General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I still try to get into tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-04 8:18 AM

Subject: Should I still try to get into tri?
Hi all,

So I want to like to get into triathlon because I have an endurance background and have a couple of half marathons and marathons. But now, I would like to get into triathlon, but the problem is, I am currently learning how to bike and swim better. I have never own a bike nor swam because I live in the middle of no where. But, I am currently taking swimming lessons to be more comfortable and starting to bike more and more recreational.

I would like to start my first sprint tri in the spring of 2015 and my first olympic tri in the summer of 2015. Given that I am currently 24 years old, I was wondering if this is reasonable/possible given my abilities and if anyone has experience similar situation like mine and how they overcame it.

What is the first step should I take and should I buy a beginner's tri bike?

Thanks!

2014-09-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: tran.jacob

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Should I still try to get into tri?
As far as I can tell, you're already on your way there. You've got the running in and you're working actively on the other two sports. So the Triathlon would just be a culmination of the work you're already doing. So it's just a matter of whether or not you're willing to part with the entry fee.

You don't have to win, or place in your AG to participate. From the sounds of it, it sounds like perfect goal for where you are. Go for it; worst case scenario is that you get a really expensive addiction like the rest of us.
2014-09-04 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would say the answer would probably be the same when you decided to run halfs and marathons. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. Very doable.

Can you borrow a road bike first?
2014-09-04 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Hi Jacob and welcome to BT.

It sounds like you're approaching things the right way.  If you don't have much of a background in either swimming or cycling, then obviously you need to focus on those disciplines.  Swimming is very technique oriented, so getting lessons is definitely the right way to go.  With cycling it's more just getting in the miles.

As far as a bike, there have been a lot of discussions here in the past about whether one should start out with a tri bike or road bike.  There are some compelling argument to both approaches.  My personal opinion is that, given your lack of cycling background, you consider a good quality used road bike initially.       

I'd also suggest you take a look at some of the free training plans here on BT to get an idea of how to structure your training and the suggested training volumes for both sprint and Oly races. 

Good luck,

Mark

2014-09-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

I was thinking about buying a road bike as my first "tri racing bike" and keep it for a year or so? Will keeping a road bike be a good starter for anyone getting into tri?
2014-09-04 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by tran.jacob I was thinking about buying a road bike as my first "tri racing bike" and keep it for a year or so? Will keeping a road bike be a good starter for anyone getting into tri?

That's the way I started out.  Even if you get a tri bike, you'll like a having a road bike for group riding.

2014-09-04 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You will fall in the n+1 trap. Start off with a road. Then keep it and buy a tri bike. Then you buy a mountain bike. Then you buy XC bike...
2014-09-04 10:08 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by tran.jacob

I was thinking about buying a road bike as my first "tri racing bike" and keep it for a year or so? Will keeping a road bike be a good starter for anyone getting into tri?

I would check around for a good used bike for your first. That way, Heaven forbid, should you decide that you don't like tri, then you're not out a lot of cash. If you do decide to stay and play, you'll have gotten yourself a decent backup.
2014-09-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

Does anyone have a good road bike recommendation to start training?
2014-09-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by tran.jacob

Yep I still use my road Bike after 6 years just added some aero bars a good saddle and adjusted the fit some, its a great bike and I have no need at the current time to go with tri specific bike. You should probably look at getting something with at least a 105 groupset or an ultegra set if you think you might really get into tri's though.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-09-04 10:47 AM
2014-09-04 12:14 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Originally posted by tran.jacob Does anyone have a good road bike recommendation to start training?

Your budget will dictate what answers you get for this but Giant, Trek, Felt, Cannondale and Cervelo all make good road bikes (there are other quality brands out there but you see these show up most often in the classified ads).  A used CAAD 10 from Cannondale would be nice. 

2014-09-04 2:42 PM
in reply to: JoelO

Well since I am a runner, I usually get my shoes fitted at a running specialty store. Is there a "fit" process for bikes?
2014-09-04 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes. Find a local bike store and get fitted.
2014-09-04 3:30 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

What does getting "fitted" for a bike entails? What doe they check?
2014-09-04 4:33 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Originally posted by tran.jacob What does getting "fitted" for a bike entails? What doe they check?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

This will give you an idea...it's the static approach (you feed it measurements and it spits out a suggested size).  

There a several bike fitting systems out there that your LBS may or may not use...these are more dynamic in nature (you are aboard a bike)  You may here the names Guru, Retul or F.I.S.T.  The fitter using these systems would take some static measurements, check your flexibility, etc... before initially setting up the bike.  They would then put sensors on you to map you while you are riding.  From there, they will make adjustments to your fit to put you in the optimum position for comfort and power.  My Retul fit came with a 5 page report of the fitting, adjustments made to my current bike and optimal fit measurements if I wanted to look for a new bike.

And then there's some LBS that will eyeball you, pick a frame, put you on it and be done.  An experience eye would probably get you close but it probably wouldn't be the optimal fit and you wouldn't have the measurements you need if you wanted to shop for a new frame.

2014-09-05 8:27 AM
in reply to: JoelO

Thanks!

So what are some of the close things I should pay close attention to while checking out a bike?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I still try to get into tri? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trying my first TRY A TRI

Started by travelbug
Views: 2249 Posts: 17

2013-01-05 6:29 PM fishwallop

Never try anything new in a race...especially getting a flat

Started by F1longhorn
Views: 819 Posts: 9

2009-07-02 1:05 PM SevenZulu

anyone try devils challenge tri in baraboo, WI ?

Started by tractoral
Views: 668 Posts: 5

2004-07-30 5:33 PM CJWonder

Thinking of Trying a Tri

Started by Ladybug
Views: 581 Posts: 4

2004-05-23 8:34 AM COgirl

Try-a-Tri

Started by heatheryan
Views: 819 Posts: 7

2004-04-19 12:32 PM melcdn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : September 14, 2004
author : DoubleDown
Can anyone think of a better way to spend Labour Day weekend than doing your first tri? Ok, maybe doing your 2nd, 3rd...50th tri...but you get my point. :)