/4 bagel - dry, chiobani greek vanilla yogurt; shower, load up car and go. Bike was racked the night before so that was taken care of. Drive was about 15 minutes; arrived just after 6:00 - my swim wave was slated for 7:26. Parking was easy, set-up was pretty easy. Banana and 1 shotblock :45 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

I didn't give myself enough time to get in a run or ride so I'd change that a little and arrive earlier next time. I did get a very short swim in to feel the water which was warmer than the air.
Swim
  • 31m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

A very strange start for me - I had difficulty breathing for some reason in the first 400 yards almost as though my throat were closing up in a panic situation yet I wasn't panicking. I rolled onto my back for a second and mentally did some quick trouble-shooting; everything seemed fine so I continued on. I got pinched off multiple times and had to pull up and go around people which definitely slowed me down. About 3/4 of the way out I finally started to get into a groove and after rounding the farthest buoy and heading back in I felt really good. I didn't feel super fatigued but didn't want to push it as I haven't really trained for this race in the three distances so I wanted to conserve energy.
What would you do differently?:

The start to this race really bothered me with the feeling I couldn't breathe - not from being splashed or waves but something else; it was a strange feeling. I think I really need to work on starts - both in open water and pool to help me find my groove sooner, not at 500 or 600 yards in. I will definitely trouble shoot it this winter and maybe join a master's swim group to work on it. I also hadn't been in open water in almost a month (at my sprint tri) so that may have had something to do with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

This had a very long run from the water to the transition area so it was tough to get a low time. The cap and goggles came off easily this time and though I had used Body Glide on my ankles - both under my suit and on the suit I had a tougher time getting it off my feet than in the sprint a month ago. I chose to wear socks again and of course they take a bit to get on with damp feet but I chose to wear them as I haven't done these distances without socks and didn't want this to be the first time and risk blisters.
I also did not jump on my bike.

Just go faster getting the wetsuit off and as experience continues I'll go sockless at some point.
I'll work on a quicker bike mount for next year.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 1s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

A nice ride but plan for the hills in the last 5 miles or so - they ate me up and drained my legs. I could feel my right hamstring and left calf wanting to cramp. This was only my 3rd ride after having my bike professionally fit so I'm still working out the bugs (new seat, narrower handlebars, etc). I felt I had decent energy but still a little drained for the run. I only had 2 honey stingers and maybe 10 ounces of water.

Train more - the longest ride I had done to this point was only 28 miles. I had only signed up for this race less than 2 weeks prior. Work hills and I said it after the sprint and I'll say it here - work the hydration and food.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Under a minute so I was pretty happy. I was first in my age group for T2, 18th for females, and 69th overall! I did not jump off my bike again but I'll work on this for next year. I changed my laces out for the quick ties so I just have to pull on my sneakers - what a HUGE difference. I love the bike racks at this race - so quick and easy.

I forgot to unbuckle my helmet on the way in again. I also will work on jumping off my bike coming into transition.
Run
  • 56m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was tough for me. My husband timed my first loop to be about 26 minutes and I was whipped on the second loop. I found my first mile to be about 10 minutes which means I must have been cooking (for me) for my last 2 miles of the first lap to get 26 minutes. I walked through the 3 water stops as I knew I didn't hydrate enough on the bike to get me through the run. I also knew that I hadn't trained as much running as I would have liked for this. The very last steep, steep hill i will admit I walked about the last 30 feet as my calf had been giving me problems and was cramping pretty good. I decided to listen to my body and give it a short rest. It certainly hurt my time but that's the way it goes sometimes. I did think the section where you have to cut through a narrow foot path through the woods was surprising for a triathlon. Some of the larger rocks were spray-painted white for visibility but the light was dappled coming down through the trees making them hard to see anyway. The other change of having to run down a grassy hill (lumpy) was interesting. I took it slowly as the footing wasn't good and at this point the legs aren't so strong - and you have to do his loop twice.

