General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken 5th Metatarsal? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-08 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Broken 5th Metatarsal?
Anyone have experience with this?

I broke mine on July 18 and have been wearing a lovely orthopedic shoe since. Per the doctor, I am gradually transitioning into my running shoe, swimming and riding the spin bike (with low tension). I have my 8 week follow-up next week and hoping to be able to start the elliptical soon if the foot is healing well. I've been pretty much pain-free for awhile now, with only some discomfort (ache) here and there.

At my 4-week check-up the doctor made it sound like October would be the earliest I might be able to attempt any running and that was if the foot was healing properly. I was supposed to do a 70.3 in November, but that is obviously not happening. And, I'm supposed to start training for IMTX in January, but I am a little nervous about how quickly I will be able to begin running and building up mileage.

I was just curious to find out how the road to recovery went for others....how long did it take you to get back to running? DId you have any pain / discomfort? I know everyone is different, but what should I expect?

Edited by aggiegrad96 2014-09-08 11:42 AM

2014-09-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Broken 5th Metatarsal?
It took me 8 weeks from break to running, it was slow at first as my calf was atrophied and flabby, it took another 3-4 weeks or so to regain the muscel, it came back fast, but I was in my early 20's then.
2014-09-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks! Were you weight bearing the entire 8 weeks? I am a bit worried about how my muscles and such have been affected from walking weird in my orthopedic shoe. I am nearing 8 weeks, so I am hoping it won't be too much longer before I am cleared to start running!
2014-09-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Not really, The last three weeks I had a block thing attached to the bottom of the cast. I would just cruise around on crutches, when I was out of the cast, other then the scaly and dry skin that was nasty (don't be alarmed if you've never had a cast, you'll want lotion and a callus grater). the first few days I think I used a crutch as my muscles needed to wake up, I was a little unsteady. But I regained it rather quick, but like I said I was in my early 20's. it might be different if you are older. Mine was the result of horseplay and very poor nutrition, I don't think I consumed anything but beer and more beer, it was college. I was probably very calcium deficient. I changed my diet habits and started taking a multi vitamin. I am sure the checked for a smith or jones (cant remember which name) fracture, its a re-break prone one, that is a spiral fracture I believe, not a good one to have. good luck and speedy healing.
2014-10-23 8:36 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Well, 13 weeks post break and still no running! :-( I was cleared to walk (as in, for exercise) last week, but after a few days of that, I am in pain again and giving it a rest. Sigh. This is getting old!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken 5th Metatarsal? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5th metatarsal stress fracture

Started by martymo
Views: 2814 Posts: 3

2012-05-23 10:46 AM martymo

5th Metatarsal Avulsion Fracture

Started by jmoss70
Views: 2762 Posts: 3

2011-07-23 10:58 AM RunninDPT

5th metatarsal avulsion fracture

Started by charlottecowell
Views: 8718 Posts: 5

2013-09-24 11:41 AM Beth87

Healing Time for Fractures of the 5th metatarsal

Started by swiss tri
Views: 55349 Posts: 13

2014-09-26 10:17 AM aggiegrad96

5th metatarsal

Started by Wookiee
Views: 825 Posts: 6

2005-07-03 6:39 PM Wookiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 21, 2012
comments : 0
Learn about how metatarsal stress fractures form, how long the healing time is, what medicine to take for pain and how long until you can return to training.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.

date : April 17, 2005
Metatarsalgia simply means “painful metatarsal” without defining the cause of the pain. Metatarsalgia most commonly causes pain at the second metatarsal head.