Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: toilet break?

I don't feel particularly threatened by this, but apparently urine mixed with chlorine produces chemical byproducts like "cyanogen chloride. This is a gas that could be harmful to the central nervous system, heart, and lungs when inhaled. " among other gasses. I have a feeling there would have to be a hell of a lot of peeing going on in the pool to make it a real hazard.

2014-09-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro

Pee kills.

2014-09-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

You're right, I'm going to start swimming with a gas mask on

2014-09-16 3:05 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
There are two types of swimers in this world.

Swimmers who pee in the pool, and swimmers who lie about peeing in the pool.
2014-09-16 3:18 PM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by cstoulil

There are two types of swimers in this world.

Swimmers who pee in the pool, and swimmers who lie about peeing in the pool.

2014-09-16 3:23 PM

My prostrate isn't the size it was when I was 18.
I'm completing, not competing...so I go for comfort every time.

I pee whenever I have to. This weekend, it was in T1 and T2. I've used cornfields in races and training rides, when I'm out in the hinterlands. I never get far enough away when I'm running.

Usually in open water, I pee right when I get in. Halfway through, and one right before I get out.
This weekend was wetsuit legal, not going there. Especially in a loaner! I had already scoped out some porta potties right next to transition. Thank you race director!!

Training, in a pool...I'd get out and pee. It'd be a good excuse to take a break for me.

2014-09-16 3:49 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I rarely have that issue, but when I do, I get out.  400 fly, now that would be funny.  It might take me a loooong time to knock that out!  I'd probably look like an drunken octopus going down the lane.

I don't get thirsty during my swim workouts but I do get cramps from time to time.  Generally, the cramps show up if a) I ran or biked before the swim or b) we do a lot of kicking early in the workout.

2014-09-16 4:00 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoelO

I rarely have that issue, but when I do, I get out.  400 fly, now that would be funny.  It might take me a loooong time to knock that out!  I'd probably look like an drunken octopus going down the lane.

I don't get thirsty during my swim workouts but I do get cramps from time to time.  Generally, the cramps show up if a) I ran or biked before the swim or b) we do a lot of kicking early in the workout.

Trust me when I tell you that not a single kid is getting out of that pool to pee. 

2014-09-16 4:31 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

This thread is kind of going in a different direction other than peeing in the pool but I'll throw in my $0.02 on the topic of hydration.  I'm always thirsty after swimming due to sweating a lot so I make sure to rehydrate afterwards.  If I don't, I end up with a wicked headache.  I used to bring H2O to the pool but found I never drank it.

As for peeing in the pool, I always make sure I go in with an empty bladder so I've been lucky not to have that issue.

I'm exactly the opposite.  I hydrate well before I get in the pool knowing that I can just stand there and pee at the end of each interval if I have to while I'm catching my breath.  Running and biking, now that's a different story. 

2014-09-17 6:32 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hydrate while swimming= Yes. Hydration is pretty much a full-time job here. Particularly on Saturday, which is usually my longer swim day, I'm often swimming AFTER 90-120 minutes of running, some of it hard, in heat that's rarely under 80 and humidity almost always above 70%. Despite my best efforts to drink enough before/during/after the run, I may be starting a bit low on fluid. So I keep up the drinking.

Pee in the pool= No. Usually I am either too dehydrated from an earlier workout, I take care of that stuff before I get in, or, in an emergency (usually only if water is very cold) I get out. No coach here to make me do 400 fly ( our youth coach made us do 200 fly, though) and my summer master's coach just exepcts you to work back into the set when you return. The only time I could envision peeing in a pool is if it was a tri with a pool swim, or I was racing a long event in a meet (I don't do them, but if I did) and couldn't "hold it". Teachers are really good at the latter though--it's sort of a job requirement! Anyone who's seen me race knows I stop for nothing short of mortal danger to myself or maybe another competitor......I certainly would not stop in any leg of a race to pee.

OWS would be different. Of course would try to take care of it beforehand, but the's something about cold water and nerves. I'd try to swim off a little ways from others if it was during warmup. Then there was my last race, where a woman about one minute from the start gleefully announced to all her tri-sistas that she was peeing. "So am I," a bunch of women, some of them well into their sixties, cackled. No need to move off to do one's thing, I guess.
2014-09-17 7:21 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Trust me when I tell you that not a single kid is getting out of that pool to pee. 

Yeah, back in the day, it was 400 fly if you got out of the pool, it was 10 x 200 fly if you screwed around and it was entire workout fly tomorrow if you REALLY f*** up.  Ahhh, those were the days.  Needless to say, there were very few people making the trip to the bathroom and there wasn't too much screwing around during workout.

2014-09-17 7:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, back in the day, it was 400 fly if you got out of the pool, it was 10 x 200 fly if you screwed around and it was entire workout fly tomorrow if you REALLY f*** up.  Ahhh, those were the days.  Needless to say, there were very few people making the trip to the bathroom and there wasn't too much screwing around during workout.

Times have not changed....there is still no screwing around.  It's 6000-8000 yards 7-9 times per week.....a non-stop 2 hours per workout.  Right now, preparing for SCY season, they are doing test sets once or twice per week.....tonight it was 8 X 200 IM on 3:00, all out.  Most kids were still hitting the wall in 2:05 - 2:15 in the end....and they all looked like they wanted to puke when it was over. LOL     My kid had come from XC practice.......I actually felt sorry for him.  "Off season" is hell.

There was lots of drinking.....and every time a kid moved away from the wall and hung on the rope I thought of this thread and smiled.....pee break.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-17 7:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toilet break? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Started by fisherman76
Views: 1418 Posts: 8

2012-03-21 12:24 AM Left Brain

Toilet break in a HIM

Started by Jimbob
Views: 2213 Posts: 13

2010-06-14 8:22 AM xeon

Bring Toilet Paper To Your Race

Started by davidson3
Views: 1946 Posts: 22

2009-09-01 10:40 PM davidson3

Swimming workouts...breaks or no breaks?

Started by EABonney
Views: 1355 Posts: 10

2007-06-26 10:09 PM mman

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1338 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.