General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vinyl TT Helmet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-17 6:44 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Vinyl TT Helmet?

I've seen plenty of aero/TT helmets that have been spray painted with different designs.  From my understanding, as long as the visor is untouched and that CPSC sticker is still in place, there aren't any USAT violations.

However, could I put a Vinyl decal wrap, kind of how they do on work trucks for advertising, on my TT helmet?  There wouldn't be any violations, correct?

I know someone who does the Vinyl for vehicles and said they'd do my helmet for cheap.  I've looked into painting it but it's just way too expensive for me.  I just want to make sure it'd be USAT legal beforehand.

Thanks.

2014-09-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Vinyl TT Helmet?
This is total speculation, but I'd think the vinyl would be MUCH less corrosive than any paint might be. So in my opinion, you'd be far better off.
I'm curious, do you know how they get the vinyl to wrap around such tight curves without wrinkling?
2014-09-18 9:11 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I cover my road bike helmet with shrink wrap as that probably makes it almost as aero as a TT helmet. People on this site say that violates the rules as your not supposed to modify a helmet. I have done it many times and never been called on it. It does not violate the "spirit" of the rule which is to maintain the integrity(safety) of your helmet, but it does violate the literal interpretation. So putting a vinyl cover, painting, or even a sticker on your helmet would as well. Would we ever get called on any of this????

Would like to here from some refs.
2014-09-18 1:09 PM

User image

Pro

Sounds cool.  Post a picture when you get it done!

my guess is that it would have to be an incredible jerk of an RD that would DNF you for that.  (if you're a pro or an elite, perhaps ignore my advice)

2014-09-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by mike761

People on this site say that violates the rules as your not supposed to modify a helmet

From: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx
5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

It is most definitely against the rules. People have already stated that most refs won't DQ you for it, but it is a stupid risk. Vinyl up the bike instead.
2014-09-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say putting a sticker or two on the helmet is a grey area.

also, usually there is a race number sticker for the helmet.

as for how far you can go beyond a sticker, it's a risk...I wouldn't do it.

2014-09-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by metafizx I'd say putting a sticker or two on the helmet is a grey area. also, usually there is a race number sticker for the helmet. as for how far you can go beyond a sticker, it's a risk...I wouldn't do it.

Most people here might be able to get away with it, but I think the OP gets into some higher profile races at times and wants to place well at them. I probably wouldn't risk it with this method either.

2014-09-18 11:07 PM

User image

Since when is decoration alteration?? I agree that wrapping a Road helmet with saran wrap is against the rules. But decoration and personalization are what make us unique. The issue at hand with helmets is Safety.
2014-09-19 7:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dfroelich

Originally posted by mike761

People on this site say that violates the rules as your not supposed to modify a helmet

From: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx
5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

It is most definitely against the rules. People have already stated that most refs won't DQ you for it, but it is a stupid risk. Vinyl up the bike instead.

I had just never thought it to be an issue until this summer when it came up on this board.

At 2013 Eagleman a ref walked down the rack race morning checking helmets, looked at mine and paced on by. Stopped 4 bikes down and dis-allowed a Giro helmet that was made for the European market.
2014-09-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by S_Franklin99

Since when is decoration alteration?? I agree that wrapping a Road helmet with saran wrap is against the rules. But decoration and personalization are what make us unique. The issue at hand with helmets is Safety.

decorations is altering as well correct?
2014-09-19 7:29 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
The helmets I've seen kicked out for "alteration" have all been changed structurally......usually by screwing homemade shields onto the front.

Many of the pro riders at Kona have custom stikers and decals on their helmets.

Has USAT said that stickers, covers, or wraps are considered "alteration" and not allowed? Cold weather races trypically see most people taping or saran-wrapping their vents, and I've never seen an official have an issue with this at either USAC or USAT sanctioned events.

2014-09-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by S_Franklin99

Take whatever risk you feel comfortable with! If you think decorating your helmet does not constitute alteration...do it. You now know the rule and could probably use the wording to convince a USAT official not to DQ you. Since the helmet is about the only protection on you, I could see how an official may be an all out stickler.

Is helmet personalization worth it to you? Do you want to risk the small chance at ruining your race day and losing all that money just to have a unique lid? To me, the slight risk is way too big to even consider.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vinyl TT Helmet? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Custom TT Helmet....

Started by Fastyellow
Views: 261 Posts: 1

2012-02-17 3:40 PM Fastyellow

Custom TT Helmet....

Started by Fastyellow
Views: 316 Posts: 1

2012-02-17 3:38 PM Fastyellow

road helmet vs tt helmet

Started by elkboy65
Views: 1327 Posts: 7

2012-01-06 7:50 AM brigby1

Aero tt helmets

Started by yarislab
Views: 589 Posts: 1

2011-04-01 9:32 AM yarislab

Aero tt helmets Pages: 1 2

Started by yarislab
Views: 3965 Posts: 43

2011-04-01 8:19 PM louiskie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.