General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Critique Video Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-05 12:55 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Swim Critique Video
I took some shots at various angles during my swim this morning. I had never previously seen myself swimming so it was a bit eye opening. It looks like my form is a bit.....squirmy? Anyway, I'd love any input you could give. Both arms do pretty different things and I'm not sure which is right.

All the shots were during sets of 200's and 100's to make sure I was fatigued and got a good representation of my stroke. The speeds range from1:10 to 1:30 per 100 meters.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice!!

http://youtu.be/yubBFeI1WyU

2014-09-05 1:16 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Swim Critique Video
Looks like your left arm is crossing the centerline of your body during your pull phase but not your right.
2014-09-05 2:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by 3mar

I took some shots at various angles during my swim this morning. I had never previously seen myself swimming so it was a bit eye opening. It looks like my form is a bit.....squirmy? Anyway, I'd love any input you could give. Both arms do pretty different things and I'm not sure which is right.

All the shots were during sets of 200's and 100's to make sure I was fatigued and got a good representation of my stroke. The speeds range from1:10 to 1:30 per 100 meters.

I'd actually love to see what it looks like when you are not fatigued. If it looks good fresh, then improvement is often a matter of training right near your "focus threshold" or that theshold of effort where form just begins to break down. Once you go past that point, you're reinforcing muscles that are executing incorrect patterns.

It's better to see if you have the correct patterns to begin with, then work on finding out what causes sthe breakdown
2014-09-05 3:24 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by 3mar

I'd actually love to see what it looks like when you are not fatigued. If it looks good fresh, then improvement is often a matter of training right near your "focus threshold" or that theshold of effort where form just begins to break down. Once you go past that point, you're reinforcing muscles that are executing incorrect patterns.

It's better to see if you have the correct patterns to begin with, then work on finding out what causes sthe breakdown

I guess "fatigued" was the wrong word. I made sure it was during my sets so you could see the real stroke I use and not just a 50 meter swim right off the bat where it wouldn't be a fair representation of my "working" stroke.
2014-09-05 3:31 PM

User image

Hereford, England
I don't know if I'm right about this, Adventurebear is probably better at saying if this is true or not as it's a bit based on TI swimming.

I've been doing a few TI elements in my swimming and reduced my 100m reps by about 6-10s.

You said about being squirmy... I've been working on when front arm having a longer reach, all the power has come from the hip. Is thrusting your arm forward out of time with twisting your hip? Again, I may be off. Just might be worth a thought?
2014-09-05 6:12 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Eucid

I don't know if I'm right about this, Adventurebear is probably better at saying if this is true or not as it's a bit based on TI swimming.

I've been doing a few TI elements in my swimming and reduced my 100m reps by about 6-10s.

You said about being squirmy... I've been working on when front arm having a longer reach, all the power has come from the hip. Is thrusting your arm forward out of time with twisting your hip? Again, I may be off. Just might be worth a thought?

It could be, I'm not sure. I think it may have to do with the fact that I don't use my legs much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Critique Video Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Critique (Video)

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 756 Posts: 5

2013-02-22 10:00 AM xatefrogg

Looking for swimming critique (video attached)

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 1875 Posts: 20

2013-03-03 10:01 AM Oysterboy

Swim critique (video included)

Started by drewlee13
Views: 916 Posts: 7

2013-02-15 4:42 PM yazmaster

Swimming critique (video included)

Started by Snaaijer
Views: 1353 Posts: 15

2013-02-16 1:13 AM AdventureBear

Help me swim faster! Swim critique video Pages: 1 2

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 3597 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 2:11 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The catch-up swim drill will allow you to extend each stroke out to it's fullest before hand entry.

comments : 0
The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

Some examples of easy 'loosen' swim strokes that are used for recovery.
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : June 29, 2006
comments : 2
The following instructions make it easy to record and upload your triathlon and race videos to your albums.

date : June 21, 2006
You won't find me here. You will find the pro's coming out of water.