General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 4s
Overall Rank = 30/610
Age Group = F3539
Age Group Rank = 4/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, got dressed and headed out. Stopped at DD on the way for a latte and breakfast sandwich.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Contemplated hopping in for a quick swim, but didn't feel that it would make a difference and didn't feel like waiting around dripping wet.
Swim
  • 14m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the third wave. I don't think I've ever had to deal with this much contact on the swim. I'm generally slow, so I started near the back, but think that was a mistake. Got caught up on a lot of people in the beginning. Things thinned out a bit, but then I was neck and neck with another woman who was stuck on my left and we kept bumping. Eventually, ducked behind her to pull off to her left side. Worst was getting boxed in a bit later with someone stuck ahead of me and on both sides. Tried to maneuver around them, but was stuck, so eventually had to grab the front legs and push her off to the side to get free.
What would you do differently?:

Next year I should line up further up for this race. While I'm not generally fast, this was a particularly bad time for me on this course and likely cost me a podium spot. I'd rather have people potentially have to swim over me than have to pick my way through so many in the future.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Overall, this went fine. My spot was close to the bike out, but that meant I had to run entirely across transition, so that is where most of my time likely came from. Apparently, I had the 9th fastest T1 time, so I can't really complain about that!

I could run a bit faster across transition, but otherwise, this went well!
Bike
  • 33m 44s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I can't really complain having the 8th fastest time on the course, but I'm capable of doing better. I think the hills got to me since I haven't been riding that much lately, and most of what I've done has been on the trainer. Overall, not too bad though...

Train more leading up to this race. I haven't been completely lazy, but I haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be either.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This part frustrated me! The racks used at this race are V shaped, with slots to put your rear tire in. While I was out on the bike, someone had thrown their small towel directly on one of my tire slots. Since it was small, I tried to see if I could just cram my tire in without moving it, but when I let go, it was clear that my bike was going to fall over if I left it. As a result, I had to reach in and dig out the towel, then rerack my bike, which definitely cost me time. Otherwise, everything that was under my control went well.

I've already sent an email to the RD asking if people can be made aware of the issue of leaving items on the rack in the future. Sadly, I've had this happen in past races with these racks as well, although usually it's wetsuits instead of towels.
Run
  • 25m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This wasn't terrible, but I was definitely expecting a sub 25 run, so it was disappointing. Not sure what went wrong. I got a little disheartened when I got passed by a woman in my AG in the last mile, so perhaps that hurt me mentally.

I need to run more consistently building up to the race. Doing runs with more hills would be helpful too, since most of the loops near my new place are relatively flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Checked the results and found that I had come in 4th in my AG, only 23 seconds behind 3rd place. I'm not going to lie, I was definitely disappointed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run performance was not what I'm capable of, but getting hung up with all the contact on the swim, as well as the towel issue in T2 definitely didn't help either.

Event comments:

I like this race and will definitely do it again next year. I was definitely disappointed with the outcome this year, but am eyeing a HIM that would be the following weekend next year, so if I do that, I should be in great shape to come back and get my revenge on this course next year!

Last updated: 2014-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:30 | 440 yards | 03m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/69
Overall: 272/610
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Straight swim, with left turn to shore at final buoy
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:44 | 10 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/69
Overall: 8/610
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Somewhat hilly loop
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:03 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/69
Overall: 55/610
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop with a couple of hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-09-08 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon

Started by rljohnsufl
Views: 1088 Posts: 2

2012-09-09 4:58 PM rljohnsufl

Started by KiterChick
Views: 933 Posts: 1

2011-12-20 12:24 PM KiterChick

Started by LisaFortuna
Views: 879 Posts: 1

2011-09-20 8:54 PM LisaFortuna

Started by Chinookto
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 9:06 AM Chinookto

Started by kpringle
Views: 1029 Posts: 1

2011-09-11 6:39 PM kpringle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
author : yaroslaski
comments : 9
I started training for triathlons in my early 20's but never entered one. Twenty years later found me still a newbie, with many extra pounds, much more humility and a healthy dose of reality.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.