General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-16 9:58 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum
ASSUMING I can get some Flo 60's, I'm also thinking about a pair of full carbon Reynolds. They are not as deep, but they're almost a full pound lighter. With a dish for racing, I'm thinking the Reynolds are best deal as they might be better for climbing on the roadie.

Would love your thoughts.

Reynolds Assault Ltd

Rim Height: 46mm
Rim Width: 20.8mm
Spoke Count: Front: 20; Rear: 24
Weight: 1570g

2014-09-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum
Aero trumps weight every time. That extra pound isn't the difference between you and being faster up a hill.
Aluminum brake tracks are a lot sturdier than carbon.

Both Reynolds and Flo make excellent wheels and have excellent customer service. Flos are a bit harder to come by with their limited runs. I personally feel the faring on the Flo is a bit flimsy, compared to Reynolds, but ymmv.

Then engine is the most important part of the bike. Spend the off season training with power instead.
2014-09-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

DC
Originally posted by fisherman76

I personally feel the faring on the Flo is a bit flimsy, compared to Reynolds, but ymmv.

Then engine is the most important part of the bike. Spend the off season training with power instead.

This is the first negative-ish comment I have heard about FLOs (next to the supposed weight "penalty"). Interesting. Good to hear the opposing opinion.

Thanks.
2014-09-16 10:51 AM

User image

I would go with the FLO wheels. Those Reynolds wheels are on a deep discount now for a reason. And FLO also sells their pre sales out in minutes for a reason as well. If weight is a real factor for you, then get a used set of 202 or 303 tubulars. My guess though is that weight isn't a factor for your races. If it were, you wouldn't be in a triathlon forum.
2014-09-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

DC
Originally posted by Jason N

I would go with the FLO wheels. Those Reynolds wheels are on a deep discount now for a reason. And FLO also sells their pre sales out in minutes for a reason as well. If weight is a real factor for you, then get a used set of 202 or 303 tubulars. My guess though is that weight isn't a factor for your races. If it were, you wouldn't be in a triathlon forum.

Thanks. Flos are my preference. I'm just outright nervous about being unable to get a pair.
2014-09-16 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Have you looked into Hed wheels? The HED Jet 7 should be on your radar as well.

2014-09-16 12:42 PM

For order 15 I had everything only cart (60/90 and 30/30) ready to go but weenied out and didn't pull the trigger. Went back a couple of hours later and all were still available. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be ready to go at beginning of next order and you should be good to go.

From what I've read the disc is hard to get.
2014-09-16 12:49 PM

Unless you're doing bike races, I wouldn't buy the Reynolds. As far as I have heard, the Flo's still aren't on the approved list.

2014-09-16 12:50 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by fisherman76

Have you looked into Hed wheels? The HED Jet 7 should be on your radar as well.

Thanks. Nice wheels but way out of my price range. (I'm told my kid should be in pre-school but then I wonder how bad it would be if he missed a semester or two ).
2014-09-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: abbattoir

User image

DC
Originally posted by abbattoir

For order 15 I had everything only cart (60/90 and 30/30) ready to go but weenied out and didn't pull the trigger. Went back a couple of hours later and all were still available. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be ready to go at beginning of next order and you should be good to go.

From what I've read the disc is hard to get.

This is VERY reassuring.
2014-09-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204 Unless you're doing bike races, I wouldn't buy the Reynolds. As far as I have heard, the Flo's still aren't on the approved list.

You can use FLOs in races that aren't governed by UCI rules.  Allowed for pretty much all amateur bike racing, but I believe some forms of draft legal triathlon racing adopts those UCI rules.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-16 1:44 PM

2014-09-16 2:08 PM

User image

DC

Originally posted by ziggie204 Unless you're doing bike races, I wouldn't buy the Reynolds. As far as I have heard, the Flo's still aren't on the approved list.

You can use FLOs in races that aren't governed by UCI rules.  Allowed for pretty much all amateur bike racing, but I believe some forms of draft legal triathlon racing adopts those UCI rules.

Not that it matters, but why are flo disallowed by UCI?
2014-09-16 2:12 PM

User image

Pro

Can't be used in the Jr. Elite series for sure....and those same rules apply to all ITU draft legal races.  Both use UCI rules. (when they want to )

2014-09-16 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Porfirio
Originally posted by abbattoir For order 15 I had everything only cart (60/90 and 30/30) ready to go but weenied out and didn't pull the trigger. Went back a couple of hours later and all were still available. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be ready to go at beginning of next order and you should be good to go. From what I've read the disc is hard to get.
This is VERY reassuring.

They may have still been showing in the cart but putting them in the cart does nothing to reserve them. They are not yours until you hit the order button and receive confirmation. No way those wheels were still available a few hours later. They haven't had anything available after 30 minutes or so on any order they have had. 

That said their computer system works well. If you are on at the right time and have everything ready to go it is not that hard to get an order in. I had stuff in the cart and kept watching stock go down for the first 15 minutes or so until everything was gone in June. I got a screaming deal on some Zipp 404's from my LBS so I did not order the Flo's but if I had not got the great price on the 404's I would be riding a set of Flo 60's right now.

May do some Flo 30's at some point for climbing and descending. 

