General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floor pump tire pressure accuracy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 1:05 PM

User image

Subject: Floor pump tire pressure accuracy
How accurate are the gagues that come on bicycle floor pumps? I have a Serfas TCPG pump which works great pumping but maybe not. Yesterday I pumped up my tires to 110 lbs and today while getting out some stuff from a race I found my Topeak D2 digital gague. I don't regularly use this but I wanted to make sure I could still operate it properly and it said they were 140lbs. I was kind of shocked that they were that high and I don't know which one to believe. Has anyone had problems with either floor pump gagues or digital gagues being that far out of whack?

Keba

2014-09-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Floor pump tire pressure accuracy
I think you need a 3rd opinion. Bring them both to a bike store and go crazy!
2014-09-18 1:40 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by KebaNYC

How accurate are the gagues that come on bicycle floor pumps? I have a Serfas TCPG pump which works great pumping but maybe not. Yesterday I pumped up my tires to 110 lbs and today while getting out some stuff from a race I found my Topeak D2 digital gague. I don't regularly use this but I wanted to make sure I could still operate it properly and it said they were 140lbs. I was kind of shocked that they were that high and I don't know which one to believe. Has anyone had problems with either floor pump gagues or digital gagues being that far out of whack?

Keba

That's a bit concerning. I just always trust my floor pump. Here's the thing though; I've pumped up my tires to 105 psi, then disconnected it, then put it right back on (with VERY minimal air release) only to show like 80 psi. It's almost as if the gauge doesn't work until you actually start pumping, because I give it a very small pump and it pops up past 100 again.
2014-09-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by 3mar That's a bit concerning. I just always trust my floor pump. Here's the thing though; I've pumped up my tires to 105 psi, then disconnected it, then put it right back on (with VERY minimal air release) only to show like 80 psi. It's almost as if the gauge doesn't work until you actually start pumping, because I give it a very small pump and it pops up past 100 again.

You have to realize how a pump works.  When you pump up your tires to 105 psi, and disconnect the pump head, there is 105 psi in the tire/tube and the hose connecting the pump head to the gauge.  When you remove the pump head, you usually hear that quick "hissing" sound.  That is the sound of the air pressure that is in the hose of the pump releasing, not the sound of air coming out of your tube.  Thus now you have zero pressure in the hose, and your gauge reads zero to reflect that.

When you reconnect the pump head, in order for the gauge to work, the hose connecting the gauge to the tube valve needs to be pressurized again.  Remember...it has zero pressure in the hose to start.  When the pump head goes on the valve, it usually engages the tip of the valve, and thus releases some pressure from the tube into the hose.  That's why you see the gauge flick up from 0 psi to 80 psi.  The reason it doesn't say 105 psi is because you lost around 25 psi filling up the hose with air pressure that came out of the tube.  A few pumps, and now the tube and the hose is back to 105 psi, thus when you remove the pump head, you still have 105 psi in the tube.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-18 4:08 PM
2014-09-18 4:11 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3mar That's a bit concerning. I just always trust my floor pump. Here's the thing though; I've pumped up my tires to 105 psi, then disconnected it, then put it right back on (with VERY minimal air release) only to show like 80 psi. It's almost as if the gauge doesn't work until you actually start pumping, because I give it a very small pump and it pops up past 100 again.

You have to realize how a pump works.  When you pump up your tires to 105 psi, and disconnect the pump head, there is 105 psi in the tire/tube and the hose connecting the pump head to the gauge.  When you remove the pump head, you usually hear that quick "hissing" sound.  That is the sound of the air pressure that is in the hose of the pump releasing, not the sound of air coming out of your tube.  Thus now you have zero pressure in the hose, and your gauge reads zero to reflect that.

When you reconnect the pump head, in order for the gauge to work, the hose connecting the gauge to the tube valve needs to be pressurized again.  Remember...it has zero pressure in the hose to start.  When the pump head goes on the valve, it usually engages the tip of the valve, and thus releases some pressure from the tube into the hose.  That's why you see the gauge flick up from 0 psi to 80 psi.  The reason it doesn't say 105 psi is because you lost around 25 psi filling up the hose with air pressure that came out of the tube.  A few pumps, and now the tube and the hose is back to 105 psi, thus when you remove the pump head, you still have 105 psi in the tube.

That makes sense. I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't figure that one out.
2014-09-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Franklin, TN

I've wondered the same thing.  Thanks for the explanation.

2014-09-19 8:32 AM

As far as the OP, I would think the 110 is more accurate than 140. To pump up to 140 it would need to be a pretty good pump and you would need to work those last pumps.
2014-09-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

As far as the OP, I would think the 110 is more accurate than 140. To pump up to 140 it would need to be a pretty good pump and you would need to work those last pumps.

I just borrowed two more floor pumps from my neighbors to test the accuracy. My floor pump mentioned above seems to be the culprit. Using the other two pumps to pump my tire up to 110 results in the digital gauge showing 110 and 114 respectively. I have always expected the gauges on high quality pumps to be accurate but in this case it is way off.
2014-09-19 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Most high quality floor pumps when brand new are likely accurate (when used correctly) to approx +/- 5%. After use and some time and some drops/knocks, the error might increase some. There is a floor pump out there that is accurate to +/- 1%, but it ain't cheap.

But with some experience, you'll be able to easily tell the difference between 105 psi and 140 psi. If you're strong, 105 psi is quite hard to your thumb pressure, but there is still a little bit of 'give' when you press hard on the side of the tire. 140 psi, on the other hand, makes for a rock hard tire. And also a slow tire on any surface short of a velodrome ...

Greg @ dsw
2014-10-02 11:38 AM

User image

Just a follow up to the original issue: I did e-mail Serfas who said it was likely that the digital gauge was not accurate but sent out a new gauge anyway. Today I swapped the pressure gauge module with the new one and it is reading pressure accurately again.

Thumbs up for Serfas customer service but I'm still a little shocked that my pressure reading was off by 30+ lbs.

Keba
2014-10-02 12:01 PM

User image

Pro

2014-10-02 12:27 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Floor pump tire pressure accuracy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

floor pump suggestions

Started by disturbed
Views: 1484 Posts: 20

2010-12-29 10:27 AM morey000

Floor pump that fits HED 3 wheels

Started by TexOma
Views: 4757 Posts: 11

2008-06-22 11:03 AM JBrashear

My new Avenir floor pump is not working

Started by ragingferret
Views: 815 Posts: 2

2007-03-01 7:31 AM Machiavelo

Floor Pump question

Started by derekh25
Views: 1855 Posts: 14

2005-03-03 8:42 PM jmf-tt

floor pump recommendations?

Started by tbone
Views: 1190 Posts: 23

2004-09-03 7:10 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2009
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
We review three unique floor pumps: Pedro's Super Prestige, Topeak JoeBlow Ace and the Campbell Hausfeld cordless rechargeable inflator. Also discussed are Presta and Schrader valves.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.