I will train better for the run piece. I've always been a runner but let it slide this summer as I have been getting used to riding a road bike for the first time ever and working on the swim. Hills.
I guess I shouldn't be unhappy with a 9:13 pace (though it's slower than my half Mary pace) - I actually thought I was going slower! LOL
Post race
Warm down:

I really didn't warm down much - just walked around. I felt good though afterwards. I ate watermelon, grapes, 2 chocolate milks, 2 oatmeal cookies, and 2 bites of a roast beef sandwich. (mistake). On the drive out I started to feel nauseous. I got back to my inlaws house and had to lie down for a while. I dozed off and on for 1 1/2 hours!! Felt better after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know I didn't sleep well the night before but that is probably expected.
Overall I need to train more and I know that. I signed up for this only 2 weeks prior after only having ever done one sprint tri. I wanted to get some baseline numbers to work on for next year so I thought, what the heck, let's give it a go! This race was not on my radar to do at all and I had never even ridden my bike more than 28 miles! I think I'm pretty happy with the end results - I figured I could do it in about 3 hours and I was 2 minutes under that so I guessed right for my ability at this point. I do know areas I can work on so that is great to have that knowledge and I look forward to working on things.

Event comments:

The swim waves were good - nice size waves, not huge. It's nice to able to rack your bike the night before and not have to deal with that part the next day. It's not a flat course. I enjoyed the bike portion - challenging but nice. I wasn't a fan of the run course change at the last minute but you roll with it. The hills on the run killed me (and I run hills often) but that just means I need to train better and race smarter and plan for it. The volunteers were good as they always are at every race and good police presence at intersections. The only issue I saw was when a car tried to turn left across the runners and a few of us cyclists as we came flying down the final hill to the flats before T2. The cyclist next to me braked and started yelling at the driver, I put my head down and pedaled harder after yelling for him to stop.

Last updated: 2014-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:37 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/33
Overall: 234/470
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:01 | 24.8 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 297/470
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling. About 1/2 mile out of T1 you head up a lengthy moderate grade hill and come out onto the bike path - eventually onto a nice downhill through the trees. Rolling hills through town and another decent hill (Junkyard) before easy rollers back up to the lake. Hitting the southeast corner of the lake you start in with about 5 or so short, fairly steep hills which wouldn't bother you except you're nearing the end of your ride on fatigued legs. Finally a last downhill and flat to T2, dismount and lift your bike up over the curb onto the grass to get into T2. The roads are okay - fairly smooth but a few decent potholes that would eat you up if you didn't see them. I saw about 4 people on the route with flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:36 | 06.2 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/33
Overall: 289/470
Performance: Below average
Course: Coming out of T2 you round a corner and head uphill for over 1/2 mile. Turn left, flat and a slight downhill and left again up a very short steep section to get you onto the bike path. You're on the bike path for maybe a little over a 100yds and they send you down a dirt path through the woods (watch those roots and rocks!) and you pop out on top of a little grass hill behind a school you have to run down. This bike path, woods and grassy hill section are a change from the original run which I didn't know about until the night before!! From there across a flat section to the parking lot of the school where they have Gatorade and water. Coming out of the parking lot it starts a gentle uphill then finally the last 75 yds or so are a steep uphill - this killed me. You go left onto another street and continue a very gentle uphill before finally starting downhill back to the lake and a flat section with a water station back toward the transition area....then you have to do the loop all over again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-02 7:53 PM

User image

, Vermont
Subject: Lake George Triathlon

2014-09-03 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5046224

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Lake George Triathlon
Seemed like you did very well - nice report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake George Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake George Triathlon

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1870 Posts: 3

2008-09-16 9:28 PM LazyMarathoner

Lake George Triathlon

Started by Pokeeffe798
Views: 1829 Posts: 5

2009-03-10 6:03 PM rstocks3

Lake George Triathlon

Started by rswift
Views: 1715 Posts: 2

2008-09-16 8:29 PM WittyCityGirl

Lake George Triathlon

Started by nancylee
Views: 2773 Posts: 14

2007-09-10 10:51 AM McGRP01

Lake George Triathlon

Started by amschrod
Views: 1488 Posts: 1

2006-09-06 11:30 AM amschrod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.