General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gloves / mask Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 3:02 PM

User image

Subject: gloves / mask
Hello BT,

This year is my first cold weather training. This morning bike workout was 50F. My body was okay but my hands were cold. And the cold wind on my face and ears were annoying.

I lived in tropical weather (80F all year round) most of my life (only been here in the U.S. for 4 yrs), thus, I get cold easily.

Could you suggest what brand name of gloves and mask that will keep my hands and face warm?

Thank you.

2014-09-15 8:19 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: gloves / mask
I bought the Pearl Izumi gloves (link below) and they work well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLOZP6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o...
2014-09-15 9:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

Phebes, are you cold the first few minutes or throughout the entire run? Something to learn about running in cooler and colder weather is balancing out being a bit cold in the first mile or so and then warming up to a nice temperature. Some people tough it out more, others may layer a little or have vents & zippers to open up, sleeves to roll.

More directly to your question, for just slight chill cheapie stretch gloves and hat will do just fine in the temps you describe and probably down into the 30's. These could be like $2-6 or so found at something like Target, Walmart or whatever similar store you have nearby. Even professional level runners will wear them for racing.

The gloves the other guy linked are probably a decent pair, but are meant for colder weather than this. I'd guess you'd be hot and could get some sweaty hands fairly easily. You may eventually want to look at something like those, but it depends on how cold your area gets. As the weather gets colder, and depending on how cold, you'll look at heavier duty things. I have a few levels of gear and can go out in just under 0F.

2014-09-15 11:48 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Phebes, are you cold the first few minutes or throughout the entire run? Something to learn about running in cooler and colder weather is balancing out being a bit cold in the first mile or so and then warming up to a nice temperature. Some people tough it out more, others may layer a little or have vents & zippers to open up, sleeves to roll.

More directly to your question, for just slight chill cheapie stretch gloves and hat will do just fine in the temps you describe and probably down into the 30's. These could be like $2-6 or so found at something like Target, Walmart or whatever similar store you have nearby. Even professional level runners will wear them for racing.

The gloves the other guy linked are probably a decent pair, but are meant for colder weather than this. I'd guess you'd be hot and could get some sweaty hands fairly easily. You may eventually want to look at something like those, but it depends on how cold your area gets. As the weather gets colder, and depending on how cold, you'll look at heavier duty things. I have a few levels of gear and can go out in just under 0F.

Great commits if she was talking about running. She said BIKE.

I tend to stop riding my road bike when the temps are under 50, I know a lot of other people do by I change my workouts. This is when the temp will be 50 or below for the whole ride, I don't mind starting at 50 if it will be warming up into the high 50's or 60's.

I use the trainer in the cold months and I go Mountain biking. I can MTB down to about 15-20 before it's too cold, and we don't get a lot of those days around here.
2014-09-15 12:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

The Pearl Izumi gloves would be good for cycling, not so much for running.  You might also consider an ear-covering headband.  It will shield your forehead and ears, which take the brunt of the cold on the bike.  You won't have so much problem with the wind while running unless there's wind outside.  In that case, you can wear your headband and some gloves.  When it's cold, I usually start out with some light hand-covers (gloves/mittens) but take them off pretty quickly as I warm up.

2014-09-15 1:01 PM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761

Great commits if she was talking about running. She said BIKE. I tend to stop riding my road bike when the temps are under 50, I know a lot of other people do by I change my workouts. This is when the temp will be 50 or below for the whole ride, I don't mind starting at 50 if it will be warming up into the high 50's or 60's. I use the trainer in the cold months and I go Mountain biking. I can MTB down to about 15-20 before it's too cold, and we don't get a lot of those days around here.

Ok, missed that, she's posted quite a bit about learning colder weather recently. I tend to ride less at those temperatures. And since it's bike, would also pay attention to how much colder it might get and you'd still want to do it. I've been out in the 20's, but more recently it's seemed less worth it before that. Usually once I have to start putting on lots of stuff. Are there any bike stores near you or an outdoors store with bike sections? Like an REI? Can be some good stuff available and not just from more typical bike clothing brands.

2014-09-15 1:06 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

The Pearl Izumi gloves would be good for cycling, not so much for running.  You might also consider an ear-covering headband.  It will shield your forehead and ears, which take the brunt of the cold on the bike.  You won't have so much problem with the wind while running unless there's wind outside.  In that case, you can wear your headband and some gloves.  When it's cold, I usually start out with some light hand-covers (gloves/mittens) but take them off pretty quickly as I warm up.

