General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Worth buying a wetsuit? How late do you guys swim outdoors? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-05 12:23 PM

New user

Subject: Worth buying a wetsuit? How late do you guys swim outdoors?
On a very small budget and not competing but I love swimming outside and don't want to have to head back into the pool until I really have to.

Trying to figure out how much use I could get out of a wetsuit to determine whether it's worth buying one.

I'm wondering how late in the season people generally stay outside. And not necessarily the more "hardy" people. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Factors: I'm tall and lean (5'9" and 132 lbs) so I lose body heat REALLY fast - much faster than most. From both scuba diving and swimming, I've learned that I'm almost always the first to start shivering. And I've been mildly hypothermic a couple of times this summer during half hour swims in the ocean (I think the temps were in the mid-60's). So I'm on the "wimpy" end of the spectrum. I don't mind being a little cold during swims but I can't afford to take 2-3 hours to warm back up after each swim. And I've noticed I get a kind of dopey brain fuzz thing going on which is not conducive to decision-making and post-swim drives home. So I'm probably not a good candidate for just toughing it out and/or acclimatizing. Also, I have to work after swimming so I need a fully functional brain. :-P

If I could get a used wetsuit for around $100 and keep swimming outside to say mid-October then it'd probably be worth it. But I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Also, if anyone knows of any warmer bodies of water with either large roped areas or no boat traffic anywhere near Webster or Worcester, I'd love to hear about them. I've been swimming in Woodstock, CT where there's no boat traffic and no ropes but it's beginning to get a little cold already. I did go to Hopkinton State Park last week (just to hang out on the beach with friends) and did a little swim across and back there since it was (thankfully) not a guarded beach and it seemed much warmer than my regular lake. Is that generally a place where you can just swim back and forth (from the no lifeguard side)? Or did I just get lucky that day?

2014-09-23 7:32 AM
in reply to: #5047243

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Worth buying a wetsuit? How late do you guys swim outdoors?
I live in Uxbridge and swim in open water through April-October. The smaller the body of water the warmer it is generally.Wetsuits are worth every penny if you enjoy OWS. You should also consider a neoprene cap and booties. Put a regular swim cap and cover with neoprene. You can put warm water in your suit before going in the water. Wear earplugs....it helps when the temps go down.

Ashland reservoir is a great place to swim. Get in by the boat ramp.Lake Singletary in Sutton is nice.....lots of triahletes there.

There is a small pond in Uxbridge called Pout pond. It's about 800 out and back and it stays pretty warm. Lake Nipmuc in Mendon is beautiful. Get in by the path next to the public beach.

Hope this helps!
2014-10-01 12:16 PM
in reply to: nattyo

A wetsuit is definitely worth it. I am not hardy in the slightest and couldn't imagine not using one this time of year. Keep an eye out on Xterra's site, it's virtually impossible to pay full price for one of their suits.
2014-11-16 9:17 PM
in reply to: nattyo

User image

, Massachusetts
I got my Xterra Vortex full suit for $150 new and it was the best money I've spent on triathlon gear.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Worth buying a wetsuit? How late do you guys swim outdoors? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buying a wetsuit

Started by Qua17
Views: 1211 Posts: 6

2012-10-25 2:20 PM BPC

Where can I buy swim jammers today?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 4311 Posts: 6

2010-11-26 6:03 AM Mike_D

Anyone doing any swimming this week/next at Walden

Started by newyorkfan21
Views: 1351 Posts: 5

2010-06-29 9:14 AM newyorkfan21

anybody doing Title 9? wetsuit or no?

Started by swmr2tri
Views: 1488 Posts: 7

2009-09-06 7:11 AM Kroner

1/2 Mary late March or early April?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1144 Posts: 6

2008-02-12 8:58 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.