General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 5:53 PM

User image

Subject: Off-season training plan
I am struggling to find a structured off-season training plan. I know many people are more flexible in the off-season, however, I do best with a structured week-to-week plan. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks

Helen

2014-09-18 11:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Off-season training plan
Have you tried to make your own or are you looking for a plan already filled out? I'm in the process of making my training plan for the next 50 weeks. I like that I make my own since:

1. I hold myself to something if it's on paper (Excel in this case)
2. I can change it up if I feel I need to focus more on biking for a few months or building running fitness
3. I can change my hours/days as needed around holiday and such

Were you looking to focus on something or just go into maintenance mode?

Edited by Blastman 2014-09-18 11:20 PM
2014-09-19 7:16 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

There are a number of Winter Maintenance plans on here.

Have you looked at those?

2014-09-19 7:33 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
In the off-season, I just like to keep it loose but have structure. So, I will plan to s/b/r on certain days but remain open if someone asks me to join them for a yoga class or bike ride on a run day, I feel free to do it and not be "stuck in the plan".

It will depend on what your goals for the off season are as well. What are your goals?
2014-09-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Originally posted by Mimir98

It will depend on what your goals for the off season are as well. What are your goals?

In answer to your question: I am running Boston in April and plan to do an IM in late June. To that end I think my goals are building back up run speed (as opposed to the "IM shuffle"), as well as maintaining swim and bike fitness.
2014-09-19 2:35 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Well...seems like you could stay active and meet your goals without having any major plan in place...I always like "muffin rides" in the winter / off season. Of course, I live where you can ride year round...it's a nice time to just spend time in the saddle and enjoy friends without as much focus. So a long ride on the weekend and 1-2 more sprinkled in during the week? Swimming - focus on your form over the winter. Pick one aspect of your stroke and work on that during your swims - hop in the pool 2-3 times per week - 30 minutes of form work will go a long way...I am not sure how your swimming is- if you struggle with endurance then keep one swim longer? And for running...one longish run (10-13 miles) per week with 2 shorter days 1 of tempo and 1 day of speed. Pop in the gym a few times a week to work on strength.

Those are my initial thoughts. I am a firm believer that off season should not feel structured nor should you feel guilty for missing a workout. It is important for the MENTAL break.

I don't know if that helped. Haha...more a stream of consciousness. The main thing being - try to have some fun and just stay active, rather than follow a rigid "off season plan".

Late June - you doing CDA?

2014-09-20 2:22 PM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Thank you, that is incredibly helpful! Right you are, CDA! (round 3)
2014-09-21 6:39 PM

In the "off" season I do hiking most Sundays.

I find training for a short 5km running event is good. Keeps me active and a goal to work towards (I can't get motivated if I don't have a goal to work towards). Builds a bit of speed and tempo for the upcoming season and the workload isn't too much so I get too tired or sore or burned out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Off Season- Tips or plans?

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 1831 Posts: 16

2013-12-28 3:35 PM midwesttrimom

Off Season Training Plans

Started by bergerbe
Views: 1489 Posts: 3

2012-11-20 2:01 PM runninirish

In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan

Started by chrisbowers
Views: 1320 Posts: 11

2012-01-21 12:22 PM acumenjay

What is your off season training plan?

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1425 Posts: 13

2008-08-21 10:24 AM mattb1

Off-season Training Bloggers Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 4376 Posts: 44

2005-12-27 10:35 AM BigTrain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : November 17, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
At BeginnerTriathlete.com there are so many plans that there is no need to ever do the same plans twice in a row or even two or three seasons in a row!

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.