General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Goals, goals and more goals. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-25 10:20 AM

Subject: Goals, goals and more goals.
Hi all,

I completed my first tri on my 30th birthday with my amazing sisters and decided at that time I was going to become an IRONMAN before I hit 40. Just celebrating my 34th and completed my Master's degree in May so now have the time to dedicated to a more demanding workout schedule.

I am just starting out again building up distance, times and losing weight. I am grossly overweight but strong so I know I have an uphill battle. My first tri I completed at my absoulte heaviest weight and am down 30 from that with still many, many more pounds to lose. I am here to compete againist myself and need a goal to stay motivated. My toungue in cheek motto is "FAT GIRLS FINISH". Currently I follow a 90/10 paleo diet (ie. I eat some corn and potatoes).

I am opposite of most in that swimming is my best and running is my worst. Any tips and tricks for the run is what I will be looking for most. Currently this is where I sit:

Tired but still moving currently at (seperate times):
90 Min bike (30 miles)
22 Min Swim (1 mile)
60 Min Run/Walk (Waddle) (4 miles)

Currently the plan is:
Olympic distance May 2015
1/2 IronMan : Oct 2016
IronMan: Aug 2017

2014-09-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: alwaysmore

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Goals, goals and more goals.
Originally posted by alwaysmore

Hi all,

I completed my first tri on my 30th birthday with my amazing sisters and decided at that time I was going to become an IRONMAN before I hit 40. Just celebrating my 34th and completed my Master's degree in May so now have the time to dedicated to a more demanding workout schedule.

I am just starting out again building up distance, times and losing weight. I am grossly overweight but strong so I know I have an uphill battle. My first tri I completed at my absoulte heaviest weight and am down 30 from that with still many, many more pounds to lose. I am here to compete againist myself and need a goal to stay motivated. My toungue in cheek motto is "FAT GIRLS FINISH". Currently I follow a 90/10 paleo diet (ie. I eat some corn and potatoes).

I am opposite of most in that swimming is my best and running is my worst. Any tips and tricks for the run is what I will be looking for most. Currently this is where I sit:

Tired but still moving currently at (seperate times):
90 Min bike (30 miles)
22 Min Swim (1 mile)
60 Min Run/Walk (Waddle) (4 miles)

Currently the plan is:
Olympic distance May 2015
1/2 IronMan : Oct 2016
IronMan: Aug 2017

Congratulations on the Master's Degree! I'll just say I'm jealous of your swimming, and I think that is a huge plus for you. Your plan looks very reasonable to me. As you progress and the pounds come off, I believe the running/walking will see the most improvement. I'm not a coach, so my only advise is to stick with it, and build up gradually in distance/volume, and take easy/rest days every so often, and easy/rest weeks as well. On those easy/rest days/weeks I still try to stay active but it might be a real easy biking around town, or walking the beach etc. Keep up the great work!
2014-10-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

Wow, well thank you for the encouragement, I think I am really going to need it!
2014-10-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: alwaysmore

User image

, North Carolina
You are really getting in with that swim!

Just keep running/jogging/walking. It takes time to add miles a build your speed. Same with the bike.

Seems like I recommend this every time I post but a good heart rate monitor would do you wonders and learning what it means for you and your body.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Goals, goals and more goals. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first step towards my goal

Started by michael_Aus
Views: 662 Posts: 4

2004-08-30 12:11 PM COgirl

Tri as a goal

Started by jlusk
Views: 772 Posts: 8

2004-06-30 5:33 PM jlusk

goal times for first tri?

Started by texastrier
Views: 1142 Posts: 10

2004-04-07 3:20 PM arturcampos

Lofty goals

Started by hibby
Views: 1172 Posts: 14

2004-01-28 9:33 AM TriMom217

Setting an achievable goal

Started by Alibaba
Views: 1053 Posts: 5

2003-11-05 2:14 AM Chris Tree
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : April 8, 2010
author : Team BT
Create goals to help you train and lose weight. Our logger will automatically update your goals.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.