World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 55m
Overall Rank = 183/2,800+
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/400+
Pre-race routine:

Ate about 1,000 calories between fig newtons at midnight and peanut butter on bagel at 4 AM. Drank water and Chocolate Milk also. Brought water and GU to sip on during pre-race, and took the GU 10 minutes before the start of the swim with water.
Event warmup:

swam about 200 yards to the swim start...that's about it. Race morning is always so darn emotional...seeing all my buddies and the family gather in the Terrace, that's a real powerful feeling!
Swim
  • 1h 02m 49s
  • 4224 yards
  • 22m 19s / 1500 yards
Comments:

worked hard on the swim this year...thought I might go 1-1.01 but to my surprise, it didn't happen, I felt like I was pusing a good 1.30 pace...stroke felt great, never got tired...ran into about 5-6 log jams that I had to swim thru, but I stayed calm and confident and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

seeded myself right at the inside buoy about 2-3 deep, great start...everything went well.
Transition 1
  • 05m 24s
Comments:

really hustled up the helix, wanted to be under 6' in the T1, breezed thru the change room, ran with helmet, decided to put shoes on at bike and run the to the mount area with the bike and shoes on. put food in shirt while running also.

nothing, it wsa good.
Bike
  • 5h 34m 40s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.08 mile/hr
Comments:

goal pace was 230...I was 235 at the halfway mark atnd 20.6 MPH...second loop I slowed a bit...some was the aerobar, some was me getting tired.

Fix the Aero Pad in advance properly and tape down my flat kit versus the velcro that came undone which caused me an additional 1 minute and riding with flat kit in my shirt for 70+ miles.
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

hustled into T1 found bag right away. Had sox on before i realized i didn't put body glide on, so that wasted 30 seconds taking sox off and applying glide. Ran out then realized my flat kit was still in my shirt...needed to think this all thru better on the last 1-2 miles of the ride. Tossed my flat kit into the mens change room and just yelled, 2038!....great guys, they put it in my T2 bag...thanks!

Think this all thru better on the end of the ride to be better prepared.
Run
  • 4h 09m 18s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my day...not sure why...legs responded to the bricks all year long, but today, the quads just werent having it...they quivered a bit on the bike which was odd...then they were just tired, heavy, and crampy on the run...just tired, didnt' have anything in me to get that last 13 miles. Never really baled on a race like this before, but dediced to enjoy the last 13 miles the best I could...walked a LOT, and ate a LOT, and just tried to be positive, thankful, and appreciate being a 3 time Ironman at the age of 42. Miss my family.
Ran Observatory the first time, walked the second. Pretty hot going out the first time, second was more overcast.

don't run with a multi-tool in run jersey pocket for 18 miles...those things aren't light.

Have a backup plan...once my race day run plan was failing, I scrammbled to come up with a second goal...don't walk and PR, but after 13 miles, I decided walking wasnt' all bad, I had very little energy and my legs were toast. Where is the brick runs I've been doing all year when I felt great? Wish I knew...maybe it's the hilly bike, maybe it's just not my day, nutrition (never had cramps or GI issues all day), not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

hugs, a few tears, happiness, relief...some food...then cheering on my ironman brothers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wish I knew...just didn't have it in me. As I reflect, I feel the bike took a fare share out of me...as I kind of knew from my first step out of the Terrace, a 3.30 was not in my reach...I held on thinking the legs might come back, but after 12 miles, all i wanted to do was stop and walk....so I did. In hinsight I could have grinded thru the last 14 miles and mustered up a PR...but I just didn't have the drive to do it, my goal was beyond that, once that goal was lost, i was content becoming an IM...and with 4 miles left, I dediced a sub 11 would be nice, so I started running again. Finished with a smile and hugged the family.....no regrets on this day...feeling blessed.

Event comments:

Great venue....very challenging bike course...takes it's toll. Support on this course is out of this world amazing! Fans and Volunteers ROCK! Way cool!

Last updated: 2014-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:49 | 4224 yards | 22m 19s / 1500yards
Age Group: 18/400+
Overall: 146/2,800+
Performance: Good
No Data
Suit: Long Sleeve Zoot
Course: ONe large rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:34:40 | 112 miles | 20.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/400+
Overall: 123/2,800+
Performance: Average
Data still coming
Wind: Little
Course: Brutal course...felt great on stick, good on first loop, and pretty much hanging on the last loop...stick back in a was reinvigurated by the light tailwind. All in all, it was a PR ride, but the Watts were lacking on the second loop. Busted aero arm pad didnt' help as I had to ride sitting up more than typical (80 miles of no Aero Bar Pad)...prettty uncomfortable, but I didn't let that get me down, I was just spinning thru it and breaking the course up into very small increments. Pretty surprised that my legs were getting tired on the second loop, I really had a hard time keeping the Watts up...235 first loop...but low 200's the second loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:09:18 | 26.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/400+
Overall: 183/2,800+
Performance: Bad
Coming....
Course: 2 Loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 3:01 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Wisconsin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin (Steve-) Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve-
Views: 8744 Posts: 35

2005-10-02 7:47 AM jsargevt

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by aluminum1
Views: 4929 Posts: 23

2005-09-20 12:40 PM cpjohnson

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by weds19
Views: 2395 Posts: 21

2005-09-15 10:54 AM Writebrained

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by hdhtri
Views: 6887 Posts: 28

2005-09-21 11:16 AM mullinsm

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by moondance
Views: 3891 Posts: 31

2005-09-19 12:18 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.