General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike but not by choice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-16 9:47 AM

User image

Subject: New bike but not by choice
I was in a really bad bike accident last month (47 stitches to my face, separated shoulder, two breaks in my wrist) and I completely cracked my quintanaroo in half.

I am getting a Jamis trilogy (yes its from 2009 but it was brand new from the manufacturer and I got a really sweet deal on it). Anyone familar with the trilogy. Because I couldn't even try bikes with my broken wrist I didn't get to test ride any bikes like last time where I rode both a qr and a blue and chose the qr because it felt like a better ride to me. The bike is here still haven't rode just got to look at it. Anyone know how the geometries for the qr kilo 2012 will feel in comparison to the 2009 jamis trilogy?

This is the bike, she is sweet looking and has great components and race wheels (everything on the bike is an upgrade from my qr frame, components and wheels).

Here is what is left of my old bike

2014-09-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: New bike but not by choice

Not to be a buzz-kill, but... You bought the bike without even riding it? You don't know how it compares to your QR geometry- or ride-wise?

I hope it works out well for you. Heal up -- that's the most important part.

2014-09-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

I realize that but I am getting a fit for it next week, a good fit and its the right size for me.
2014-09-19 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you do not get back to your activities too quickly. I made that mistake after a crash last year, thinking I was all badass biker chick, and it ended up causing my injuries to get worse, and more than doubled my healing time. So, please take time for your body to heal.

Hope you like the new bike (but don't ride it yet, please!!!!)
2014-09-19 10:27 PM

Very sorry to hear about the accident. But you have a positive attitude for getting back on the bike. Because you are looking to get a new frame/bike there are a few things to make sure of:

For the basics, make sure you are getting the right equipment for YOU. Get the equipment that will have the biggest marginal impact on your racing. If that is the bike, then delve into that avenue, but don't neglect a good wetsuit and run shoes. Bike technology has blown up in the past several years, so it's imperative you know what will be best for you and your use. Also BIKE FIT. Get a GREAT one. A good fit will drop more time both on the bike AND OFF. You'll be able to run easily vs a poor fit. You'll probably be passing many people with top gear.

Take about a little time and listen to episode #19, on TriathlonResearch.org , it will definitely give some great insight, I have found it very helpful. It's with Seton Claggett, founder of TriSports, discussing gear on all three of the disciplines. He lays it all out wonderfully.

Good luck on your bike search!
2014-09-24 2:41 PM

Ardmore
Heal up quickly.

I love my Jamis bikes. I'm selling my 2010 Jamis Comet Tri bike, not because it's no good, but I'm upgrading bikes as a present to me for my 40th this winter.

These are great bikes, well constructed and a nice ride.

As others noted, get a fitting and enjoy the new ride.

junr

2014-09-24 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

Hope all is still going well! 

Here's that link for more info about the bike gear discussion

If you are still looking at the Jamis trilogy, and it's near the spec of your previous ride AND you get a deal on it, do it. (Test ride when you can though). If it's the same size as your last bike, use the extra cash you saved for a bike fit. Then train on! 

(Sounds like you went for it and got the fit based on previous comments) Keep at it! 

Edited by TreadandButter 2014-09-24 9:19 PM
2014-09-24 11:11 PM
in reply to: TreadandButter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by TreadandButter

Very sorry to hear about the accident. But you have a positive attitude for getting back on the bike. Because you are looking to get a new frame/bike there are a few things to make sure of:

For the basics, make sure you are getting the right equipment for YOU. Get the equipment that will have the biggest marginal impact on your racing. If that is the bike, then delve into that avenue, but don't neglect a good wetsuit and run shoes. Bike technology has blown up in the past several years, so it's imperative you know what will be best for you and your use. Also BIKE FIT. Get a GREAT one. A good fit will drop more time both on the bike AND OFF. You'll be able to run easily vs a poor fit. You'll probably be passing many people with top gear.

Take about a little time and listen to episode #19, on TriathlonResearch.org , it will definitely give some great insight, I have found it very helpful. It's with Seton Claggett, founder of TriSports, discussing gear on all three of the disciplines. He lays it all out wonderfully.

Good luck on your bike search!

Max or whatever your name is....

First, if I have made an error, I apologize...

I have noticed several different 'posters' in the past few days screamin' "Hey, lookie here at this website." All of these users have a similar profile - that is blank with just a name of some locale, and nothing more... and all signed up within the same few days . The first of these posts had some odd link,,,,, And, I recall another well-known forum member here mentioned to you to just put the link in your signature....

The syntax of all these posts is the same..... I see these at ST, as well, where you have been called out as a spammer...

Again, IF I have erred, my apologies.... But, IMHO, coming to an established site, trying to drive traffic to your own blog, with an .org domain screams at me, and I find it offensive to all here, and more importantly to the founders of beginnertriathlete.com

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike but not by choice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Tri Bike, Invest or Not To Invest?

Started by tafrohberg
Views: 2170 Posts: 6

2011-04-08 12:53 PM tjh

A new Tri Bike or not? Help please

Started by quickdrawdubois
Views: 1815 Posts: 13

2011-01-05 9:45 PM m2tx

Regretting not buying new bike for first tri

Started by Cphelan
Views: 1577 Posts: 11

2010-09-02 2:19 PM Cphelan

From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices

Started by fbd_skeez
Views: 541 Posts: 1

2007-07-25 3:50 PM fbd_skeez

From Road Bike to Tri Bike-Too many choices

Started by fbd_skeez
Views: 795 Posts: 4

2007-07-26 7:43 AM fbd_skeez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.