General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wish Tri bikes had never been invented . . . Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-05 9:57 AM

, Wisconsin
Subject: Wish Tri bikes had never been invented . . .
Tried some clip on aero bars on my Centurion. Couldn't really get comfortable, ended up taking them off. I think I would have needed to reverse the seat post or such and then it would have really handled poorly. A couple of weeks ago I gave myself a birthday, Christmas, Anniversary present of a 2013 Trek Madone 5.2. I absolutely love it. I love riding road bikes! Loved riding road bikes 40 years ago as a Cat 3 racer. Loved the Centurion doing a bunch of Tri up to HIM 26 or so years ago. l love riding a road bike and where I live at least 1/2 year has a lot of technical curvy, climbing, descending roads that are perfect for road biking.

So, in the first two Sprint Tri that I have done, virtually everyone who is faster than me has a Tri bike. I'm close enough that a minute or two over the 17 miles would make a significant difference. Like instead of my recent silver, I might have had gold. Or in the first one, instead of 6th in AG, might have been 3rd.

I know, realistically, who cares . . . not like starving children or anything else that means something. Still, I kind of wish the tri bike had never been invented. I think it is really a dark plot by the industry to sell us another N+1

I just had to let it out

2014-09-05 10:35 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Wish Tri bikes had never been invented . . .
There is only one logical conclusion here.

N+1 --> start shopping
2014-09-05 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
You can add cross bikes to this conspiracy. It's neither mountain, or road bike. Genius. (I'm currently looking at adding a custom cross for my next N+1)

2014-09-05 11:16 AM

User image

Pro

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  There's something about standing on the 3rd rung of the podium in an Oly, and looking at the two guys towering over you, and realizing they beat you by 13 seconds and 25 seconds... and they've got full aero/TT equipment and you don't.  That's what got me to plink down $4K.

Unless you're a pro, there's really no rationalization for these kinds of purchases.  It's a fun toy that you'll enjoy playing with.  

have fun

don't forget the aero helmet, Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit, Zipp wheels, power meter...  

2014-09-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: mike761

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mike761

N+1 --> start shopping

I've been looking for sometime Thing is, I really am not sure my back can handle that position. Ironically, the back injury dates from a rather spectacular road racing crash when I was about 20 yr/old. Over the last few months I've started working on my back pretty hard. A serious of cycling specific stretches and core strength 5-6 times a week. Swimming helps, and I just started doing Yoga classes 2-3 times/week. The results so far are encouraging. We'll be headed to Florida in a few months. I know there are places in the Tampa area that rent tri-bikes. I may at that point rent one for a day or few days and see if it is a possibility. I don't want to buy a bike and find I just can't hold that position.
2014-09-05 12:22 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by MikeD1

N+1 --> start shopping

I've been looking for sometime Thing is, I really am not sure my back can handle that position. Ironically, the back injury dates from a rather spectacular road racing crash when I was about 20 yr/old. Over the last few months I've started working on my back pretty hard. A serious of cycling specific stretches and core strength 5-6 times a week. Swimming helps, and I just started doing Yoga classes 2-3 times/week. The results so far are encouraging. We'll be headed to Florida in a few months. I know there are places in the Tampa area that rent tri-bikes. I may at that point rent one for a day or few days and see if it is a possibility. I don't want to buy a bike and find I just can't hold that position.

I have low back issues, and I think that the tri bike is not as hard on my back as the road bike. More load can be put on your elbows while riding the tri bike than your hands riding road bike. Of coarse this is after you get use to them, take some time off in the winter and you feel it in the spring.

2014-09-05 1:03 PM

User image

N+1 --> start shopping

The only people who have ever passed me and stayed ahead of me in triathlons have been on tri bikes. I have only done 7 tris and 1 du, but not one person on a road bike has done that. N+1 has definitely crossed my mind.
2014-09-05 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

What's a "road" bike

I have some back and neck issues from a skiing accident, never an issue on the TB.

2014-09-05 2:12 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

ummm.  It's a tri bike in a triathlon.   Duh.

Kidding. 

The only guys that pass me in a triathlon are the ones that are faster than me.

2014-09-05 2:18 PM

N+1 --> start shopping

Not that I want to encourage a bike purchase. . . . but. . . .

