General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtrained with 6 Days Until HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 8:09 AM

User image

New user
KY
Subject: Overtrained with 6 Days Until HIM
I'm doing Augusta this coming Sunday and for the past 10 days or so I have been dealing with all the classic symptoms of overtraining. I'm exhausted but can't fall asleep at night (sometimes I'll lay there with my mind racing until the alarm goes off,) my resting heart rate is up from 49-51 in June to 70-73 currently and I can't hold my paces in my workouts.

I started training with a coach in July, and the volume and intensity increased compared to what I'm used to (about 14 hours week with heavy intervals vs 9-10 hours in the past with plenty of easy mileage.) Anyway, long story short is that I have always given myself a generous 2-3 week taper with plenty of rest days going into my HIM's. This time, I haven't had that. I do have workouts on the schedule every day up until race day.

I gave myself a couple extra rest days in the past week but still feeling pretty run down. My question is, should I continue the workouts as planned or should I back off? Lay off the run and bike and just do some easy swimming? I've asked my coach but I think he's pretty busy so thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for any advice.

2014-09-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Overtrained with 6 Days Until HIM

Originally posted by erinrockrun I'm doing Augusta this coming Sunday and for the past 10 days or so I have been dealing with all the classic symptoms of overtraining. I'm exhausted but can't fall asleep at night (sometimes I'll lay there with my mind racing until the alarm goes off,) my resting heart rate is up from 49-51 in June to 70-73 currently and I can't hold my paces in my workouts. I started training with a coach in July, and the volume and intensity increased compared to what I'm used to (about 14 hours week with heavy intervals vs 9-10 hours in the past with plenty of easy mileage.) Anyway, long story short is that I have always given myself a generous 2-3 week taper with plenty of rest days going into my HIM's. This time, I haven't had that. I do have workouts on the schedule every day up until race day. I gave myself a couple extra rest days in the past week but still feeling pretty run down. My question is, should I continue the workouts as planned or should I back off? Lay off the run and bike and just do some easy swimming? I've asked my coach but I think he's pretty busy so thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for any advice.

I've never worked privately with a coach but if he's too busy to give you pretty important advice like this so close to your race, then it might be time for a different coach. If it were me, in the condition that you're in right now, I'd really really tone down any training this week. If you're this run down, more training isn't going to help, you need to be resting right now. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your race, I hope you get your energy back!

2014-09-22 8:33 AM
in reply to: #5052696

My only advice, go to your docs and get some valiums. They will help you relax, sleep and keep your mind calm. It'll chill you out and give your body some relax time.
2014-09-22 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would definitely rest up. That big an increase in resting heart rate either means a health issue (anemia, thyroid, coming down with a virus?) or you are seriously overtrained. Coupled with your earlier post about swimming, guessing it's one or both of those in addition to whatever form issues you might have--the difference really shouldn't be that dramatic even if your form is totally falling apart unless fatigue and/or illness are major factors as well.

For me the inability to sleep when tired is also a very clear warning sign that I've overdone it; if I don't back off ( as in maybe take a few days completely off and then a day or two very easy), there's probably a 50% chance I'll get sick. Not to alarm you--as an elementary teacher I'm exposed to lots of coughing, sneezing kiddos every day, so probably more vulnerable than most, but I would definitely err very far on the side of caution in this case. I'd just do easy stuff, as in no more than thirty minutes.a day, no intensity beyond a few strides or pickups. As my coach used to say, the money's either in the bank, or it isn't. Don't deplete your balance before the starting gun goes off.

If you've ever seen my race reports you'd know that I seem to specialize in getting sick during taper and hardly at any other time so maybe that's where my caution is coming from. On the plus side, if it is just overtraining, feeling like absolute cr.... often comes just before starting to feel better. Your body's first response when you lay off the daily grind is to notice just how tired and sore it is. Then, if you let it, it should start to rebuild. A week should be enough time if it's simply an issue of overtraining and you're otherwise healthy.
2014-09-22 8:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I

