General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just curious--strength as % of body weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-14 4:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Just curious--strength as % of body weight
There was a thread here some years back where somebody mentioned what % of one's body weight one should be able to lift in various exercises as a minimum for, I think, being strong enough for performance on the bike. I think it was one of the coaches and their point was that weight training was not necessary unless one was a real weakling.....er....like me, maybe. What's average/desirable for a fairly lightweight woman triathlete to be able to lift as a % of her body weight for example, with leg press or bench press? I'm just comparing me to myself and a few creampuff types at the gym, and have no idea if I'm even in the ballpark!

2014-11-10 6:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Just curious--strength as % of body weight

When I was going to the gym regularly in the spring, my 1 rep max squat was 108% of my body weight and my 5 rep deadlift was 108% of my body weight too. I don't know how that compares or if it helps, but that's one data point.

2014-11-11 4:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks--I haven't done free weight squats lately but i remember in HS I could basically do at/just above my bodyweight (about 112 pounds then, 115-117 ish now) when I was lifting regularly in swim season. My coaches always claimed I was really strong for my size. With leg press on the machine I can do 12 x70 kg (I'm about 53 kg) without too much struggle. Max is probably about 80 kg. I'm reluctant to max out on this stuff as I don't want to mess up my knees. There are plenty of women my size in this country and some at the gym, and I do outlift most of them, but don't know their athletic background.

I always struggle on the bike (with speed on the flat, actually a strong climber) and wondered if it had to do with some kind of weakness particular to me. I know in general bike speed isn't necessarily tied to "strength" per se, but it always reminds me of these step-jumping drills we did in college. I was the only one who couldn't muster the explosive strength to jump up the steps. He said he'd never had a runner unable to do it ( and we had some pretty scrawny specimens on that team) so I always thought maybe something is wrong with me, strength-wise, specifically my quads or glutes. But then, how do I get up hills?

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-11-11 4:21 AM
2014-11-12 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I was lifting pretty regularly this summer because I was training for some track racing, and I did bulk up. I usually weigh about 125lbs, but gained a bit and was about 130-132lbs. My coaches claimed that I was strong for my size too, but I don't know if they were just flattering me. It sounds like we were lifting about the same relatively, so maybe they are right. 

I have to say, that even though I was stronger this summer I don't think it helped with road riding. I had more power, but also more mass to drag up hills and I wasn't as competitive in hillier road races. That was fine with me then because I wasn't targeting those, but this year, I will definitely lift less and/or confine my strength training to the winter. It's definitely a fine balance and one I'm still looking to solve. I'm not sure I TT'd better this year even with more power, so I'm going to try leaner this year.

2014-11-13 11:43 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If you can get up hills, strength is definitely not your issue.  At your size, though, your absolute power output will be lower than most riders bigger than you.  That matters on the flats.  You can do your best to be as aero as possible which will offset a lot of that when it comes to speed comparisons.  But to be able to apply more power for longer, ride more and ride harder.  And sign up for hot, hilly races when you can. 

2014-11-14 3:23 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh--I guess I just need another body. Keep telling myself that I must outweigh Rinny and while biking isn't her forte, she's sure a whole lot faster than me! A lot of my competition in SE Asia are pretty petite women, but some of them can still power past me on their little bikes. I'm thinking of getting a better bike, probably a tri bike--I don't think my Trek 1.2 here is a good fit. It's really comfortable for the long haul, but I'm not very aero. If it makes any sense, the reach is too short and I'm too bunched up, not very flat. My upper body's really flexible and I have good core strength (probably from swimming fly as a kid) so I think I could be in a much more aero position than I am and still be comfortable.

Probably no way around riding more and riding harder, either. It just seems to come to me with such difficulty. I have friends who barely train who can outbike me. Pretty discouraging. I do one good race and then I don't see that level of performance the next time, but it feels like the same effort. It just feels like everyone sails past me like I'm standing still.

Hot races, yes, we have them in abundance here. Unfortunately a lot of them are pancake flat. I haven't actually done that well in some of the hillier events, but maybe because they are just small rollers. I do better with races that have several serious climbs.

2014-11-14 12:15 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Especially in flat races and with your smaller size (which will mean less absolute power versus most bigger riders), getting a good position on the bike is important--for both aerodynamics and being in a good position to create as much power as you are able.  But, no, no way around riding more and harder either. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just curious--strength as % of body weight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

what is a good no weight/weight room upper body workout

Started by BigDH
Views: 3520 Posts: 15

2012-11-08 2:52 PM Teejaay

Free Weights vs Body Weight

Started by Decathlete_Zorgs
Views: 6114 Posts: 9

2011-09-27 10:10 PM jgs733

Cardio with strength/weight training

Started by andyman
Views: 2377 Posts: 13

2009-10-15 7:41 AM brukewilliams

Strength training with no weights

Started by x_caliber50
Views: 1295 Posts: 4

2009-05-07 6:32 AM x_caliber50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mrakes1
Far too many people are looking for quick body composition fixes, easy exercise programs and anything to keep their eating habits (and waistlines) under control.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.