General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dropbar or Basebar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 9:12 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Dropbar or Basebar
i currently have a roadie with clip on aero bars. 90% of the time i'm on the aero bars when i ride. the seat tube angle on my frame is at 75 degrees. is it advantageous if i change my drop bars to a base bar?

my concern is when i'm going downhill, because of my short fingers, it's difficult to reach my brake levers on my drops so i don't have full control of my bike. i'm thinking that a base bar setup would benefit me more because i would be able to reach the brake levers better.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

2014-09-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Dropbar or Basebar

sorry...nm

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-18 9:36 PM
2014-09-18 10:50 PM
in reply to: #5051863

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Are you sure the brake levers are positioned correctly on the drop bars? If you slide them up or down and rotate the bar up/down there might be a position where your fingers don't have to reach so far. This will require you to remove the bar tape.
2014-09-19 4:41 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In the drops you should have your hands positioned so that you are able to use the brakes. Instead of going with a basebar, I would instead look for a new set of levers that are designed for smaller hands (I forget what Shimano calls them but they should fix your problem).

Shane
2014-09-19 5:55 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by gsmacleod

In the drops you should have your hands positioned so that you are able to use the brakes. Instead of going with a basebar, I would instead look for a new set of levers that are designed for smaller hands (I forget what Shimano calls them but they should fix your problem).

Shane

Completely agree with Shane that the problem is with your reach. You may also want to look into short reach drop bars, they would put the levers much closer to you.
2014-09-19 8:02 AM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by oldSAP

i currently have a roadie with clip on aero bars. 90% of the time i'm on the aero bars when i ride. the seat tube angle on my frame is at 75 degrees. is it advantageous if i change my drop bars to a base bar?

my concern is when i'm going downhill, because of my short fingers, it's difficult to reach my brake levers on my drops so i don't have full control of my bike. i'm thinking that a base bar setup would benefit me more because i would be able to reach the brake levers better.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

On some levers the reach is adjustable by inserting a spacer. I know this is possible on my Shimanos. Your bike shop could probably help you with this.
This is the Shimano install directions:
http://bike.shimano.com.sg/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_6SC0A...

2014-09-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by ultramike Are you sure the brake levers are positioned correctly on the drop bars? If you slide them up or down and rotate the bar up/down there might be a position where your fingers don't have to reach so far. This will require you to remove the bar tape.

This. I have short fingers. I find it more difficult to brake at full power from the tops than from the drops.

Also, my Dura Ace 7900 levers are adjustable for smaller hands.

Edited by jeng 2014-09-19 11:31 AM
2014-09-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by MikeD1
Originally posted by oldSAP i currently have a roadie with clip on aero bars. 90% of the time i'm on the aero bars when i ride. the seat tube angle on my frame is at 75 degrees. is it advantageous if i change my drop bars to a base bar? my concern is when i'm going downhill, because of my short fingers, it's difficult to reach my brake levers on my drops so i don't have full control of my bike. i'm thinking that a base bar setup would benefit me more because i would be able to reach the brake levers better. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
On some levers the reach is adjustable by inserting a spacer. I know this is possible on my Shimanos. Your bike shop could probably help you with this. This is the Shimano install directions: http://bike.shimano.com.sg/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_6SC0A...

I should always read the thread first. D'oh. Anyway, definitely look into this if you have shimano. My older shimano, I had to add shims, but for my newer Shimano, they were just adjustable like this. http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/workshop-how-to-set-up-shimano-ultegra-dura-ace-26312/

2014-09-19 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by oldSAP
  • .. is it advantageous if i change my drop bars to a base bar? ... my concern is when i'm going downhill, because of my short fingers, it's difficult to reach my brake levers on my drops so i don't have full control of my bike. i'm thinking that a base bar setup would benefit me more because i would be able to reach the brake levers better.

• All other things being equal, switching to a flat pursuit-type basebar might save you about 10 sec per 40 km due to a small aero advantage over drop bars. But, that said, if you switch to a flat basebar, there is little doubt that you will have a more difficult time controlling your bike and braking on steep downhills and/or on technical courses. The grip sections of flat basebars end up being inclined forward when you're going down hills. Which, even for larger people with large hands, makes it quite hard to securely grip the basebar, squeeze the brake levers, and steer at the same time. So if you have difficulty with your current set up, it might be smart for you to keep your drop bars and just adjust the reach of your current brake levers. Another advantage of drop bars is that they allow you to get your body lower that you will be able to with flat basebars, and a lower center of gravity will help you corner easier and safer.

Greg @ dsw
    2014-09-22 3:50 AM
    in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

New user
    thank you for all the replies guys. i will definitely stick to my dropbars. i'll try adjusting the brake levers (mine in ultegra 6600) if it has that option. if not i'll probably either buy shimano brake shims or get a dura ace.

i very much appreciate your inputs on my problem.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dropbar or Basebar Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Aero basebar width question.

Started by noobers
    Views: 1759 Posts: 5

2011-10-22 1:39 PM noobers