General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Form Break/Exhaustion in first Open Water Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-03 8:50 AM

User image

Subject: Form Break/Exhaustion in first Open Water Tri
This is my first year doing triathlons. I had, prior to last weekend, three sprints and a splash and dash all in 50 m pools under my belt. Austin TriRock 2014 was my first open water swim. I live in the desert and there is no open water anywhere close but I thought i would be dialed in. I swim 1500m at the gym anytime and always at the same pace, consistently. TriRock was only 700m. By 100 m I knew I was breathing too hard, by 300m I grabbed my first kayak. I know this was a combination of too little OW experience, sighting too much, crowding, too fast a pace, form breakdown, debris in lake and anxiety. I tried slowing, changing stroke, etc but it was so difficult and such a struggle both physically (breathing) and mentally. I was really disappointed.
So, I know I need to change up my training with some drills. I can drive to a lake that is about 1.5 hours away but I need some drills for the pools. I have a few ideas but I was wondering if other people had the same experience and what they did to overcome it?
I appreciate any advice

2014-09-03 9:24 AM
in reply to: dloehrs

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Form Break/Exhaustion in first Open Water Tri
Open water will always be different. Going in knowing that will help a bit. Couple that with the fact that you pulse is elevated from race day excitement, nervous from a possible kick in face, having a wetsuit on (compressing your chest), etc and things are VERY different.
One of the very best things I've found is to get my face wet prior to swimming. It takes the initial shock out of diving into cold/cool water.
But all the drills in the world won't really do much to prepare you for open water. You really just need to do it for real.
2014-09-03 9:35 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Expert
Falls Church

You will probably do much better in your next OWS race setting.  You know what to expect.  The first is an unsettling experience.  

I have had the same issue --- seeming to tire way too early during an OWS compared to the pool.  I dealt with this by 'giving in' so to speak.  During all but two races I have had to resort to 20 strokes freestyle and 20 strokes breastroke for at half to a quarter of the race.  Counting strokes helps me focus.  Doing breastroke helped me recover from my little bursts of freestyle effort but still keep moving forward.

2014-09-03 1:36 PM

Before doing anything drastic, you should identify why you exhausted so quickly. There IS a reason, like it or not.

1) Was your wetsuit maximally comfortable? Or did it restrict you? Did you put it on properly? (Even a slight improper fitting could throw you off.)

2) Was sighting the main reason you slowed? The action of sighting for slower swimmers has a big energy cost - I'm fairly sure it's a lot more than for fast swimmers who thru speed/momentum in the water can pop the head up without sinking more easily. If that's the case, you should practice sighting a lot, both in the pool and in OWS practice.

3) DId you panic? If that's the case, more/harder swim training won't help as much as strategizing to purposefly avoid the initial scrum out of the gate. EVen if you waste 30 seconds waiting while the aggressive swimmers take off hard, you will most likely make it up and more unless you are a FOP swimmer by avoiding the scrum.

Additional OWS time will of course help, but I suspect that more pool time focusing on the main errors will be far more productive than driving 1.5hrs to practice OWS.

2014-09-03 4:49 PM

Don't sweat it, it happens to the vast majority of us. The first one sucks and the second one is always better.
2014-09-04 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by dloehrs

1. This is my first year doing triathlons.

2. I had, prior to last weekend, three sprints and a splash and dash all in 50 m pools under my belt. Austin TriRock 2014 was my first open water swim. I live in the desert and there is no open water anywhere close but I thought i would be dialed in.

3. I swim 1500m at the gym anytime and always at the same pace, consistently. TriRock was only 700m.
By 100 m I knew I was breathing too hard, by 300m I grabbed my first kayak. I know this was a combination of too little OW experience, sighting too much, crowding, too fast a pace, form breakdown, debris in lake and anxiety. I tried slowing, changing stroke, etc but it was so difficult and such a struggle both physically (breathing) and mentally. I was really disappointed.