Originally posted by erinrockrun I'm doing Augusta this coming Sunday and for the past 10 days or so I have been dealing with all the classic symptoms of overtraining. I'm exhausted but can't fall asleep at night (sometimes I'll lay there with my mind racing until the alarm goes off,) my resting heart rate is up from 49-51 in June to 70-73 currently and I can't hold my paces in my workouts. I started training with a coach in July, and the volume and intensity increased compared to what I'm used to (about 14 hours week with heavy intervals vs 9-10 hours in the past with plenty of easy mileage.) Anyway, long story short is that I have always given myself a generous 2-3 week taper with plenty of rest days going into my HIM's. This time, I haven't had that. I do have workouts on the schedule every day up until race day. I gave myself a couple extra rest days in the past week but still feeling pretty run down. My question is, should I continue the workouts as planned or should I back off? Lay off the run and bike and just do some easy swimming? I've asked my coach but I think he's pretty busy so thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks for any advice.
I take it it's not an A-race event correct?  If it were a taper would be implemented for optimal performance.

Take the time off and relax, if this means yoga, massage (highly recommend), bubble baths , etc., then do it.  This time of the year a weakened immune system makes you vulnerable to all the misc. viruses going around.

2014-09-22 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If you coach is too busy to get back to you that's a big red flag to me. 

With less than a week to go, you already have your training "in the bank". 

My suggestion would be to ease off to make sure you're fresh for your race.  I wouldn't skip the bike and run completely, but just scale them back.

Good luck on Sunday.

Mark

2014-09-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Jimmycolorado

My only advice, go to your docs and get some valiums. They will help you relax, sleep and keep your mind calm. It'll chill you out and give your body some relax time.

^^^^ drugs are not the solution!

Hopefully your schedule this week is very light, you should do all 3 but need to make sure you are recovered before race day. Did you start tapering last week, just not as much as you are used to?
2014-09-22 11:36 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by trijamie

I've never worked privately with a coach but if he's too busy to give you pretty important advice like this so close to your race, then it might be time for a different coach. If it were me, in the condition that you're in right now, I'd really really tone down any training this week. If you're this run down, more training isn't going to help, you need to be resting right now. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your race, I hope you get your energy back!

exactly what i was going to post.

2014-09-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by Donto

I

I take it it's not an A-race event correct?  If it were a taper would be implemented for optimal performance.

Take the time off and relax, if this means yoga, massage (highly recommend), bubble baths , etc., then do it.  This time of the year a weakened immune system makes you vulnerable to all the misc. viruses going around.

Actually, it is my A race of 2014. My scheduled weeks were a peak of about 16 hours 2 weeks, out, 11 hours the week before, and then 13ish hours race week (which includes the race itself.) Coupled with being a full time student and working two jobs, it's just been a bit much. I doubt I can freshen up completely in the next 6 days, but I'm really going to try. I appreciate all the advice- especially the massages and bubble baths :-)
2014-09-22 2:02 PM

I actually think you'll freshen up quite well in 6 days and surprise yourself with how well you do. 6-7 days is actually an excellent window for pre-race recovery for AGers. Pros who are doing megavolume often need 2-3 weeks, but AGers often (usually) can get by on 7 days or even less. 

I did a more extended taper for my HIM this past year, 2.5 wks, and it was a bust for me. I definitely lost some fitness (granted I wasn't PRin'g my training volume to begin with even before that, but the overtaper didn't help.)

2014-09-22 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by yazmaster

I actually think you'll freshen up quite well in 6 days and surprise yourself with how well you do. 6-7 days is actually an excellent window for pre-race recovery for AGers. Pros who are doing megavolume often need 2-3 weeks, but AGers often (usually) can get by on 7 days or even less. 

I did a more extended taper for my HIM this past year, 2.5 wks, and it was a bust for me. I definitely lost some fitness (granted I wasn't PRin'g my training volume to begin with even before that, but the overtaper didn't help.)

I agree with Yaz. We are all different and we are probably different from race to race.
This was my load last October going to Miami 70.3. The last bar is race week.
A few 16hour weeks, a dip to 14 two weeks out, back to 16 1 week out and very little the week of the race. Maybe 3 hours + the race.
I did a 4h44 PB which I wasn't expecting. (And I'm old)

Trust your plan !! Your body can bounce back pretty quickly. Have confidence

Edited by marcag 2014-09-22 2:21 PM

(Screenshot 2014-09-22 15.08.00.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2014-09-22 15.08.00.png (23KB - 3 downloads)

2014-09-22 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5052696

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Don't listen to anybody but your own body.

