United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had breakfast then drove to Balloon Fiesta Park. We had set out some canned goods for a discounted parking fee but forgot them. 'S'all good though, either way it was going to the shelter.

Got our packets and walked those back to the car. I meant to bring my arm band so it could hold my phone, keys money etc but forgot it so i walked back and left everything but the key in the car.

There were waves set up but they weren't really sticking with those so DS2 and I jumped in to an earlier wave to get going. We agreed to go on without each other if necessary and we were off.
Event warmup:

Walking back and forth to the car. The IT Band was a bit sore so I was concerned but once we started going it was fine.
Run
  • 47m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 09m 26s  min/km
Comments:

DS2 and I started at about a 9:30 pace and quickly left everyone behind except for a young girl who stayed way ahead of us until she turned off at the first water/donut station. We headed up the hill, did the parking lot circle then headed back down to Balloon Fiesta Park and the obstacles. The first was the football tire thingy and I took that quite gingerly not wanting to sprain and ankle or fall on my face. The next was one where we just ran through some large inflated donuts hangin from a matrix of bars. I hit my head on exit and had a bit of dizzyness so sent DS2 ahead. I walked a few steps then got going again. We climbed an observation tower, climbed through some upright tractor tires, ran across a teeter/totter and ran across a zig/zaggy balance beam.

Oddly there were people that cut the course. One young lady I noticed because she was in our wave and I liked her shirt. DS2 and I quickly left her behind and passed her going the other way as we came down the hill from the parking lot circle. Then, all of a sudden, she was with us after the first obstacle! She passed me when I stopped to walk a few steps so I had a an up close view to see her go around every obstacle? Why was she even there? My thought was that she wanted to catch up to DS2 :) The other course cutter was the little girl who appeared to have skipped the trip up the hill and parking lot circle but who can blame her for wanting to get to the good stuff :)

DS2 and I think the timing was off. They had DS2 at 43:24 which is very not likely for a 5k because the obstacles added very little time. My garmin has my time at 30:27 which is much more likely
What would you do differently?:

Nothing mostly. DS2 crossed the finish line (and hence the finish photo) with a donut in his mouth. Wish I'd done that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Had a donut. Then DS2 and I hit a European themed food truck for a cappachino and a pastry (DS2 had a greek plate)

Event comments:

This is a first year event. The theme was fun and the obstacles were fun, if not a bit elementary. Hopefully this race will develop in coming years.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:10 | 05 kms | 09m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and around Balloon Fiesta Park then up a hill to do a circle around a parking lot and back down to zig/zag BFP with the obstacle course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-09-04 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Rebel Donut Dash

2014-09-04 4:55 PM
in reply to: #5046870

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Rebel Donut Dash

This race sounds like so much fun.  Were the donuts yummy?

Silly people skipping the obstacles!  You're right - what's the point?  Even so, I like the rationales/excuses you came up with for them.

2014-09-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Rebel Donut Dash

The donut (singular) was yummy but I expected no less. Rebel Donut is a local donut shop that specializes in unique flavors.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rebel Donut Dash Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bangkok Dash; Most Improved Dash

Started by gavinwpaul
Views: 1158 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 11:48 PM gavinwpaul

Splash, Pedal, Dash Triathlon & Dash, Pedal, Dash Duathlon

Started by Out2BeALoser
Views: 1859 Posts: 2

2011-08-16 11:44 AM maddawgpig