General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about Ogden, UT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-11 1:25 PM

User image

, Utah
Subject: Tell me about Ogden, UT
Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Ogden, UT area from Atlanta, GA. We work from home so jobs are not a concern. We are both in our early 40s, no kids, 4 dogs. My husband is born and raised in Atlanta and I was born and lived in Michigan up to age 21 - so I'm used to cold snowy winters and grew up doing winter activities like ice skating and skiing! We have a treadmill, home gyms strength equipment, and I have Wahoo Kickr so I'm fine with indoor training when needed. The appeal of Ogden is the outdoor activities and mountains. We both love that part of the country - but we've never lived there. I do triathlons (sprint to Ironman) and a lot of trail running races and my husband primarily does trail running races - he doesn't do tris. So what is it like living there? How are the local masters swim teams? Training scene? I tend to train solo, except for masters swimming, so I'm not too concerned about training groups but I would like to find a good masters group. I love my team here - we swim M-F 5:45-7:15 AM and they also have T, Th evening practice and Sat AM practice, so I'd love to find something similar. I imagine it isn't too hard to find trails to run on or cycling routes? Any pros/cons that anyone can think of that I should be aware of? Any good areas that anyone can recommend for house hunting? We want a nice view from our house, so we don't want to be in a neighborhood where our only view is our neighbor's house. My husband has been going out to Salt Lake City a good bit recently for work and we're planning to trip out to Ogden this fall after IM Chattanooga to check things out and explore where we might want to live. Any tips, suggestions, ext would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2014-09-12 8:09 AM
in reply to: #5049137

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tell me about Ogden, UT
Ogden has great trails in the area. Snow Basin Is Some Of The Best Single Track you can find. During the winter alot of us run on Antelope Island, it usually don't get the snow as bad as the foothills. As far as a masters swimming group I know there is one st the Marshall white center. I can't make the time they swim so I don't know if it's good or not. Biking here is amazing, there are 3 group rides that I know of in Ogden. As far as a good view. N. Ogden pleasant view area. Or maybe s Ogden area. If you like skiing there are 3 resorts within an hour of ogden. Snow basin is the most popular.
2014-09-12 4:06 PM
in reply to: garrunning

User image

, Utah
Thank you for the reply! We're looking forward to traveling out soon to check out the different neighborhoods. A lot of our moving depends on if we can sell our current house, and then we'll probably need to rent for a while, which should help give us time to figure out exactly where we want to be live out there.
2014-09-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: little red

User image

Utah
As Jarrod mentioned, all of the above is true. I live just south west of Ogden. We have a great tri group as well that meets weekly for open water swims during the summer at Pineview, and there is always a Saturday running group or something going on. We also have a lot of great local races as well, so it is a fun place to live, train and race.

2014-09-18 2:37 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

, Utah
Thank you! My husband and I have always loved the mountains and are excited about the possibility of relocating! I think we will have a LOT of time to research where we want to live and take some trips out to get the lay of the land. We hope to get out for a few days either the end of October or beginning of November. I doubt we will put our house on the market until late winter/early spring and I expect it will take a while to sell. What are the best masters groups in the area? Are there any groups that meet Mon-Fri in the morning starting around 5:30-6 AM? Thanks!
2014-11-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: #5049354

User image

Veteran
I'm not sure but I heard of a 2 groups. One at weber state and one at ogden high. Not sure if the are a masters group. I will see what I can find out

2014-11-18 3:57 AM

User image

, Utah
Thank you but we have actually now already ruled out Ogden since it would put us farther away from SLC then we want to be. We are now thinking we might be better looking at Sugar House, Holladay, Millcreek, etc... We will start out renting a house before we buy to make sure we are in the area where we want to be long term. Our house goes on the market in Atlanta on December 1 so hopefully we'll be out in Utah by summer!
2014-11-29 6:56 PM

