General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 2s
Overall Rank = 207/460
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Little bit of training but not much. Bed early and up at 5:00a Toast for breakfast, Salty Carmel Gu 30 minute prior to swim. Ride to race and get set up. Set up wrong side of rack and in wrong row. Good thing I have learn to not have much in transition. Took 5 minutes if that to move. Got to race at 6:00a and went off in the last wave at 8:49. Next year a blanky and a pillow. Met up with sis, her gang and host of others I haven't seen lately as I'm not out there training much.
Event warmup:

Little swim once they let us in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 46s
  • 724 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't have a clue what to expect. I started way right as the buoys were kinda offset. I know I didn't feel like mixing it up like Sodus Point. Thought of doing a little dolphining but don't practice it so swam. As soon as the horn sounded I jumped and dove in. Should have let off a little bit as is smashed my goggles against my face hard and ended up with the right lens so close to the eyelid i couldn't open it. So the whole swim was siting with left eye only. Sited pretty good. 2-3 hundred yards out I was leading the pack. OK I'll take it. Just then there was kayak-er in front of me. Had to pull up still don't what he wanted. I was dead on the buoy. Rounded first buoy to left and started to pick up wave ahead. Then I feel a bump, not a person but a kayak-er paddle. Straight on line for buoy and I actually gave the back of the kayak a shove. WTF. Turn the next without getting to mixed up with the wave ahead and catch what looked like a one of my wave but say to myself I am gonna rack this swim and be first in. Push hard and wonder what this is gonna feel like on the run. Did cross the mat first in AG and wave. Nice. Maybe i should go sleeveless all the time.
What would you do differently?:

Use my goggles prior to race day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

man that was almost as long of run to the mount line as to the swim run in. The run in from the swim was quarter mile on mapmyrun. stuff off and on well. Then the checking that I have everything. Only need glasses, helmet, bike and shoes but always think I am forgetting some thing. Hey lady from relay get the hell out of the way.
Bike
  • 51m 34s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 16.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt good. The uphills were bad. The power weight ratio is all screwed up. I hammered it well and held off a lot of my AG for about 3-4 miles then started to get passed but not in droves. We were pretty stringed out so didn't have to worry about getting around folks. Saw my buddy Janet at Lake-to-lake as she said she would be. Passing some fat tire bike from previous waves. Finally to the top of the course. Phew. Back to the lake and around the college. Take a Gu and drink most the bottle of water on the ride.
I am moving down the flat and home. Of course the lady in the red Volvo wagon like 70 years old didn't look like she was gonna stop as per request of the cop so hit the brakes hard and like that 3 of my AG buddies catch up and go around. Ugh. Follow them in, we all would have been tagged for drafting but you can't drive a ref through that area. Dismount and all run the tenth of the mile into transition.

Obtain a better power weight ratio.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Well the error racking earlier caused me a little confusion finding the bike that ended up further down the row. Three of us together trying to get shoes off/on and tutu's on. Oh wait that is just me. Tutu'ed again this year. Hit the shoot and get announced out as first tutu.
Oh the tiara too!
Run
  • 33m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

All I can say is that every one cheers for a guy in a tutu. I love it. Get lots of thumbs ups and cheers. Didn't get a chance to pass Y as she started 20 minutes ahead of me and was rocking it. On the way in pass two of my AG back. As the finish line comes up more people are hanging out. Most been late in the race as had to ask them to cheer a little because how often do you see a guy in a tutu. They come back to life. Hit the finish line and Y is there cheering me in and shaking her head a little.
Another thing about wearing a tutu is you get some double takes.

Need to change the color up a little for next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab water and stand around and hangout with Y and family. Ken and Connie came down to cheer and welcome us into the finish line. Get a little eats. Same old thing, just like the shirt for the last 5 years.

Event comments:

Its a mile away how bad would it have to get to be bad. I run in a tutu and tiara for the Annalise 5K in two weeks. Little girl that died of brain cancer. For that race we all dress in tutus and princesses and have a great time.

Last updated: 2014-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:46 | 724 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 35/460
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless.
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:34 | 13.8 miles | 16.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 0/460
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:08 | 03.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 0/460
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-07 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

2014-09-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #5047642

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

I did a double take when I saw your swim pace, not used to you having a slower swim--that goggle being broken and kayakers paddling into you made for a tough swim.

Way to hang tough on the bike and run.  You know I love the tutu wearers of this world.

2014-09-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Originally posted by QueenZipp

I did a double take when I saw your swim pace, not used to you having a slower swim--that goggle being broken and kayakers paddling into you made for a tough swim.

Way to hang tough on the bike and run.  You know I love the tutu wearers of this world.

I think the course was long and that is meters.
2014-09-08 4:11 AM
in reply to: dexter

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I think you won the cross dresser catagory overall! 

Nice race and a great swim!!  Don't forget the run from the lake exit to the transition mat almost doubles the swim distance! 

You looked like you were running well!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1671 Posts: 5

2012-09-11 11:08 AM dexter

Started by robcolling
Views: 1493 Posts: 6

2012-09-11 2:10 PM robcolling

Started by kenj
Views: 1496 Posts: 5

2012-09-10 9:57 PM dexter

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 1700 Posts: 4

2012-09-11 10:57 AM dexter

Started by dexter
Views: 1608 Posts: 4

2012-09-10 8:23 AM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After riding my bike sometimes I will develop a very sharp intense pain in the first joint of my pointer finger. It seems to happen randomly and it lasts for anywhere from several minutes to an hour.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?