I find a tri bike more comfortable on my back than an aggressive set-up on a road bike. And it's more aero. Not sure how you have your Madone set-up but if you've got that stem slammed the odds are the tri bike won't be any more uncomfortable.
2014-09-05 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Horses for courses. There really is no "one bike" that does everything well. Sure, there are bikes that will "do" just about anything, but they're definitely not optimized for any particular cycling pursuit. For pure go-fast-in-a-straight-line type riding (non-draft-legal triathlon), the tri bike does what it's supposed to do (as long as it fits and your position is also optimized). You can get about 80-90% of the way there with a modified road bike, but that last 10-20% will always frustrate you if making it to the top step of the podium holds any importance to you.

2014-09-06 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
I'd love to make my n+1 either a Shiv or a Cervelo P5. Can't afford either, though.

I wish Specialized still made the Transition.
2014-09-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by SpeedKnight I'd love to make my n+1 either a Shiv or a Cervelo P5. Can't afford either, though. I wish Specialized still made the Transition.

Name a price point and odds are you can find several tri bikes there that could fit you. The speed difference between the well-fit tri bike you can afford and the two mentioned that you can't afford will be mostly insignificant.

Edited by the bear 2014-09-06 11:11 AM
2014-09-06 11:42 AM

New user
Key West

N+1 --> start shopping

I have low back issues, and I think that the tri bike is not as hard on my back as the road bike. More load can be put on your elbows while riding the tri bike than your hands riding road bike. Of coarse this is after you get use to them, take some time off in the winter and you feel it in the spring.

^^I totally agree. My back (and wrists) is/are in much less pain with my tri bike because of the weight distribution. I ended up with a tri bike to try to shave off some time from my HIM distance bike leg because I am pretty slow and was worried about missing the cut off time. It worked, so glad I did it. But, I bought just about the least expensive one I could find.
2014-09-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: morey000

Originally posted by morey000

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  There's something about standing on the 3rd rung of the podium in an Oly, and looking at the two guys towering over you, and realizing they beat you by 13 seconds and 25 seconds... and they've got full aero/TT equipment and you don't.  That's what got me to plink down $4K.

Unless you're a pro, there's really no rationalization for these kinds of purchases.  It's a fun toy that you'll enjoy playing with.  

have fun

don't forget the aero helmet, Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit, Zipp wheels, power meter...  

And most importantly, don't' forget about fast transitions. Those 20 seconds you didn't optimize in transition just offset the $4k dropped on expensive aerodynamic gear.  

2014-09-06 6:41 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

The only guys that pass me in a triathlon are the ones that are faster than me.

That is the winner right there !

2014-09-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Originally posted by the bear

Name a price point and odds are you can find several tri bikes there that could fit you. The speed difference between the well-fit tri bike you can afford and the two mentioned that you can't afford will be mostly insignificant.

Right now my price point is zilch. I just dream a lot, and the Shiv and P5 end up in my dreams a lot.

I'm hoping I can get a good tri-bike in 2015, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
2014-09-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: SpeedKnight

, Wisconsin
Much appreciate all the input. It is good to hear that position on a Tri bike works well for some folks with back issues. I guess I just really need to decide if spending the money is worth it to gain back the speed disadvantage vs. the AG guys with Tri bikes. I'm working pretty hard on the engine and will continue to do so. Yep, also working on smooth, fast transition and of course swim and run.

All this has really made me think though: do I spend money on a Tri bike so I can get higher AG placing? Or do I take that same money and buy plane tickets for my wife and I to go see one of our grown kids that we don't get to see often enough? Never thought of it like that before, just kind of hit me.
2014-09-08 8:28 AM

Much appreciate all the input. It is good to hear that position on a Tri bike works well for some folks with back issues. I guess I just really need to decide if spending the money is worth it to gain back the speed disadvantage vs. the AG guys with Tri bikes. I'm working pretty hard on the engine and will continue to do so. Yep, also working on smooth, fast transition and of course swim and run.

All this has really made me think though: do I spend money on a Tri bike so I can get higher AG placing? Or do I take that same money and buy plane tickets for my wife and I to go see one of our grown kids that we don't get to see often enough? Never thought of it like that before, just kind of hit me.

