General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Losing and Tri'g Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-17 8:02 AM

Subject: Losing and Tri'g
Hello!

My name is Anne and I hail from Fauquier County (about 40 miles west of DC). I am currently very overweight, do not have a number as I avoid scales. I have lost some inches in the past 2 months (down in size from 18 to 14/16).

I started this journey in July when my daughter (9 yrs old) was signed up for a kiddy triathlon. I had done a super sprint a couple years ago and finished and it was "ok" but that was it...I didnt keep training. So there we were at packet pickup...and the energy was palatable. If you have ever been at a race you know what I mean. I decided right then to sign up for another triathlon and I did...for a week later.

I had not trained. I am obese. I was crazy. But I went to the pool...swam the distance of the tri (400 yards), did not drown and signed up. I did complete the race (second to last)...but oh boy...I was bitten by the bug. I signed up for another a month later. Trained all month. Cut time off of swim and run. And now here we are.....

I am looking to the next year to become the athlete I once was.
I want to lose weight, sure looking good is great, but really I want it off so I am faster.

I have engaged a running coach that will start next month.
I have an initial appt with a triathlon training company (not a team...these are more like lab and coaching).
I am looking for a sports nutritionist as I believe the nutition needs of someone training hard and wanting to lose weight may be different than someone just trying to lose.

I am looking forward to meeting other fledgling triathletes.

I have a schedule of events set for next year culminating in the Half Ironman next fall.

Cheers!
Anne

2014-09-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: acdkayak

Subject: RE: Losing and Tri'g
Welcome, Anne.

We have some things in common. Although, I was never an athlete....ever. I started doing triathlons 2 years ago because I can (for the first time in my life) and they're fun. I was obese.
I guess, in today's way of things, I'm Jhaack39 and I'm obese. Recovering, if you will. I'm down the 100+ lbs. I wanted to lose, but you know...until I live the rest of my life this way, I still have to count calories and exercise and will always consider myself "obese" even if the scale doesn't say so.

I think the nutritionist thing is a good plan. I'm sure you've seen and heard all the crudton of 'Diets' (capital "D") and "cut this from your diets" and "eat this exclusively" type stuff out there. For me, I couldn't completely cut anything I wanted from my diet (lower case "d") and I couldn't isolate myself to anyone one thing or family of things. I like food too much. I think you can't go wrong with a nutritionist. Be it for sport or life. I think any nutritionist is going to say the same thing. Balance. Find what works for you. Find what you like and find a way to make it work.

I, too, am planning a 70.3 for next year. Just did my first Olympic length last weekend. Each time I do a race, I seem to have a different goal in mind. Sometimes it's simply surviving my first race with clipped in pedals. Sometimes the plans change from "surviving" to "kicking butt and never slowing up" when they shorten the course. Sometimes it's beating what I did last year in the same race. Sometimes it's making the leap to a full Olympic.

Achievable goals were easy for me in the weight loss. I didn't start the tri's until I was through about 85% of my weight loss. That 100 lbs. seemed daunting at first. Until I realized that I could lose 2-4 lbs. a week simply by executing a gameplan. I think that's sort of the appeal of triathlons. The more of a gameplan you seem to have in training or in the race, the more you seem to achieve. Goals. Achieving them feels REAL GOOD, no?
2014-09-17 7:41 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

jhaack39...we do seem to have similar outlooks and approaches on these things. I do not call my eating a diet. I talk about my food framework. I have been limited certain things, but have not cut out anything. I also set all kinds of goals...I am trying to have something each month. My next event is a 5k on Oct 4th - goal is to run the whole thing...even if it is a sllllooooowww run. Next is Nov 8. 10k..goal is to run the whole thing. After that I want to start working on speed. I also have a ride this weekend for 30 miles and one in October for 60 miles. The day after the 60 miler i will be doing a short duathlon. Swim wise I have joined a masters group. I can only get there once a week right now, but my goal with swimming is to drop 4 min off my 400 by the first tri of our season the end of March.

You are right goals are the key for me. I do not weigh myself but look at sizes. My current mantra there is "12 by 12" meaning size 12 by month 12 (December). goals.

I saw on your profile you hail from Missouri. I have family in Versailles area and Sedalia area. I have looked at riding the Katy trail as a multiple day ride combined with family visit.

How did you determine how many calories to eat? I get the balance thing. I know WHAT to eat....just not how much with all the training.

