General Discussion Triathlon Talk » achilles / calf pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 7:01 AM

, Alabama
Subject: achilles / calf pain
I have had a few twinges in my Achilles recently, nothing major but noticeable. As it is end of season for me I have decided to take a week off training to rest it. However I have noticed the pain is now moving around first my Achilles, then under my heel, then it will seem to be at the inside of my ankle towards the bottom of the calf. Anyway this morning I got out of bed and could hardly walk for a few minutes because both my calfs were so tight. I know I need to make an appointment with doc or physio but was wondering it anyone had any similar experiences, and if I should be stretching, rolling etc to help relieve it.

2014-09-18 7:31 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: achilles / calf pain

I had some bad achilles and calf injuries that I battled for most of 2012.  Ended up with a plantar plate tear.

I spent a lot of time in the ortho office trying to shake the injuries but couldn't.

Hoka One One shoes and yoga are what cured me.  My n=1.

2014-09-18 7:40 AM

User image

First, is it tightness or true pain? I tore my AT a couple years ago by ignoring tightness, letting it get to true, stabbing pain, and thinking that I just needed to HTFU, ran on it anyway. (Fine, it wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done).

If it is tightness, lots of stretching is in order. While you are sitting, rotate your ankles and point and flex your feet. Do that in the morning before you first get out of bed. Also useful for first thing in the morning (I nipped plantar fascitiis in the bud this way), is looping a towel around your foot while you hold onto it and pointing and flexing against the towel. Calf drops and raises on the stairs also help. Rest is definitely in order.

Take care of it early. It took about a year and a half for my calf to heal, and I still get twinges. I know people who have had the same or longer recovery times for AT injuries.
2014-09-18 7:45 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Yes, rest it.  But the pain you describe in not being able to bear weight first thing in the morning sounds like there may be some PF in it.  Find a sports med doc and get it checked out so it can be evaluated / treated properly.

2014-09-18 8:29 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

, Alabama
Thanks for the replies, yes I do think there may be a PF element to it but it is odd. I will just be sitting or lying resting and it will start to throb not really sore but noticeable, it can go up as far as mid calf then later it will be my heel. It is just tightness rather than true pain at the minute but I don't want it to develop so I guess off to the physio it is. I will try the stretches etc in the meantime, thanks.
2014-09-18 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Did you happen to get new running shoes, change your bike fit, or increase training volume or intensity shortly before it started?

2014-09-18 8:48 AM

Veteran
I started having that issue after Lake Placid - the hill climbing on the bike really required a lot of my calves. (at first I though it was my Achilles because that's what woke me up throbbing with pain during the night, turns out it was the tightness of the calves pulling on the foot and Achilles). I went to an ART guy 3x and a really aggressive massage therapist, it helped a lot - then I kept rolling it and now regularly roll it. Makes a huge difference and I have done a couple races since without any problems.

2014-09-18 9:30 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Dealing with some Achilles stuff myself and have been rolling. Any good videos/links on the best way to roll the lower legs? Thanks.
2014-09-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

, Alabama
Now you mention it I had been doing some hillier routes on the bike. I do think it may be the tightness in the calfs pulling on the Achilles that makes sense. Will get some physio advice on it, and start rolling, thanks.
2014-09-18 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Tore my left Achilles back in 2010 and was out of action for about nine months.  I think a major contributing factor was some ill-fitting running shoes

Besides making sure I have well-fitting running shoes, I've also moved the cleats back a bit on my bike shoes to take some of the stress off my Achilles.

I'm also careful to carefully warm up and cool down after a workout.  For running that means walking for about five minutes before & after, and starting & finishing with some easy spinning on the bike.

Good luck.

Mark

2014-09-18 1:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NMS ... I know I need to make an appointment with doc or physio ....

I think you need to make an appointment with your foam roller, and back off the intensity and volume for a while.  Maybe a good sports massage.  Not sure what a doctor is going to do.  

2014-09-18 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I've battled a sore heal for a long time, and finally started wearing a boot for PF and it worked awesome!
Took a few months of wearing is consistently but it's improved so much, I can run pain free.

A running friend swore by this and so I tried it, so glad I did. The boot is only like $20 off Amazon. Hard to get used to sleeping with it though.

I have to say Hoka's helped a lot, but did not solve the sore heal issue. Hoka's do significantly reduce foot trauma on long runs, and I
still rely on them for that.

from what I learned, if you tear the Plantar, it takes a long time to heal. Immobilization is really the only way it can knit itself back together.
While the boot is just during the sleeping phase, some damage occurs again when running on it, so the process takes longer.

2014-09-18 8:45 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Floriduh
+1 on the shoes. I changed to Asics 2140 one time from the Brooks Adrenalines I had been running in. Boom, three weeks later bad achilles pain and subsequently 2 months off from running. I still battle a twinge or two now and then.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » achilles / calf pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2.5 Hour Bike or rest my sore Achilles/calf

Started by joekennedy7
Views: 1122 Posts: 8

2010-08-02 11:00 AM QueenZipp

Lower calf / Achilles pain

Started by Pector55
Views: 953 Posts: 8

2010-06-10 8:09 AM Pector55

Heel Pain...just below my achilles!!!!

Started by LA Reed
Views: 1103 Posts: 10

2006-12-01 7:46 PM Offthegrid

Achilles pain from new clipless

Started by Rogillio
Views: 705 Posts: 4

2006-01-08 10:06 AM the bear

Pain in the Achilles

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 678 Posts: 3

2004-05-04 12:03 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started my journey this month to lose weight with a goal of 100 pounds and completing three sprint triathlons. My beginning weight was 321 and it is now down to 307.

date : July 2, 2013
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.
date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.

date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.
date : February 22, 2010
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.
date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.

date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?