United States
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m
Overall Rank = 48/56
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took hot shower, ate and got dressed. Decided to do biggest part of my warm up at home cuz it was so cold-thought it would make setting up transistion area easier if I wasn't using all the clothes.
Event warmup:

It was 31degrees at original race start time. They pushed it back 45 minutes and we got up to 34 degrees. Soooooo cooolllllddd! Literally sitting in the jeep with the heater on.
Water temp was mid-60s so it was warmer in the lake than on the beach, but my hands and feet were already pretty cold.
Swim
  • 44m 5s
  • 1900 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started getting cramps in my calves almost immediatly, then my hands got cold and became
claws'. Had to roll onto back at one point to get settled-after that I vowed NOT to stop again. And I didn't
What would you do differently?:

Who knows;. There are still times, after all these years and races, that i just get so stricken with anxiety that i start loooking for the kayaks and roll onto my back. I've swam TONS in open water and feel confident that I'm in good swim shape,but , still I get these moments.
Transition 1
  • 07m 29s
Comments:

so cold. Had to get out and dry off, put on a tri top, long sleeve shirt, then a zipped jacket, then socks, then bags on feet, then skupp cap, gloves, and a wind vest....and it was STILL cold as crap.

Nothing-I was barely comfortable during the whole ride. I only took off the wind vest during the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 49s
  • 51 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was tough. Fought the cold for 20 miles, then turned into a brutal cross/guarter headwind. Flatted on rear after I smacked an expansion joint crossing a bridge. Flat change went smooth, but I was nervous about hitting any more potholes-and there were ALOT of potholes.

My nutrition plan went wrong right off the bat-I was never 'thirsty' and the Hammer Perpetum was starting to slosh around pretty bad. I slowly started the Bonk death-cycle that would last throughout the rest of day.
Transition 2
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Now I had to take off ALL the clothes I put on in T1. And make sure I had some nutrition products with me.

T2 went as well as could be expected. I didn't feel too bad at this point, other than a bit tired.
Run
  • 2h 25m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Immediatly after I got off bike my IT band began hurting BAD. I've NEVER had IT issues before, so i was a bit baffled. Legs were flat, but I thought they would come around after a few minutes-im not sure they really did. They were fried and both colfes were angry with me. I had some strong mixed Perpetuem in a sgueeze bottle, but i couldn't get enough of it in me without making my stomach slosh around.

I have to get the nutrition thing figured out. More longer runs and more transition runs off bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I was out of my head. GF got me sat down, and fed. EMT nearby thought I could use an IV, but I just wanted to get home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, cold, lack of training for the longer distances.

In a nutshell-I DID NOT RESPECT THE DISTANCE!!

Event comments:

It seemed like i went an awful long time between seeing anyone on the bike course. Also on the run course, I didn't see any one 'sweeping' the road looking for problems.

Finishing Medal had the name of another local Triathlon, but NOT the name of the race we had finished. Also, TShirts said it was a Half MARATHON. Sheeze!

Last updated: 2014-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:05 | 1900 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/56
Performance: Below average
Suit: Profile Design Wahoo Full
Course: 2 laps around a narrow diamond
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:29
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:49 | 51 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: One lap around Bear lake
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:25:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Course: out and back on good roads. Rolling Uphill from mile 3.5 to 6.2
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-09-16 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Bear Lake Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear Lake Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bear Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by leftrunner
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2012-06-29 10:22 AM leftrunner

Bear Lake Triathlon - Olympic

Started by kdogtoo
Views: 763 Posts: 1

2011-06-28 3:31 PM kdogtoo

Bear Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1207 Posts: 1

2011-06-28 8:31 AM monkeyboy64

Bear Lake Triathlon

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2010-06-29 5:51 AM monkeyboy64

Grand Haven Bone & Joint Bear Lake Triathlon, aka North Muskegon Block 58 Triathlon

Started by leftrunner
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2010-06-29 2:16 AM leftrunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.