I moved to Salt Lake City from Memphis about 9 years ago. I can't even describe what it was like moving out here after living in the deep South. Mountains, lakes, bike lanes/trails, no huge bugs, no humidity, the list goes on. In the Sugar House area, there are two different Master's swim groups within easy driving/biking distance: Steiner Center for the hard-core and Fairmont for the more laid back. Come on out!
2014-11-30 10:35 PM
in reply to: Jill7Wilson

User image

Elite
Utah
Originally posted by Jill7Wilson

I moved to Salt Lake City from Memphis about 9 years ago. I can't even describe what it was like moving out here after living in the deep South. Mountains, lakes, bike lanes/trails, no huge bugs, no humidity, the list goes on. In the Sugar House area, there are two different Master's swim groups within easy driving/biking distance: Steiner Center for the hard-core and Fairmont for the more laid back. Come on out!

heehee! I moved from Baton Rouge (born and raised in South La) to Logan, UT in January of 1998. Talk about environmental shock! I've lived in Salt Lake Valley since September of 1999. I recently looked at moving and have decided I can't leave.
2014-12-01 8:26 AM
in reply to: geauxtri

User image

, Utah
Thanks again for all the replies! Our house in Atlanta officially goes on the market tomorrow! We are very excited about moving and would love for our house to sell in time to get there with some of the ski season left! Our challenge will be finding a rental home in SLC that will allow our 4 dogs (pit bull mixes) until we can find a house to buy. I'm definitely NOT going to miss the oppressive humidity of the Atlanta summers and am looking forward to mountains and trails! Good to hear from some other people who have relocated to SLC from the south. A lot of our friends think we are crazy to move to Utah instead of Colorado but I think Utah is much nicer and more beautiful. I hope to meet you all out there on the roads, trails, or pool!
2015-05-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Originally posted by KatieLimb

As Jarrod mentioned, all of the above is true. I live just south west of Ogden. We have a great tri group as well that meets weekly for open water swims during the summer at Pineview, and there is always a Saturday running group or something going on. We also have a lot of great local races as well, so it is a fun place to live, train and race.

Hi Katie! I am near you I think. I would love to find out about any local groups! I am just starting out. I signed up for the Bear Lake Olympic distance in September. I just read your recap of the sprint distance from two years ago and now I'm a little freaked out about the sea weed and hills, though!!!!

2015-06-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: geauxtri

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by geauxtri
Originally posted by Jill7Wilson I moved to Salt Lake City from Memphis about 9 years ago. I can't even describe what it was like moving out here after living in the deep South. Mountains, lakes, bike lanes/trails, no huge bugs, no humidity, the list goes on. In the Sugar House area, there are two different Master's swim groups within easy driving/biking distance: Steiner Center for the hard-core and Fairmont for the more laid back. Come on out!
heehee! I moved from Baton Rouge (born and raised in South La) to Logan, UT in January of 1998. Talk about environmental shock! I've lived in Salt Lake Valley since September of 1999. I recently looked at moving and have decided I can't leave.

I grew up in Davis County.  My family was transfered to Tulsa, OK with my dad's work the summer before my junior year of highschool.  Yep...environmental shock is real.  I was working all summer at a Scout Camp at 8600 feet elevation through the end of July then went to an Oklahoma heat wave that hit heat indexes over 110 deg.  My fist two weeks there.  My highscool cross country team did early morning runs the first few days I was there then when school started the 2nd week of august we started afternoon runs and I got heat exhaustion on a 4 mile run my first day in the heat and nearly passed out.  It was one of the scariest things that has happened to me in my life, and I nearly quite the cross country team because of it.  

Note:  If you live and train in Oklahoma humidity & heat you will have no problem with the altitude of Utah if you go there to do a race, but if you live and train in Utah you may run into problems if you travel to the south and race on a hot humid day.  :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about Ogden, UT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Rental Ogden or SLC

Started by weissjaz
Views: 1207 Posts: 3

2015-09-14 1:12 PM little red

Ogden Tri- Anyone going?

Started by agaudin
Views: 1852 Posts: 8

2008-09-22 10:36 AM sevrdhed

Ogden Tri