2014-09-16 2:28 PM

User image

It seems that the UCI keeps a list of wheels that are approved for racing.  It's not to say that FLO wheels were reviewed by the UCI and deemed to be dangerous or illegal, it's probably more likely the case that they haven't had the time or need to review them as nobody in the pro ranks has showed interest in using them.  I believe when you adopt UCI rules, you probably adopt all of them...not just the ones which you think apply...but I could be wrong.

2014-09-16 2:37 PM

User image

Pro

It seems that the UCI keeps a list of wheels that are approved for racing.  It's not to say that FLO wheels were reviewed by the UCI and deemed to be dangerous or illegal, it's probably more likely the case that they haven't had the time or need to review them as nobody in the pro ranks has showed interest in using them.  I believe when you adopt UCI rules, you probably adopt all of them...not just the ones which you think apply...but I could be wrong.

That's how it was explained to us.......BUT, in practice it's slow in coming along.  I saw a kid get turned away at a race with Flo wheels, but I saw one allowed to race at another race.  As you stated, they are NOT on the approved list, so you take your chances at an ITU race.  At worlds they were turning away people with bike frames like the zipp 2001/3001....so maybe the UCI rules are not just for draft legal.....like you, I'm not sure because the rules don't seem to be universally applied yet.....with time I suspect all UCI rules will apply to ITU triathlon.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-16 2:38 PM

2014-09-16 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by fisherman76 Aero trumps weight every time. That extra pound isn't the difference between you and being faster up a hill. Aluminum brake tracks are a lot sturdier than carbon.  

The weight savings is basically meaningless for our purposes.

There is some data out there that full carbon wheels "can" be more aerodynamic as the carbon can be molded more aerodynamically than an aluminum brake track.  Both Zipp and Bontrager have made those claims backed up with their CFD and aero testing.

The big pain in the arse with carbon clinchers as race day wheels is having to swap out brake pads each time the wheels are used.

2014-09-17 5:25 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
To be clear, we agree. Those things were meant as independent points.
2014-09-17 6:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The biggest reason why I prefer aluminum brake track on my race wheels is out of laziness… With carbon brake track, you need dedicated brake pads. It doesn't take much to swap out the pads, but it's yet another thing to remember. The brake pads will pick up microscopic pieces of aluminum chars from the training wheels, which works as a very strong abrasive on CF brake surface, hence the necessity to swap pads. CF requires CF specific pads as well (the heat is higher so you need a different compound) although there are some pads that claim they work on both.
2014-09-17 9:18 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Miami
I got a set of FLOs 60/90 and couldn't be happier. They are very durable and pretty good wheels. I had the opportunity to try a set of Reynolds as well, but I was able to buy the FLOs instead and I like them over the Reynolds. Not having to change break pads is a big plus.

If you are online when they go for sale, you should have enough time to buy what you want, don't worry!
2014-09-17 10:00 AM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by davidfedez I got a set of FLOs 60/90 and couldn't be happier. They are very durable and pretty good wheels. I had the opportunity to try a set of Reynolds as well, but I was able to buy the FLOs instead and I like them over the Reynolds. Not having to change break pads is a big plus. If you are online when they go for sale, you should have enough time to buy what you want, don't worry!

To reinforce the OP's decision, I also have been racing on a set of FLO 60/90s for 2 years now and love them. 

I also bought a wheelbuilder cover for the rear which has become a permanent fixture for all races. I was a little nervous for a few races with heavier wind gusts, but I didn't notice a difference.

Pair them with some latex tubes and Conti GP4000S and they are a fast set of wheels.

Edited by Scott71 2014-09-17 10:02 AM

2014-09-17 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Jason N I would go with the FLO wheels. Those Reynolds wheels are on a deep discount now for a reason. And FLO also sells their pre sales out in minutes for a reason as well. If weight is a real factor for you, then get a used set of 202 or 303 tubulars. My guess though is that weight isn't a factor for your races. If it were, you wouldn't be in a triathlon forum.
Thanks. Flos are my preference. I'm just outright nervous about being unable to get a pair.
There have been 3 pairs on eBay in the past week.  A 60/60 sold for best offer, was listed for $799.  A 60/60 set just sold auction for $699 with shipping.  There's a 60/90 still on for $799 or best offer +shipping.  The other site seems to have some in classifieds every once in a while too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aluminum vs steel vs carbon

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1349 Posts: 11

2011-10-28 9:12 AM JohnnyKay

HED 3 Carbon vs Aluminum

Started by papson14
Views: 3659 Posts: 18

2007-11-23 3:55 PM papson14

Carbon vs Aluminum

Started by joemir
Views: 3850 Posts: 19

2007-09-19 8:36 AM D.Z.

Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths

Started by TexOma
Views: 1302 Posts: 5

2007-03-29 7:27 PM JohnnyKay

carbon vs. aluminum frame

Started by jdbadger
Views: 863 Posts: 1

2007-03-02 9:10 PM jdbadger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 25, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
These shoes would be good for athletes looking to upgrade from a shoe with a nylon/plastic composite sole to a good carbon composite sole.

date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."
date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?

date : September 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Blue FS Carbon mountain bike. A lightweight bike perfect for racing XTERRA triathlons.
date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”