Cheers!
2014-09-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5051179

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Hi, I'm new here too and with this work out plan on this awesome site and tracking nutrition I loose weight really fast even though I eat 1650 kcal a day. I've never done a race before, but I would like too, but don't have a good bike. I wish you all the luck in the world in becoming a stronger version of yourself.
2014-09-21 9:55 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
That's fabulous, Anne!! I love that your daughter is also doing Triathlons...you can share that and do some training together Good luck on your journey. Find some people in your area to train with if you can to make it fun and help keep you accountable!! Cheers, Mimi
2014-09-21 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Welcome to the World and Addiction of Triathlons and congrats on your races so far!

Just a word of wisdom about the nutrition needs. Many nutritionist will tell you, that you need XX amount of calories above your normal intake because you train for a triathlon but thats not the case!
I made the mistake many many years thinking that I need to eat more when I train a lot. Well I was totally wrong and it was not until I decreased me calorie intake to about 1500 (with about 10 hrs of training a week) did I start loosing weight! With 2000 calories I maintain or sometimes even gain weight!
Figure out what works for YOU as everyone is different!

An Half-Ironman is surely an ambitious goal for your first full season. Good luck with the training and don't overdo it as that might take all the fun out of it!

2014-09-24 1:22 PM

Originally posted by acdkayak
I saw on your profile you hail from Missouri. I have family in Versailles area and Sedalia area. I have looked at riding the Katy trail as a multiple day ride combined with family visit.

How did you determine how many calories to eat? I get the balance thing. I know WHAT to eat....just not how much with all the training.

Cheers!

The Katy is pretty cool. Especially when you can hit wineries along the trail. Of course, the trek back is usually a little longer due to the weaving.
Just a word of caution, it's not terribly road bike tire friendly. It's essentially all packed gravel. Some spots get pretty soft. At least the bits I've ridden.

As for calories, I don't count so much anymore. I've got a pretty good handle on my new 'framework'. Great term, by the way! When I was aggressively losing, I just went by what Sparkpeople.com recommended and it fit with what my doctor told me and what internet research told me. I used the counting as a game (stay within range of the bad stuff like calories cholesterol and increase the good stuff like folates and potassium.

Being that my longest race has been an Olympic length, I really haven't changed the nutrition that I followed while losing weight. I work out about the same amount, just different forms of exercise when I'm "training". I have been exploring 'nutrition' on longer training days or races that extend towards the 2 hour mark. But that's pretty micro compared to the other stuff I've done and mostly just experimenting while looking at increasing time and distance next year.

I don't expect to actually change a whole lot of what I eat. I think with the extra effort I put in this summer to get up to a little longer race than I've done previously that it's worked out well with my understanding of nutrition. Sure, I'm not as detailed on what I eat and probably am consuming more calories than I did while actively losing weight. Just by the fact that I'm not dedicatedly tracking them. As long as the scale and fit of the clothes are where I want them and my doctor doesn't have me back on the BP and cholesterol medication I was on, I figure I'm doing the right thing. If that changed, I'd probably get back to calorie counting a little. But I'd probably up my limit by a couple hundred if I were in the throws of it like I was this summer.
2014-10-06 12:25 AM
in reply to: #5051619

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words and advice. Tuesday I start with a coach. Today I am struggling with mixed emotions. Saturday I did a 5k without walking. That was my goal...so success. But that feeling of success is tempered with frustration of my really slow pace....And I mean slooowwww. I know I can turtle through just about anything but I am getting tired of being a turtle.

I will restart food logging again and keep it to 1500 to 1600 as that is what I have calculated as my potential sweet spot.

While my coach helps me figure out speed I will try very hard not to compare myself to every other triathlete out there and will remind myself that I have never been last in either of the sprints I did.

Cheers!
Anne
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Losing and Tri'g Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

lost my mind?

Started by ladypenny
Views: 913 Posts: 5

2010-01-01 5:20 PM QueenZipp

New and ready to lose weight and train

Started by maeve78
Views: 601 Posts: 3

2009-07-06 12:43 AM Chaderbox

completely lost, but determined

Started by Kulprit
Views: 898 Posts: 3

2009-06-18 11:39 AM Kulprit

Californian lost in India - or at least here for a few more months

Started by heathervz
Views: 1147 Posts: 10

2008-02-17 9:20 AM heathervz

tri virgin - seeking to lose that status

Started by 3spd
Views: 1019 Posts: 4

2005-04-15 2:31 PM athena
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.
date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
Is it ever advisable to try to lose muscle mass? I've been struggling with a cycle of training to lose weight or rehabilitate some minor injury and only gaining muscle, which adds to my weight.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : April 12, 2007
author : acbadger
We’re going to discuss, really, how simple it is to lose weight if you have the right weight loss information. I’m going to give you a few weapons to put into your weight loss arsenal in this segment.

date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.