General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished first Intermediate Distance Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 3:09 PM

Subject: Finished first Intermediate Distance Tri
Well my 2nd Triathlon is in the books. Just completed the Kiawah Island Triathlon. .7 mile swim, 25.1 mile bike, 10k run. Total time: 3:13:32.

About the race:

Swim split: 51:11: slowest in my age group by 6 minutes (age 31). From here on out swimming will take a priority in training. Sighting is also a lot more important than I originally thought. I had to back stroke the majority of the swim. I think I swam closer to a mile. I wore a wetsuit that DQ'ed me from Age group awards but I needed it for buoyancy. This is the last time that I don't put a serious focus on my swimming.

T1: 2:58: next Tri, I'll work on having shoes clipped into bike and also start to incorporate training without socks.

Bike split: 1:19: averaged 19 mph. First time racing my Tri bike. Happy with the time but would lke to get my average speed closer to 20.5 by next years season. This race I really focused on keeping my heart rate in check so I had enough energy to finish the run strong.

T2: 1:49: didn't feel this slow but will focus on being out of my bike shoes before reaching the dismount.

Run: 58:19: at this point my goal was to finish at a 9:30 pace and not have to stop at all. I met the goal and had enough in the tank to sprint the last .25 mile.

My goal pre race was to finish in under 3 hours. Had my swim been a bit better I think I would have gotten it. Anyway, I'm hooked on the sport and ready to train for next season.

2014-09-22 3:42 PM
in reply to: gonzoballz

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Finished first Intermediate Distance Tri

Congrats.  Nice effort for the first time at the distance. 

Get your swimming in line with your bike and run and you'll be golden.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished first Intermediate Distance Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finished my first Olympic Distance Tri!!!!

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 907 Posts: 11

2012-05-29 1:51 PM runswithcrazydog

1st Tri, Olympic distance... just want to finish

Started by kimmy013
Views: 1189 Posts: 13

2011-08-23 9:02 AM Ghostfacekiller

Finished my FIRST in my first tri!

Started by HBchinadoll
Views: 970 Posts: 3

2004-05-28 3:37 PM Whizzer

Last Saturday I finished my first tri and I am hooked

Started by jnarenki
Views: 1503 Posts: 5

2003-10-04 2:48 PM Michael

Finished My First Tri

Started by Turbomentor
Views: 624 Posts: 4

2005-07-24 9:07 PM betsybromley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : mcinTri2010
comments : 10
It has been a bucket list item for years...something to do before I'm 25. Okay, maybe I'll push that to 30. Okay, maybe I'll let it go altogether.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : March 9, 2007
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.