Germany
10C / 50F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 48s
Overall Rank = 48/90
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

This time around we flew to Germany Thursday evening giving us Friday and Saturday before the race to get ready and prepare. We put the bikes together on Friday and then did a short bike workout followed by a 1km run. I did not feel the hip that much so I was somehow hopeful that after no running for 6 weeks ther ace would somehow work out. Saturday the plan was to bike and get our race stuff but it was pouring down so we just took the car to get our stuff.
The weather forcast for Sunday was mixed but it seems it would not be as cold as 2 years ago and maybe maybe we would be lucky and not have any rain.
Event warmup:

Bike warm-up
We decided to bike to the race start like in recent years and stopped at T2 which is in a different location that T1 and put our running stuff there. We biked up to the pool then and stored our stuff and then it was already time to get in line for bike check in and T1 setup. 15 minutes to spare before the start which was unusual late (11:25am) as this year all competitors were doing the same distance.
I found a lane that looked fine to me and then swam a 150m quick warmup which is so not enough! 9 people in the lane and we talked before the start about our times and to place ourselves. I decided to stay right behind a woman who said she planned on swimming 9minutes and I thought it would be a good idea To try to draft her!
Swim
  • 09m 13s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim start was crazy as usual and I stayed as far right as possible behind the woman. But after 50m she started breaststroking (!) and slowed down a lot and I was so pissed as I missed my chance to draft the other girls in front of her which were now about 5-10m ahead and stayed that the entire time. So I was left with no draft for the remaining 450m! Swam as hard as I could and ended up lapping the 9min woman!
Official race time includes getting out of the pool and running over the timing mat which is about at the side of the pool but T took my netto swim time as he did not start until an hour after me.
Best swim in this competition so far!
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was a fast T1 for me. Just grabbed my Garmin on my towel on the way to the bike and then on the bike only numberband, glasses and helmet and off I was.
Bike
  • 45m 48s
  • 24.2 kms
  • 31.70 km/hr
Comments:

They bike course is 3 laps on the city highway with 1km getting on it and 1km getting off.
The first km was tricky and technical as usual and I was glad to get that over with and get to the city highway so I could start powering. Race tactic was to bike as if I would stop in T2 so thats what I tried.
The PM was still not working so I had no reference whatsoever which sucked!
I just pushed and pushed and on the long downhill I was just flying.
The second lap I pushed even harder than the first.
At the turnaround of the 3rd lap it started raining a bit and then once on the long downhill it started HAILING!!! WTF?
It got really cold and I had goosebumps all over and of course the hail hurted on the cold skin! Did the last turnaround and just increased the speed even more to get out of the hail.

Official race time includes 70% of T1 and 30% of T2.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

The line to jump off came really early and I decided to keep my shoes off instead lf running barefoot on the road with frozen feet. I also put on socks to run as I don't like running barefoot in my Asics which has custom made inserts in them.
Run
  • 30m 11s
  • 5.4 kms
  • 05m 35s  min/km
Comments:

Well this was a go and see what happens run.
I have not been running at all since the week after Abu Dhabi and although I was walking painfree at that point I had no idea how this would go. The run course is 5 1,06km laps and I took the first one quite easy to see how the hip would hold up. No pain at that point so I increased the speed a bit.
During the 2nd loop the pain returned and from the third one on the old pain was back and it was tough to concentrate on something else. When I saw my Mom and our friends at the end of the 3rd loop I told them I was pretty much done! But quitting is just not an option so of course I kept going. After all it was only 2km more and you can always run 2K!
And it kept me going to see my family and friends twice during each lap and that was so motivating! The pace dropped a bit through the last 2kmbut I still held it up and somehow had an OK finish.
Post race
Warm down:

I really wanted to do this race despite the fact that. I had not been running and thinking about it afterwards it would have probably been good to skip it as I could not even walk pain free for a week afterwards! But I guess you learn from this somehow...

Last updated: 2014-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:13 | 500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 44/90
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: