General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the women triathletes... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-09-21 10:28 AM

User image

Subject: For the women triathletes...
How do you overcome PMS highs/lows?

Do you even have them?

Always the week leading up to that wonderful (not) monthly visitor, I get really lazy/unmotivated/ irritable/negative/depressed.

It's like I suddenly could give a crap about anything... But then I think about how disappointed my future self will be ditching workouts and I'm internally conflicted. I still force myself out the door but and moan about it.

Do you ladies ever deal with this? How do you get over it? How do you stay motivated and excited for training?

Edited by rizztalah 2014-09-21 10:29 AM

2014-09-21 1:25 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: For the women triathletes...

I moan about it too but manage to do it unless I feel really lousy.  I'm now apparently moving from PMS to hot flashes so it seems to be less of an issue lately.

2014-09-21 1:59 PM

Veteran
I have been dealing with this since I was 15 years old, and I will be 54 soon. I still have regular periods, but my PMS has lessened. When I don't feel like working out I talk to myself and tell myself that I ALWAYS feel better after a workout. I can't remember a time when I didn't feel better after a workout. It is really hard to get started, but once you get going I guarantee you that you'll probably feel better.

I am kind of looking forward to a time when I don't have to deal with PMS. On the other hand, I don't want to go through menopause. Women get the rotten end of the deal when it comes to that kind of thing!
2014-09-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: punkster

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

One word. Depoprovera.  Shot once every three months no pesky periods, no tampon string in your crotch on 100 miles rides no cramps bleeding mood swings ruined underwear etc etc etc.  If you have strong feelings about not using birth control then you are out of luck but I LOVE not having my period because quite frankly it SUCKS

2014-09-21 5:18 PM

User image

Sometimes I have no PMS, and other times, I can barely get out of bed because of the joint pain and exhaustion. I have found a couple things that help.
1) Vitamin D. I was really having a hard time of it, then I went to a seminar at work on vitamin D metabolism (I work for a drug company). I realized that my symptoms were much worse in the winter. For the last few years, I have been taking vitamin D in the winter, and the symptoms have been greatly reduced.
2) Protein. People are finally starting to study the effects of menstrual cycles on female athletes, and they are finding that we need extra amino acids in the week leading up to our periods.
3) Salt. It seems a bit counter-intuitive if you are already bloated, but the same studies that I mentioned above have found that we need extra electrolytes, specifically sodium.

Basically, the carb/ chocolate cravings that I get at the start of my period are what my body does not need. It is craving easy energy because it is so run down. My PMS has been greatly reduced, and I have completely stopped being bedridden, since I started consuming more of the three things that I listed.
2014-09-21 6:20 PM

Say no to the shot! Yes its convenient, but if you happen to be sensitive to hormones, you might gain 30 pounds.

That is what happened to me, even when active and eating right. You lose all (or almost all) PMS symptoms, and stop bleeding at all which is nice.

There are other undesirable side effects too.

I recommend a different BC, if you are not already on one. I use lo-esterin (pill). No weird side effects, but it does not get rid of all my PMS symptoms either.

Either that or suck it up and push yourself harder. Or plan your rest weeks around your period.

2014-09-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I just suck it up and get on with it, to be honest. I've been at running and swimming since before all that started, and none of my coaches ever made allowances for it. In HS I trained mainly with guys, so it never really occurred to me to do anything different. I find that PMS doesn't generally affect my performance (in fact, I almost always have a really good workout the day before I start. I feel like I wish I could feel all the time!), just, at times, my feelings of well-being. Mainly irritability, sometimes a bit depressed, cramps (which go away a few minutes after I start a workout), and nausea that's coupled with exteme sensitivity to smells, for some reason. The latter is the biggest issue if it happens on a race day. I have come very close to puking on the start line from a combo of nerves, PMS, and the smell of something that set me off--food cooking nearby, someone's Icy Hot, boat exhaust on the swim...... Most disasterous was when a gu flavor I'd always liked became suddenly repulsive, I couldn't get it down, and I ended up taking in almost nothing in a nearly four hour race. Yuck. Sometimes mint or ginger tea can help prevent this stuff; doesn't always work and in most cases I'd forget to bring it to a race venue (I travel to most of my races). Since that race I've always carried two or three different gu flavors on the bike for longer events, just in case.

