General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Bad... Recovery week run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-23 10:45 AM

User image

Subject: A Bad... Recovery week run?
Hey all,

I'm probably more talking at the world for some empathy here. I have been weening off tris with the season closing and building up for the NYC marathon (!) and have been following a plan that has gradually increased my distance/ long run. I have been feeling healthy and strong the entire way through, until it was time to ease off for a week and pull back on mileage. The following chain of events happened:

2 Sundays Ago: Ran 18.6 Miles. Felt fantastic.
(33 miles total for the week, including Yasso 800s.)

Last Wednesday: Did 6 miles at race pace, tweaked groin slightly.
Last Sunday: Had to run 13 miles on terribly humid day, hips/groin locked up at mile 11, stumbled to finish line.
(27 miles total, including 6 miles speed work.)

The weather was definitely a factor, but I am feeling really sore still between my ITB and groin. It just feels so weird that I was able to breeze through an 18 miler and then hit a wall during a recovery week. I have been icing like crazy the last 2 weeks, and typically ice bath and foam roll with a triggerpoint every week as it stands.

Anyone else ever feel like their body was breaking down when they were supposed to be giving it a rest? This week calls for 36 miles and a 20 mile long run. Do I go through with it? <6 weeks out and I'm in the best shape of my life. Don't wanna blow this once in a lifetime opportunity.

2014-09-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: A Bad... Recovery week run?
Wow, building up for a marathon! That's really great! I'm building up to my first marathon and it's happening in 3 weeks and I'm currently at my highest peak in regards to volume so I'm with you with the excitement.

Anyway, I've never felt your pains in a recovery week the past couple months as I also focused on marathon training after finishing racing my triathlons. The biggest thing I noticed though is how much of your long runs take up as a percentage of your total weekly volume lately. They are wayyyy to high man. That's may be what's causing your problems lately.

I'll let our other more experienced athletes here chime in and offer more insight for you. Good luck with training and get to that starting line!
2014-09-24 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I often feel a lot worse during recovery or taper weeks than hard weeks. I've had more easy runs where I felt like cr.... than I can count. And then on the days when I should fully expect to feel pretty sore/tired (the day after a long/hard run or bike), I often feel great. Maybe when you back off for more than a few days, your body starts to let you know how sore and tired it really is (when you're not totally focused on the goal of getting through a tough workout or big week).

I'm guessing a big issue with your training is that your long run is a large % of your weekly mileage. So while you may feel great at the time, it's taking a toll on your body, especially when heat/humidity enter the equation. Dehydration plus fatigue is often a recipe for cramping and increased soreness. I think if running doesn't aggravate the issue, continuing to do easy mileage is okay, but I wouldn't do speedwork or a 20 mile run if I was hurting before I even started. I would play it by ear. If it's not in the cards for this week, you still have six weeks and could easily fit in one, if not two, 20 miles runs beore you taper.
2014-09-24 7:10 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yes, I often feel a lot worse during recovery or taper weeks than hard weeks. I've had more easy runs where I felt like cr.... than I can count. And then on the days when I should fully expect to feel pretty sore/tired (the day after a long/hard run or bike), I often feel great. Maybe when you back off for more than a few days, your body starts to let you know how sore and tired it really is (when you're not totally focused on the goal of getting through a tough workout or big week).

I'm guessing a big issue with your training is that your long run is a large % of your weekly mileage. So while you may feel great at the time, it's taking a toll on your body, especially when heat/humidity enter the equation. Dehydration plus fatigue is often a recipe for cramping and increased soreness. I think if running doesn't aggravate the issue, continuing to do easy mileage is okay, but I wouldn't do speedwork or a 20 mile run if I was hurting before I even started. I would play it by ear. If it's not in the cards for this week, you still have six weeks and could easily fit in one, if not two, 20 miles runs beore you taper.

I agree.

Sounds like you overdid it the week before. 18.6 miles on a total of 33 miles for the week is a lot. Also, adding speedwork on top of that is asking for trouble. Your body takes too much time to recover after that effort.

I would add mileage (provided you are still not hurt) to the rest of the week, not the long run, and perhaps even shorten the long run. I'd do 2.5 hours (easy pace!), and go as far as that time allowed. I would also drop the 800s.

You also want to look at what you are doing for your other miles. Make sure you are running your easy miles easy enough.

And as far as empathy goes, yes, you will be sore a lot. But you have to differentiate between "good sore" and "bad sore." A tweaked groin is a "bad sore," and almost certainly caused by running too hard on overfatigued muscles.

I'll also be at NYC and am looking forward to it. Good luck in your training!

Edited by ImSore 2014-09-24 7:11 AM
2014-09-24 9:11 AM

Shrug, we all have bad runs and bad weeks. Sounds like you had a hard week prior and you may have pushed your body too hard considering the weather.

If I were you, I'd make sure I'm taking down enough fluids so the muscles are getting what they need, keep the intensity down, and just run through it (assuming only soreness, no sharp pains). Keep to your plan if you can, it's gotten you this far. But, you say you're in great shape, the best of your life. Bagging a run for some extra recovery is not going to break your race, however, pushing a run when you body is telling you not too. . . could get you injured and break your race. Make sure you listen to your body.

On the side, I'm not sure where 800's speed work fits into a marathon plan. If I was limited to 33/35 miles per week and thought my body could handle some intensity on top of the miles, I would lean toward running more miles. I would also lean toward tempo instead of track workouts for marathon planning.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Bad... Recovery week run? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

high bike volume in a run recovery week

Started by deadman
Views: 502 Posts: 3

2012-03-15 1:18 AM metafizx

Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week

Started by FELTGood
Views: 757 Posts: 3

2012-01-24 11:49 AM JZig

Distance run on recovery week

Started by Phaethon
Views: 539 Posts: 2

2011-07-06 9:02 AM TriAya

Running mileage after a rest/recovery week

Started by Ershk
Views: 595 Posts: 5

2009-12-18 12:21 PM Ershk

question on 3rd scheduled run per week and recovery

Started by jackjack
Views: 874 Posts: 6

2006-05-10 8:35 AM jackjack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.
date : May 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
The impact forces and eccentric contractions associated with running stress muscles, ligaments, and tendons to a point that requires greater recovery than the other sports.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.