There's absolutely no need to drop 4k on a tri bike. You could always look for used ones. I've seen lots of good deals locally and on ebay. Now is also a good time to look at your LBS with all of the '15 models coming in probably some good deals to be had on '14 models. Especially considering some if the brands have some serious overhauls of their new lines (eg Cannondale, Felt, Orbea) that the '14 may be discounted even more heavily.

But a used entry tri bike with a disc cover and a good bike fit will get you 95% of a $10k P5 with aero everything. So could be possible to get a bike and see your kids - best if both worlds!
2014-09-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: abbattoir

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by abbattoir

There's absolutely no need to drop 4k on a tri bike. You could always look for used ones. I've seen lots of good deals locally and on ebay. Now is also a good time to look at your LBS with all of the '15 models coming in probably some good deals to be had on '14 models. Especially considering some if the brands have some serious overhauls of their new lines (eg Cannondale, Felt, Orbea) that the '14 may be discounted even more heavily.

But a used entry tri bike with a disc cover and a good bike fit will get you 95% of a $10k P5 with aero everything. So could be possible to get a bike and see your kids - best if both worlds!

Good points. Believe me, there is no way I'd spend anywhere near $4K for Tri bike. Just bought my 2013 Madone 5.2 on closeout for not much more than 1/2 that. IF I get a Tri bike it will be used, and hopefully not much more than $1K. Looks like quite a few folks buy them, use them for a year or two and then try to unload. I suspect with patience, that I could easily get a nice, clean, couple year old $3000 bike for around $1K.
But, I think I will really concentrate on the Yoga, Pilates etc that seems to be really helping my back and overall balance. I think that with continued work, I can probably slam my stem and get quite a bit faster on my road bike. Maybe enough to not even need the Tri bike.
2014-09-08 9:17 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Good points. Believe me, there is no way I'd spend anywhere near $4K for Tri bike. Just bought my 2013 Madone 5.2 on closeout for not much more than 1/2 that. IF I get a Tri bike it will be used, and hopefully not much more than $1K. Looks like quite a few folks buy them, use them for a year or two and then try to unload. I suspect with patience, that I could easily get a nice, clean, couple year old $3000 bike for around $1K.
But, I think I will really concentrate on the Yoga, Pilates etc that seems to be really helping my back and overall balance. I think that with continued work, I can probably slam my stem and get quite a bit faster on my road bike. Maybe enough to not even need the Tri bike.

Your rationalizing is all screwed up!!!

The formula is always n+1 Yoga and Pilates does not change this. The only time this changes is when you no longer have any place to store the extra bike, but you must first fill the garage, basement, guest room, kids old rooms, and hanging form any ceiling space that still allows you to walk under the bike.

2014-09-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by cnsegura You can add cross bikes to this conspiracy. It's neither mountain, or road bike. Genius. (I'm currently looking at adding a custom cross for my next N+1)

My LBS is crawling in cross bikes right now. I have the itch real bad!

2014-09-08 5:46 PM

, Wisconsin

Your rationalizing is all screwed up!!!

The formula is always n+1 Yoga and Pilates does not change this. The only time this changes is when you no longer have any place to store the extra bike, but you must first fill the garage, basement, guest room, kids old rooms, and hanging form any ceiling space that still allows you to walk under the bike.

Ah, but I am a serial monogamist when it comes to bikes. Since I got the new Madone, I haven't ridden my trusty Centurion and I feel bad ever time I see it hanging there saying "hey, what did I do wrong, hardly a missed shift in 28 years and you've replaced me with Madone . . . and you gave it the new tires you gave me first!".
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wish Tri bikes had never been invented . . . Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Having a hard time finding tri bike shoes

Started by gti123
Views: 1406 Posts: 13

2012-07-10 9:42 AM taylorz13

Does having a fancy tri bike put more pressure on me Pages: 1 2 3

Started by brreems
Views: 5844 Posts: 69

2012-07-10 7:11 PM mattramirez

Am I having delusions of grandeur? Pages: 1 2

Started by acumenjay
Views: 3517 Posts: 38

2009-06-03 3:55 PM Baowolf

I am having some swimming issues...help, please.

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1543 Posts: 8

2005-01-11 10:27 AM kepola

Well I am having some trouble!!

Started by royj
Views: 931 Posts: 3

2004-05-30 1:18 AM royj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.