For the mental effects, what helps me is just recognizing it for what it is and getting on with it. Cramps generally take care of themselves if I get in a workout and keep moving. The nausea issue I have yet to solve, except to try to avoid known triggers like the garbage truck or fast food restaurants with a grease smell outside. I never met anyone else with exactly the same issue (except when pregnant) so maybe it's just my body. I find in general the symptoms are less severe if I don't back off on training but try to get some extra sleep and eat more protein and healthy fat. Not worth the expense and trouble of BC, in my opinion. Being a white 40+ single woman in SE Asia accomplishes the latter for free.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-09-21 7:05 PM
2014-09-21 7:22 PM

Oh my gosh, yes, I am so not the same person when I have PMS. I get depressed, anxious, paranoid and like you said, couldn't care less. And my periods come every 3 weeks so I feel bad as long as I feel good it seems. I force myself to get my training sessions in. I have been taking fish oil, magnesium and B complex. Not sure if it helps. I also try St. Johns Wort. I have seen a naturopath and I do feel that some of the supplements suggested can help.

I can empathize!
2014-09-21 8:37 PM

User image

Master
I have training buddies that I feel guilty about meeting. Training with other people helps me through that tough, blah week.
2014-09-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Bronze member

I struggle with PMS. I'm 42 years old and it is not getting any easier.

Exercise helps most of my symptoms, even if it is just temporarily during the workout, so I keep on exercising. I am not training for anything in particular so I do take it easy and just try to get up and do something. I have to be very strict with my diet to see the best overall improvements on mood and especially bloating. I did not really want to believe that not eating chocolate/sugar, no alcohol, limited salty snacks would help but it does. It is hard to stick with that when that is everything you are craving!!!!!

Other symptoms I struggle with are sleeplessness. I have started taking Melatonin or a product called Natural Calm when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

For irritability/depression I take a combo of Vitex, Vitamin D and SAM-e but I still get irritated with things that don't typically bother me the rest of the month.I have also tried St. John's Wort and Black Cohosh. I just read about Vitex and Vitamin D in an article so started with those when the others ran out.

Complete and utter exhaustion is another symptom I deal with and have not really found anything to help. I'll have to pay attention to the protein issue. I know I start to crave bagels like crazy.

Anyway,  DH says he notices a positive change from all of this. Of course he would have to be totally clueless and asking for trouble to say it's not working ha ha ha .

2014-09-22 5:44 AM
in reply to: trigal38

New user
Key West
Well, not an issue I have to deal with anymore since I am 60 and essentially spayed, which bring about other problems, but back when I was in the throws of some really terrible PMS, I actually felt that my running (did more of that when I was still at that age), helped tremendously when my symptoms. So, I guess I just dealt with it and pushed through the pain, blahs, bloating, etc. I feel for you and don't miss that stage of my life at all.

2014-09-22 7:07 AM

User image

I'm so glad I'm male. I feel so bad for you females. I'd be sooooo bummed out if I woke up one morning and was turned into a girl.
2014-09-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by trigal38

no alcohol,

Oh yeah, the alcohol. I won't drink within 3 days either direction of my period starting. That makes a huge difference.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-09-22 8:38 AM
2014-09-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

not the shot (the Navy will no longer use it) - but i've had an IUD for 5+ years now (just had it replaced) - best decision I ever made. I used depo-provera for several years until the Navy phased it out; tried multiple versions of the pill all of which makes me ill; same with the patch and the ring
2014-09-22 9:32 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by happyscientist
Originally posted by trigal38 no alcohol, Oh yeah, the alcohol. I won't drink within 3 days either direction of my period starting. That makes a huge difference.

