General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need a new frame? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 12:58 PM

User image

Subject: Do I need a new frame?
About four years ago I decided to get back into cycling after a 15-year hiatus. I didn't want to spend too much at the time, so I got a Trek 2.1, which is basically an entry-level road bike. Well, the good news is that I've gotten REALLY back into being on the bike. I'm riding every chance I get and I've also done about 10 triathlons over the past few years -- including some Olympics and two HIMs.

Obviously I should have purchased more bike at the time, but what I've done instead is make various upgrades along the way: new wheels, Dura Ace brakes and derallieurs (replacing 105s) and a new saddle. (See photo below.)

At this point I'm wondering if I should go all the way and get a better frameset. I absolutely love this bike (I've gotten a professional fit) but it's an aluminum frame and I have to believe that going to carbon fiber will give me better power transfer and a lighter bike.

Any wisdom here? If I had the cash I'd just go and get a higher-end road bike or even a TT bike, but that's not realistic right now. I have seen some nice framesets on Competitive Cyclist (Ridley Noah, for example) for about $1,400.

(Trek 2.1 upgraded.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Trek 2.1 upgraded.JPG (163KB - 7 downloads)

2014-09-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Do I need a new frame?
looks like a race winning (depending on the pilot) bike to me.

Upgrade because you WANT to, not because you NEED to.
2014-09-22 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Need? No. You're 99% of the way there aerodynamically, if your fit is spot-on. You're actually not losing power into the frame -- that's a misconception.

2014-09-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Thanks for the reassurance. (My wife will be grateful too).

I think what often happens is that we go to races (particularly the long-course ones) and see people setting up in transition with amazing TT bikes -- and the envy sets in. Yes, I'd still like something nicer, but like all of us I have to balance that against other priorities (kids, mortgage, travel).

I may still get a new frameset at some point, but I suppose there's no urgency.
2014-09-23 12:14 PM

User image

I just got a new bike and did tons of research on frames and carbon vs carbon composite vs aluminum. Going from aluminum to carbon might only save you a anywhere from half pound to maybe 2 at best. The benefit of dropping half a pound or two is very minimal on the frame. Likely you will only get .5-1 pound and lets be honest your paying a grand for a pound much easier to take a pound or 5 off the rider. Aero is where its at, that or components. You actually would get more out of aero wheels then a carbon frame. Also components are more critical.

I'd stick with frame and look at getting more aero.
2014-09-23 1:00 PM

User image

Pro

I don't think you need to replace that bike.  You may want to add another bike to your stable.  

A TT/Tri bike would compliment that steed nicely, and has the potential to give you a noticeably better bike split come race day.  So, if you're competitive, and are looking up at people on higher steps of the podium than you, and notice that they didn't beat you by much, and they had tricked out aero equipment.... that's usually the time people plink down the cash for a slippery new steed.

But- if you're not ready to do that... and you want a new cycling toy.  Buy a power meter.

2014-09-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

But- if you're not ready to do that... and you want a new cycling toy.  Buy a power meter.

This is a good point. I have a Garmin 800, but mostly use it to measure speed, distance, and calories burned. I need to figure out what to buy so that I can measure watts. Does anyone have recommendations?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need a new frame? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Difference between raod frame and cross frame...

Started by wide awake
Views: 1242 Posts: 5

2010-10-08 2:15 PM sjw503

Need Help Building Up my Road Frame & Fork

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 717 Posts: 5

2009-12-22 9:50 PM TXGreyhoundGuy

Difference between a regular frame and a compact frame

Started by spjon25
Views: 7394 Posts: 14

2009-11-19 8:32 PM Tundra_Man

Need new frame opinion!

Started by carsick30
Views: 692 Posts: 3

2009-10-11 1:04 PM EjustE

carbon frame or alum-carbon frame?

Started by pcobbs
Views: 873 Posts: 5

2006-09-24 9:23 PM pcobbs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?