General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Gal heading to NYC - East River Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-03 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Chicago Gal heading to NYC - East River Running?

Hi there NY BT peeps!

Question...I am heading to NYC for a conference next Monday and Tuesday.

Staying at the Westin Grand Central (super excited, looks Awwwwwwwwwwesome!!)

Anywho, I am also training for my 2nd marathon, and would like to do 2 runs in the morning before I have to be at the conference.

Last year I was closer to Central Park, so that was convenient, but it looks as though I am closer to the East River at this hotel...and a co-worker mentioned to me that he thought there was a running path along the river. Is that right? Is it easy to get to?

Other question, is it safe? I would probably have to start running around 5:30ish (a.m.).

Thanks!!

2014-09-03 8:05 PM
in reply to: miami9296

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Chicago Gal heading to NYC - East River Running?
I hope you get better info from someone than I can give you. I've never really run on the East side. I understand that there is a promenade that runs from the mid-upper 30s down to the South Street Seaport, but you may actually have to cross over somewhere in the 20's. The last time I tried to run on on the ES and find it, I couldn't, got frustrated and just jogged down 1st ave in the dark of the morning (not fun).

If you know you like running in Central Park, you could treat the 1+ miles up there as a warmup/cooldown. Or if you have other places to go and see you can get a citibike pass for $10/day (https://www.citibikenyc.com/) and make it a multisport morning. That could also get you to the west side, where the greenway runs from down at Battery Park up to the GW bridge (pretty flat throughout).
2014-09-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: miami9296

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome!

The greenway on the East River is much improved over the past few years, but unlike the West Side greenway, it isn't continuous from end to end. Because it can't go past the United Nations (security reasons), it breaks off aroud 37th street and doesn't start up again until 63rd. That's not convenient from where you are, unfortunately.

Here's a link with a map: http://www.nyc.gov/html/edc/pdf/greenway_mapside.pdf

Also, while I haven't spent much time on the greenway myself, I don't know if I'd feel as safe on the East Side greenway as I would on the West Side. It goes past some quite deserted areas, under some overpasses, covered parking areas, etc. I've been on it a few times and it definitely feels a little sketchy in places.

I think I would stick with Central Park or, if you want to try something different, head across town to the West side and run the West Side greenway instead.
2014-09-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Chicago

See....SO glad I checked! Ok, I think I am just going to stick with Central Park.

THANK YOU!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Gal heading to NYC - East River Running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5 Entries to the 2014 NYC Triathlon Available Through Restore NYC

Started by Restore NYC
Views: 712 Posts: 1

2014-03-26 4:37 PM Restore NYC

Running routes in Midtown East

Started by ironbaby
Views: 1809 Posts: 3

2013-10-20 4:38 PM ironbaby

AM Lap Swim at Asser Levy (East 23rd St, NYC)

Started by jdevito20
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2009-07-16 3:12 PM jdevito20

Running Clubs in NYC

Started by ering305
Views: 1148 Posts: 3

2009-07-14 9:35 AM jmk-brooklyn

Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River

Started by dinae
Views: 1137 Posts: 3

2006-10-31 6:54 PM scottradny