And limited caffeine. I cut back on the amount of coffee I use to make my morning cup and don't go back for more. Tea does not seem to cause the same problems with irritability as coffee does.

2014-09-24 11:36 PM

User image

New user
I'm thankful I have a very small window I'm affected, but it's still...ugh...

Right on the onset of cramps, I feel super weak and totally exhausted and of course super in pain. This happened on the day of my first marathon. Not great. If it's not a race, I usually try to move a hard workout to another day.

Thankfully, about 24 hours later, I feel fine. The...logistics are sometimes annoying, but doesn't affect my energy.

My remedy is 3 aleve. Nothing else does it. If it happens to be during a race, I can't do that, but I'll load up on 303s (natural muscle relaxers) and it will be mostly ok. I actually did ok with aleve during a half marathon, but I took a second dose right after and then almost heaved my cookies because it took a while to get lunch. So, I make sure if I do have to coordinate a race/workout and painkillers, I stay SUPER fueled.

Kinda stressing about this right now because I have a HIM in 5 days and just WAITING for my TOM to come. Please? Now, not later?

2014-09-24 11:41 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Originally posted by austhokie

not the shot (the Navy will no longer use it) - but i've had an IUD for 5+ years now (just had it replaced) - best decision I ever made.

Me too -- Mirena IUD which has a low dose of hormones- I assume that's the one you have. The copper IUD actually causes more bleeding.
It's a better option for some than Deepo-provera because it can be removed if you react poorly to the hormones.

No periods, no PMS. Although I never had bad PMS I did have very heavy periods (which caused me to get anemic).

Mirena changed my life.
2014-09-25 5:41 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

not the shot (the Navy will no longer use it) - but i've had an IUD for 5+ years now (just had it replaced) - best decision I ever made.

Me too -- Mirena IUD which has a low dose of hormones- I assume that's the one you have. The copper IUD actually causes more bleeding.
It's a better option for some than Deepo-provera because it can be removed if you react poorly to the hormones.

No periods, no PMS. Although I never had bad PMS I did have very heavy periods (which caused me to get anemic).

Mirena changed my life.

yep that's the one I have - never had any issues with it unlike the pill - best decision I ever made (was basically my only option prior to deployment since we HAD to be on BC as a requirement)
2014-09-25 6:52 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by austhokie not the shot (the Navy will no longer use it) - but i've had an IUD for 5+ years now (just had it replaced) - best decision I ever made.
Me too -- Mirena IUD which has a low dose of hormones- I assume that's the one you have. The copper IUD actually causes more bleeding. It's a better option for some than Deepo-provera because it can be removed if you react poorly to the hormones. No periods, no PMS. Although I never had bad PMS I did have very heavy periods (which caused me to get anemic). Mirena changed my life.
yep that's the one I have - never had any issues with it unlike the pill - best decision I ever made (was basically my only option prior to deployment since we HAD to be on BC as a requirement)

Wow, I've never been on any birth control but you ladies have just about sold me on this idea! No period or PMS? Sounds like a dream.

2014-09-25 7:25 AM

User image

Elite

I struggle with PMS. I'm 42 years old and it is not getting any easier.

Exercise helps most of my symptoms, even if it is just temporarily during the workout, so I keep on exercising. I am not training for anything in particular so I do take it easy and just try to get up and do something. I have to be very strict with my diet to see the best overall improvements on mood and especially bloating. I did not really want to believe that not eating chocolate/sugar, no alcohol, limited salty snacks would help but it does. It is hard to stick with that when that is everything you are craving!!!!!

Other symptoms I struggle with are sleeplessness. I have started taking Melatonin or a product called Natural Calm when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

For irritability/depression I take a combo of Vitex, Vitamin D and SAM-e but I still get irritated with things that don't typically bother me the rest of the month.I have also tried St. John's Wort and Black Cohosh. I just read about Vitex and Vitamin D in an article so started with those when the others ran out.

Complete and utter exhaustion is another symptom I deal with and have not really found anything to help. I'll have to pay attention to the protein issue. I know I start to crave bagels like crazy.

