World Triathlon Corporation
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 51m 27s
Overall Rank = 948/2235
Age Group = 40-55
Age Group Rank = 165/247
Pre-race routine:

This race started an hour later than usual and we stayed right in the village so this was one of the easiest wake up and get ready for the race ever. Got up around 5:40. Oatmeal. Coffee. Clif bar.

Walked to T1 and pumped up the tires, checked my bags, put the computer and nutrition on the bike and checked that the wheels were spinning free.

Then headed back up to the hotel where I camped out until about 7:35.

Walked down to the swim start (3/4 of a mile?) and got there in time for the fighter jet flyover and the pro start.
Event warmup:

In to the wetsuit and about 300 yards of swimming to get everything moving.
Swim
  • 35m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the roughest swim I have ever participated in. I got kicked above my left eye so hard that I had a bruise for a week. I briefly wondered if I had a cut.... Just a tremendous amount of contact on all sides for the first 400-600 yards and rounding every buoy. It wasn't until the return leg that I felt like I had any open water to swim in.

I did feel like my drafting was better than in the past but that was partially because there were so many of us swimming at the same pace that it would have been almost impossible not to draft.

I felt very good during this whole swim. I swam hard and expected a good time. 35:00 is my best HIM swim this year but it is nowhere near where I want to be. My pool performance is still not translating well to OWS performance. I am comfortable and feel good but I am not fast. At about the half way point of the swim the sharks from the wave behind me caught me. I can see them swimming and just knifing through the water and making it look so easy but I cannot figure out how to do it myself. Frustrating!
Transition 1
  • 05m 44s
Comments:

Long T1. At least 1/4 mile from swim out to the bikes. I passed a lot of people running here but for some reason it is hard to motivate myself to totally sprint through transition. Need to work on this.
What would you do differently?:

Still considering going without socks. It would make a faster T1 but at what expense in T2?

Sprint faster from swim to bike...
Bike
  • 2h 36m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year when I raced this course I felt like I did not have a good bike. This year I felt like this was a much better performance. I pushed hard but in retrospect I probably could have gone even harder.

Got up to pace very quickly and got near my goal watts and just tried to keep at it.

At the last several races I have been passed by almost no one. At the smaller regional races (Muncie, Steelhead) I am slowly becoming a factor. At this race I was a very little fish in a very big pond. I got absolutely consumed by all of the fast people out there on the bike course. I really tried to stay true to my watt goal both climbing and descending. I got passed by a lot of people on the ascents but passed a lot of them back on the down hills and flats.

A comment about drafting..... There were some huge packs of people drafting/working together. I got passed by three of them. It is amazing how much faster you can go on minimal watts while in a pack. When one of these packs would come by I would get sucked in to the tail of the pack and if I wanted to, I could cruise along at 22-25 MPH on minimal output. I had to consciously sit up and soft pedal to let the pack get ahead of me and get out ot the slip stream. If 'you' just keep pedaling at your power goal you will be joining the back of the pack because of how much faster you go on the same or less power. I don't race that way. One, because it is wrong. Two, because I don't want to get a drafting penalty. Except on this day, they basically decided not to give out drafting penalties which really irritates me. I know that I could have (and many people did!) ridden 10-15 minutes faster if I had joined one of these packs. I know that a lot of people got a "free" ride for big chunks of the race. Frustrating but true. Anyways, enough of that. I wasn't going to be a factor at the front of a race of this caliber anyway so I raced my race.

I felt very good for the majority of this ride and had some energy left to finish the last segment strong. Glad to be off the bike but no longer is a 56 miles the agony that it once was :)

800 Calories of U-Can/Infinit mixture in two 20 ounce water bottles + another bottle of water from an aid station was my nitrition/hydration for this segment.

Draft, like about 150-200 people I saw in big packs with no sequelae........
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Went well. Thought about stopping in the bathroom but decided that was crazy talk even though I was way back in the pack.
Run
  • 1h 32m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't go quite hard enough. I felt pretty good during this whole segment of the race (except for the brutal uphill through the village each time). In retrospect, you aren't supposed to feel like this. I should have been pushing to get a little closer to the ragged edge instead of staying comfortable. This was a very respectable run on this course but I think with a little more 'push' on my part I could have been faster.

Water and Cola at every aid station that offered it. Occasionally some ice in the tri top but this wasn't too warm which was nice.

Push, push, push.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, Poutine, find my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental fortitude.

Interestingly, I raced this whole thing with an inguinal hernia that has been getting progressively larger. Approximately 49 hours after finishing the race I went under the knife and had it surgically repaired. I don't think that it affected my race too dramatically although it gave me an excuse if I wanted to pull back a little bit. I have also been dealing with plantar fasciitis and some left knee pain that has mildly affected my training for the last month or so. It is my hope that both of these things improve significantly during my forced two week lay off from training.

Event comments:

This is a spectacular venue. Great race. Well run. Beautiful course. Definitely on my list of must do races if anyone asks.

The only down side on this was how crowded the finish area was. I think it is a function of this being the WC with so many athletes finishing in close proximity to each other because I don't remember it being like this last year at the standard MT 70.3. It was difficult to get food, drinks, find family, etc. Again, it was not like this at the non championship 70.3 last year.

Thanks to my coach, Steve Johnson, of Darkhorse Triathlon for holding my feet to the fire and getting me in the kind of shape where 4:51 is a mild disappointment and not a huge victory. The guy really knows what he is doing if anyone is interested in a high-level coach experience.

Last updated: 2014-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/247
Overall: 0/2235
Performance: Average
Suit: Aquaman Cell Gold
Course: Out 900, across 200, back in 900.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:36:47 | 56 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Big giant loop with some rolling hills and the last 12K or so with some steeper climbing followed by some fast descending.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:32:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Course: Two loops with some significant uphills and downhills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-17 9:29 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Ironman 70.3 World Championship

2014-09-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5051208

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 World Championship

Awesome race Jason! I'm with you on doing my own race rather than joing the draft packs. Solid splits across the board in a super competitive field. Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 World Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 World Championship

Started by ligersandtions
Views: 1954 Posts: 10

2014-09-14 7:17 PM ligersandtions

Started by mark.evans
Views: 818 Posts: 1

2013-10-03 12:28 AM mark.evans

Started by TrishM
Views: 1351 Posts: 1

2013-09-13 11:17 AM TrishM

Started by m2tx
Views: 1436 Posts: 2

2013-09-10 5:50 PM m2tx

Ironman World Championships 70.3

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 3410 Posts: 15

2006-11-17 7:14 AM Mesteren
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.