General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 45s
Overall Rank = 56/208
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 45 min earlier than I typically do on race day, recalling the crowds of the 2012 race. Cup of coffee and twigs and berries cereal, with some water and a Clif bar an hour before the race
Event warmup:

Not sure if you can consider huddling neck deep in the water to avoid the cold, cold rain and wind to be a "warm-up". Definitely got my heart rate up between shivering and teeth chattering.
Swim
  • 17m 26s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

An average swim - much more comfortable with other people jostling around me in the water than I used to be.
What would you do differently?:

From now on, I will find someone associated with the race and have them tell me exactly what the course is for my distance/event prior to getting in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

A pretty big race, so a pretty big transition area to get in and out quickly. I had wrapped my cycling shoes and running shoes in plastic shopping bags considering the deluge during registration, and while it took a little time to get them unwrapped, I was happy to have dry shoes.

Still putting my shoes on and running in cleats - maybe someday I will get comfortable with keeping my shoes in the pedals.
Bike
  • 46m 28s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I also noticed this in 2012 - I swear the course is longer than advertised (14.5 miles and not 20km/12.4mi). Now I'm beginning to think my cyclometer needs calibrating.

Still need to push it more on the bike. It always seems like a delicate balance between not hard enough and too hard, with too hard resulting in a lousy run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

As with my bike shoes, I wrapped by running shoes in a plastic bag to keep them dry. While it added a little time to the transition, I was very, very happy not to be running in soggy shoes.

Not much. Happy with this transition.
Run
  • 24m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried a few new things/cues - 1). deliberately went out at a slower pace than usual for the first mile (~8min/mi) and picked it up from there, 2). tried to keep my arms down 3). tried to keep good posture, imagining that I was being pulled forward by a string from my belly button 4). raised my shoulders to my ears a couple times to keep my upper body relaxed. Also, I ended up sprinting down the chute in a neck-and-neck battle for 9th place (which I lost, but apparently he wasn't in my AG anyway?)

Result: a PR on my 5k!

So it was only a 1-second PR. And the previous PR was this same race in 2012, leading me to believe that the 5k run might be something more like 4.7k. But either way, as I always say here, what I would do differently is run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Shook hands with the dude who beat me at the line, sucked wind for a bit, and had a couple cups of lemonade and a banana while stretching on the beach

What limited your ability to perform faster:

With only two weeks between this and my previous race, my training was what it was - no additional interval work would have improved my fitness by this point. As in previous races, the bike continues to be my weakest leg and will be the target of my future training.

Event comments:

This is, and continues to be, a very large race/series compared to some of the smaller events I do each summer, but it was much better organized and coordinated than my previous experience in 2012. The only thing that kept the events from going off on time was the weather. I like this race because the ride is fast without being dangerous (no ridiculous descents) and I seem to do well on the run course.

Last updated: 2014-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:26 | 750 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 53/208
Performance: Average
Suit: Jammers
Course: Rectangular? I think??
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:28 | 14.5 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 48/208
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back (gradual uphill out, gradual downhill back)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:06 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 48/208
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back (downhill out, uphill back)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-09 3:13 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge Sprint Triathlon

2014-09-09 7:22 PM
in reply to: #5048422

User image

Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge Sprint Triathlon
Glad to see someone else's bike mileage was longer than advertised; I thought it was just me! Definitely helps to explain my time and the difference between my average speed on my Garmin vs. the race results.

Congrats on your finish; hopefully the weather will be better next time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

Started by godseyt
Views: 751 Posts: 1

2012-09-06 1:22 PM godseyt

Started by apicek
Views: 999 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 6:31 PM apicek

Started by orreo5859
Views: 955 Posts: 2

2012-08-28 11:38 AM DirkP

Started by MOWOG
Views: 1128 Posts: 3

2012-09-06 2:03 PM godseyt

Started by mambos
Views: 1083 Posts: 4

2011-08-23 8:01 PM DirkP
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 0
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.