Sandusky, Ohio
United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Total Time = 14h 10m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eat good deal of oatmeal with yogurt and raisins. One Clif bar before the swim.
Event warmup:

Get into the water to warm a a little.
Swim
  • 1h 34m 23s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

As swimming started I realized that all my time in the pool was for nothing. Too many waves, and they were too high. I could not keep a "good style" My legs sink deep. I could not see a buoy, but I managed to get to it somehow. The problem was that I cannot see the next one! just followed the crowd. But the waves were huge, I had to keep my head really high.
What would you do differently?:

I have seen many called it the worst swimming conditions, but I felt ok after it. I did not expect my time to be that bad, but I felt even better when learned that some (about 20-30 ppl) did not finish the swim and were pulled out of the water. Race director allowed them to finish the race, but at DNQ.
Transition 1
  • 06m 40s
Comments:

Wet suite strippers are the best!

I did not change shorts or jersey for the bike, but may be I should to have a dry fresh clothes. Also, I would put a chip over my sock, not under. It started to rub my skin on the bike at one point.
Bike
  • 6h 41m 54s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was the worst. I was doing ok up to mile 40. Everything was gong great, I run small ring for 10-15 min, and at about mile 40 my average was 19 MPH or something, But at that point I started to have a pain in my left leg. I never had such pain in that spot during training or any previous races. I dropped spinning a little bit, switched back to small ring, but nothing helped. The unusual pain grew more and more. Once it became unbearable, I stopped and get of the bike. The leg calmed down a little and I could continue on the bike. Another leg started to hurt too, I could use a little force only on 1/4 of the circle with one leg, and maybe 1/2 with another leg. I felt so bad. The pain was getting worse and worse, I was thinking to quit the bike at some point. The worst was the thought about running after it. I did not know it I will be able to finish the bike, moreover the run. The last 5 miles the road was really bumpy, I felt every bump with my legs.
The rest 70-72 miles I was riding in pain, grinding my teeth, squeezing the bars.
Ate and drink normally. A clif bar or a gel every 30 min. Salt tablet every hour. Less water consumption because it was not hot.

I would do better and more careful warm up in the beginning of the bike leg. I guess my muscles were not warm up, relaxed properly as I switched to big ring. It was not hot, and my clothes were still wet as I started.
Transition 2
  • 08m 50s
Comments:

Coming off the bike brought a little relief. My muscle pain was probably specific for bike muscles. I could walk, and therefore, I could try to run.
Run
  • 5h 38m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

After the terrible bike I was very careful how I run, and I started very slow and easy. The muscles did not hurt that bad, I was able to pay a little attention to the pain. The first half was so-so, but the second half was hard. at mile 17-18 I got pain in my legs again, but I was glad, because it was familiar running pain that I used to.
I tried to eat something, but it was not good for my stomach, I was only drinking gatorade, water on the first lap and cola mixed with water on the second lap

I would get a hand bottle for the special need bag for the second lap. I needed more energy, i.e cola, but the food tables did not relief the cola from gas. I would mix cola and water at the food station, and shake it as I run to get rid of the gas.
if I would be finishing even later, I would need a warm top for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

wrapped myself in foil and sat next to heater. probably need to walk around, because I felt really bad as I got up. I had couple of cups of chicken drink. It helped me to warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pain in my legs on the bike

Event comments:

I like the race overall. it was my first full distance and despite pain and suffering I got some valuable experience. The organizers and volunteers were helpful and friendly. Not so big crowd. especially on the second lap on the run. maybe if I could be faster I would see more spectators.
After finish I have nothing to eat, volunteers offered only the water. Another disappointment was the visor. I personally do not like visors and never wear them. T-shirt would be a better finisher item for me.
If I decide to go for full distance again, I would do REV3 again. It is very close to my home, about 2hrs to drive.

Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:34:23 | 3862 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:41:54 | 112 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:38:41 | 26.2 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-09-19 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1397 Posts: 1

2012-07-08 10:39 PM Shermbelle

Started by ryanjleone
Views: 1550 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 7:01 AM ryanjleone

Started by sdanaher
Views: 2971 Posts: 5

2011-09-20 9:26 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Started by Blased33
Views: 2047 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 6:55 PM Blased33

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 1953 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 4:29 PM yeats
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race