Anyway,  DH says he notices a positive change from all of this. Of course he would have to be totally clueless and asking for trouble to say it's not working ha ha ha .

I could have written this!  about 7-10 day before I get my period all of this starts for me.  I have to keep reminding myself 'it's the hormones talking, it's the hormones talking!'  I have to really be careful with my diet as well--and like you said, hard to avoid everything your brain is screaming for!  But, I know I need to if I want to stay sane.  I've never tried the supplements you've mentioned, might give that a go.

2014-09-25 7:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by austhokie not the shot (the Navy will no longer use it) - but i've had an IUD for 5+ years now (just had it replaced) - best decision I ever made.
Me too -- Mirena IUD which has a low dose of hormones- I assume that's the one you have. The copper IUD actually causes more bleeding. It's a better option for some than Deepo-provera because it can be removed if you react poorly to the hormones. No periods, no PMS. Although I never had bad PMS I did have very heavy periods (which caused me to get anemic). Mirena changed my life.

Wow, I've never been on any birth control but you ladies have just about sold me on this idea! No period or PMS? Sounds like a dream.

I get the rare occasional break-through bleeding (they call it) - maybe every 6 mths or so, and for me, its like lite panty liner and thats it. I will admit, even when I got my period that my PMS was more on the lighter side - some cramping and craving chocolate, but that was about it

2014-09-25 9:25 AM

User image

I am not even using it for birth control reasons -- my doctor recommended it to me solely because I had very heavy bleeding. And yes, it is a dream. I do have a small amount of bleeding once in a while, but not enough to even call it a period..

It last 5 years once it's inserted (which must be done by your doctor), and if you have any problems with it you can always have it taken out. If you have never been on hormonal birth control your body will experience some changes, but it's a very low dose of a progesterone-like hormone and MOST women have no issues with it. If you go reading stuff on the internet because you'll find reports and confirmation from the small minority of people that have side effects things like mood swings and depression and weight gain-- these CAN happen but it's really a very small percentage of people who use it.
2014-09-25 3:50 PM
in reply to: Socks

, Virginia

Originally posted by Socks

One word. Depoprovera.  Shot once every three months no pesky periods, no tampon string in your crotch on 100 miles rides no cramps bleeding mood swings ruined underwear etc etc etc.  If you have strong feelings about not using birth control then you are out of luck but I LOVE not having my period because quite frankly it SUCKS

Totally agree. I've been getting the shot for 8 years now. Just make sure you get your calcium in. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE not having a monthly.

2014-09-27 4:24 PM

User image

Something else to consider is perhaps taking magnesium and/or vitamin B's, especially if you take a proton pump inhibitor (like Protonix, Nexium, Dexilant, etc) regularly. I've had to start taking the above supplements due to low levels and just like that, my PMS and sleep issues have really improved and nearly disappeared. I take SloMag. Also, I don't know how you feel about acupuncture, but I've found it to work WONDERS. Sounds weird, but, it's worth a try. Really. Hope you find something that helps!
2014-09-28 5:47 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I had Mirena for 2 years after my daughter was born.  It was very convenient and easy.  But, I had stabbing cramps non-stop for 6 months.  I finally got it taken out.  Apparently my uterus was just irritated by it even though it was in the correct position.  Definitely worth a shot, but it can be a pain (literally).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the women triathletes... Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Questions for women triathletes Pages: 1 2

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 3059 Posts: 28

2010-05-20 3:30 PM mchubri`

A great sign for women triathletes

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 995 Posts: 6

2006-07-03 9:53 PM noony

My boss's opinion of women triathletes Pages: 1 2

Started by Browe79
Views: 2387 Posts: 44

2004-09-30 7:52 PM will race for beer

Triathletes in other sports

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 951 Posts: 2

2004-04-14 4:50 PM Lara

Planning a Week with the Triathletes Training Bible

Started by awamser
Views: 1279 Posts: 2

2004-02-18 11:53 PM DharmaBum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.