4. So, I know I need to change up my training with some drills. I can drive to a lake that is about 1.5 hours away but I need some drills for the pools. I have a few ideas but I was wondering if other people had the same experience and what they did to overcome it?
I appreciate any advice

1. You have never competed in swimming I bet.
2. Typical of many triathletes.
3. Your 1500 at the gym is probably at a steady relaxed pace. You trained to swim a 1500 or less NOT race a mass start triathlon. There are two problems here: you let anxiety take control of your race and probably swam way harder than you did in training at the start, you need to stop swimming continuously in training in favour of intervals, that means not all swimming will be relaxing.
4. Train properly, don't go with the herd if you are new, you started your race like a 10 year old who is doing a longer event the first time, you went too hard and paid for it, that and anxiety are a terrible combination. Don't do random drills guessing what will help, get some coaching.

Swim occasional open water if you want but proper training with faster intervals will give athletes the ability to start fast find their place and settle into a fall in pace.

2014-09-04 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Some good advice above.  To add some things that have helped me:

1. Get a good warm-up.  Get your heart rate and breathing going and get a feel for the water.
  2. Position yourself to stay out of the pack a the start, either starting way to the side or waiting a few seconds to start behind the main group.
  3. Start out at an easy pace, slower than you think you could go.
  4. Don't think about racing.  Just focus on that you're swimming from point A to point B.
  5. Try to find some clear water and settle into a smooth rhythm.  It's tiring to swim in a pack because you're continually having to change directions, speed up and slow down, not to mention getting bumped into. 
  6. I like to count strokes.  I know it takes me about 20-22 strokes to go the length of a 25yd pool at an easy pace.  If I count 10 strokes, sight, then take ten more strokes, I know I've gone about 25yds.
  7. If I get to the halfway point and am still feeling pretty good, then I'll start increasing my tempo a bit, but not to the point where my form starts to break down.
  8. Don't worry if you have to switch to a backup stroke for a while to catch you breath, take a break, or get your bearings.  Just remember that a slow-and-easy freestyle is still faster and less tiring than other strokes for most swimmers.  If I need some more air or encounter choppy water, I'll just slow down a bit and increase my body roll to give myself more tire to grab a breath. 

Mark

2014-09-04 3:10 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

my first open water was 500M....a couple weeks ago.

Although i did not have a full blown panic attack...i had to breast stroke half of it; just so i could catch my breath.

2014-09-04 10:35 PM
in reply to: #5046348

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I had my first triathlon last weekend and it was a 750 m ows. To prepare I went to a lake to practice and found out right away I could not swim straight. I was constantly looking up to see where I was going and turning on my back to simulate a break and to re-aim. I did this in my triathlon as well. They had time trial ows starts so it was more spaced out but having practiced once before gave me an idea of how bad my aim was in ows (which from what I gather is not uncommon). Fortunately I have a nice place to practice ows for next season and will rely on "practice makes perfect!" Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Form Break/Exhaustion in first Open Water Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Third Tri , First Open Water !!!

Started by lmwel
Views: 1062 Posts: 10

2010-09-16 2:19 PM Old Ag

Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break

Started by cstoulil
Views: 715 Posts: 2

2010-08-24 2:20 PM TriAya

Getting through the first open water tri

Started by momo
Views: 1840 Posts: 21

2008-03-16 8:07 PM jmk-brooklyn

Open water swim geek out-first tri of the season

Started by aemmom
Views: 954 Posts: 12

2007-04-30 11:42 AM jmickle11

Practiced my first open water swim and I'm really disappointed Pages: 1 2

Started by tgholland
Views: 3121 Posts: 27

2007-06-25 5:44 PM aggiecatcher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 9, 2009
author : monacoiii
comments : 1
I took up swimming to heal from a back injury. I’m a runner. I run marathons. How can I not swim 25 meters? So, in order to force myself to learn, I signed-up for an open water sprint triathlon.
date : July 28, 2008
author : Lagoon
Celebrating a milestone 60th birthday with a Sprint triathlon. I followed the training program conscientiously with one exception--I never got around to practicing an open water swim.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.