Some things like the gloves can work for running, but at much colder temps than for biking. Gloves like those would be what I use in the lower temps mentioned earlier. I'll use some non-padded cycling tights and a cycling jacket for running as well. They can have some serious wind stopping ability, but do need to pay attention to putting things together as that same feature can also make you sweat a lot.

2014-09-15 4:58 PM

User image

Amazingly, I did a bike,run, bike brick, my hands were only cold during the bike course.
2014-09-15 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Phebes, as the temperature drops i have several different pairs of bike gloves. Sometimes full fingered bike gloves are sufficient but as it gets a lot colder I have a pair that is a lobster-claw type mitten over a spandex glove. Those are the only gloves that keep my hands warm on my winter rides. Do you have a bike shop there? They would have something like that. Otherwise next time you are in Albuquerque there are plenty of good stores.

2014-09-15 5:06 PM

User image

Thank you all for your suggestions, we only have a Walmart here ( no Target, REI etc.) We do have Big 5 but it's very limited (the closest sporting good s store is about 150 miles away). I do prefer going to a store and try the gloves cause I have tiny fingers. It's hard to purchase something online unless there are reviews to find the right size.
2014-09-15 5:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Phebes 

Amazingly, I did a bike,run, bike brick, my hands were only cold during the bike course.

That makes perfect sense. Are you familiar with wind chill factor? At the same temperature, more wind will cool things off more quickly. The measured wind speed can be the same for your bike and runs, but you're moving through the air. And likely moving quite a bit faster on the bike.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-15 5:37 PM

2014-09-16 1:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-985/defeet-wool-dura-gloves-unisex/?...

I would skip covering your face at 50, you will sweat and become more uncomfortable. You described the cool air on your face/ears as annoying. Wear toe covers and gloves. That will cover off the real areas that need protecting at 50, below that a headband works well to take the chill off the ears.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5019-668/pearl-izumi-barrier-headband-uni...
2014-09-16 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Biggest issue I have riding in cooler weather is the wind. Wise of you to realize you need extra protection as to often folks just suck it up and get cold hands and feet. I have damaged my feet riding in to cold weather without protection and now my feet are very sensitive to cold temperature.

I agree with others that what works for you may be different than me or others. As temp drops more important to me is to block the wind. At 50 that isn't as much as a factor than at 40 and below.

For me at 50 I would might wear a headband type head gear to keep my ears warm. For my hands I would use full finger gloves that are same as I would use for Cyclocross racing.

Often folks toes and feet get cold but they don't realize it. I love wearing toe covers by PI that in cooler weather instead of adding thicker socks that can backfire and make your feet cold since shoes are then to tight.

2014-09-16 11:46 AM

User image

Thanks for toe cover suggestions, this is the first time I've heard of toe covers. And you are right, I wore thicker socks and my run was uncomfortable.

The gloves also look like it will feet my skinny fingers.
2014-09-16 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
My fall early spring riding gear is Cwx insulator tights, toe covers of full covers, skull cap or balaclava depending on temp under the helmet, NB vest or light windbreaker, Dakota work gloves offer good flexibility and excellent grip, long sleeve top or thermal Long sleeve depending on temp, Marino wool socks.

I can pretty much bike down to the mid 30's with this stuff as long as there isn't any snow any colder and you have to watch out for frostbite on your face from the wind chill.
2014-09-16 5:31 PM

User image

There are a couple of things you should consider. I lived in the tropics also and now am in Northern Ontario. The tendency is to want to be warm when you exercise but that actually makes you colder. Your body's cooling system is sweat. Water on your skin sucks the heat out of you. If you put on a mask or gloves that are too warm or wear too heavy clothes, the slight amount that you sweat will make you feel colder when the wind is whistling by you on the bike. Try to go as light as possible, especially around the head. I would recommend not to put anything on your head. I know it's annoying but you have to learn to embrace it as one of those things that flesh is heir to.

2014-09-16 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I wear thin wool socks or technical socks in some cold weather and have never had an issue. There is more dead air space in my running shoes that way. Like the other guys have said sweat too much and you will be cold. You should never feel toasty before you start a winter session.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gloves / mask Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

face masks

Started by omaha8
Views: 800 Posts: 5

2008-10-21 8:29 PM kmill23

Swim mask vs regular googles for OWS

Started by Fab
Views: 1380 Posts: 18

2007-05-31 3:41 PM RBRMIKE

Aqua sphere seal mask

Started by auto208562
Views: 1211 Posts: 15

2005-03-07 8:56 AM mlaugustine

Leaky Seal Mask

Started by David_Zen
Views: 685 Posts: 3

2004-08-11 7:34 PM zagagirl

TYR Swim mask goggles Questions

Started by DRM
Views: 2013 Posts: 9

2004-06-11 8:59 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.