You know very well what serious overtraining is. And if you keep on pushing you'll need 3 months rest.
2014-09-22 5:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Erin,

You have a very difficult juggling act to do between now and race day.

Getting to the start line properly rested and getting their stale because your body things it's ok to shut down is a difficult balance to find.

Speak with your coach.
Listen to your body.
Have confidence in yourself.
2014-09-22 7:38 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Erin, You have a very difficult juggling act to do between now and race day. Getting to the start line properly rested and getting their stale because your body things it's ok to shut down is a difficult balance to find. Speak with your coach. Listen to your body. Have confidence in yourself.

Excellent advice.

2014-09-22 9:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Definitely at this point rest is more important than any more workouts. That being said, I do best when I have SOME activity. Short relaxed workouts with maybe some 30 second high cadence / high turnover work mixed in just to keep a little speed in there. (I guess that is what axteraa was saying about balance between rest and not stale, so yes, excellent advice!)

Also, I have the racing mind and restless body at night problem ALOT, training or not. When I am leading up to a race, I've taken GNC AMP PM formula. Link below. It tastes god awful, and is way too expensive, but I swear it helps me relax enough to sleep yet not feel groggy the next day. Not sure if it's a good idea for you to try this now leading up to a race (always better to try it in training), but thought I'd suggest it in case you are desparte for a nice sleep

Good luck!

http://www.gnc.com/GNC-Pro-Performance-AMP-Amplified-Recover-PM-Fru...

PS...i have no affiliation with GNC. And, also, if anyone knows of a similar product that tastes better, please let me know! I really gag on this stuff.

Edited by keyone 2014-09-22 9:42 PM
2014-09-24 11:10 PM

User image

New user
All the hay is in the barn. Chill out, do some easy workouts as you can, sleeeeeeeep, rest, and hope for the best.

Every race I've gone into overtrained, even C races, I've had bad days. Just try to chill out and relax.

2014-09-29 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
So how did it go?
2014-09-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by keyone

So how did it go?

Thanks for asking. All things considered, it went well. I did nothing but rest/swim on alternating days the last week of taper and finally felt back to normal the day before the race. I ended up having a decent race, finishing 5th age group and even getting a slot to World's (although I passed because of an Austria trip being a little spendy!)

Long story short: good swim for me (30:00 but current-aided,) biked well but lost my nutrition right after the first water stop, so I had nothing to drink for 20 miles and then got stuck with perform which I do not stomach well. Bike time including stopping to get my nutrition sorted was 2:41 so I was pleased. Unfortunately, I fell apart on the run and it became a suffer fest- 1:48. Still, I'm stoked about everything!

This forum has been a wonderful resource getting ready for this race and helping me deal with my training issues. I can't thank everyone enough for all the help and support.
2014-09-29 9:54 PM

User image

5in in AG, that's awesome! Congratulations! Hopefully you're feeling better now. Training is supposed to be fun but ,at times, it's like a 2nd job and gets stressful/too much. Glad you were able to overcome it and do so well!
2014-09-30 8:12 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by Blastman

5in in AG, that's awesome! Congratulations! Hopefully you're feeling better now. Training is supposed to be fun but ,at times, it's like a 2nd job and gets stressful/too much. Glad you were able to overcome it and do so well!

Thanks and very true! I'm really looking forward to a few months of casual, off-season training.... trail running with no watch, hitting the pool a little extra and just biking for fun. I never thought I'd get any kind of award in an Ironman-branded race so it was nice to end the season on a high note.
2014-09-30 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
wow, congrats on a great finish at an m-dot branded race...sounds like you had an amazing race.

2014-09-30 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

congrats on the race, the weather was perfect this weekend and as far as I saw everything ran very smoothly

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtrained with 6 Days Until HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

15 Days until my first race

Started by gripperm
Views: 917 Posts: 13

2007-03-16 10:13 AM sunburnin

2 weeks + 2 days until iron...taper tips!

Started by Comet
Views: 983 Posts: 18

2005-10-06 11:04 AM tmwelshy

10 Days until the 2005 Tour De France

Started by zakk
Views: 1050 Posts: 20

2005-06-23 11:14 AM zakk

33 Days and 33 Nights until IMAZ

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 778 Posts: 8

2005-03-07 5:00 PM autumn

40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1254 Posts: 17

2005-03-01 4:33 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.