General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Final push or heal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-26 10:42 AM

Subject: Final push or heal
I am 29 days from my first full ironman. My modest goal is to simply finish the race before cutoff.

I have been on track with my training and feel strong. Yesterday I got a small pull on my hamstring. Even with regular stretching, I tend to have trouble with my hamstrings regularly. I know that if I go easy for two weeks, I can get my hamstring back to 100%. Unfortunately going easy for two weeks puts me into the taper.

I am of the opinion that it is better to be 100% healthy, even if this means I have to go easy for the last four weeks. I could push through, but I run the risk of making the pull worse. I have a 100 mile ride and a 20 mile run coming up on my plan before taper, but I am thinking this will be far too much.

I realize that by taking a more careful approach I may have to suffer a little extra on the day of the race. Any thoughts?

2014-09-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: tjudson

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Final push or heal
Always go the health option. Better to race underpowered than have to DNF because OCD caused you to run that last workout. My .02.
2014-09-26 11:34 AM

, Idaho
You wrote - "I realize that by taking a more careful approach I may have to suffer a little extra on the day of the race."

Not so fast my friend. If you've already put in the proper amount of time training up until now, you may be surprised how ready you'll be if you focus on health for a few weeks.

Don't risk pulling a hammy. Rest. If you injure your hamstring further, you're a minimum of 3-4 weeks to get back...and most likely longer (remember Jozy Altidore this summer).
2014-09-26 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Heal!

If you wanna workout go ahead but keep them all easy as to not hurt yourself more.

~Roland
2014-09-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #5054331

User image

, North Carolina
Rest and finish is my vote.
2014-09-28 7:15 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I would rest the injury, but focus on some serious Core and light strength with the upper body avoiding anything that might hurt or stress the tendon until its healed ,being only 4 weeks out your current fitness level should carry you thru. If the tendon feels really really good I might even work in some short medium or light intensity workouts the week before the race just to get every thing loose and back in gear before the race. Tapering is great and is the preferred method of prepping for a big race but its not a hard and fast rule so if I was pretty confident that after 3 weeks that the tendon was better personally I would like to get a little work on it before the race, but if I had any dought that it wasn't 100% or very close to it then I would not do anything till the race cross my fingers and hope that it holds up or consider dropping out altogether.

Working it a bit before the race would either increase my confidence level a little going into the race or convince me that maybe this race is best left for another day. No race is worth the possibility of causing a more serious or longer term injury, there will always other races although it does suck to walk away from something you have put in so much effort getting ready for.

Good Luck, Hope it gets better for you

2014-09-28 1:39 PM

If you are too injured to race, there is no point in pushing yourself now. I found this video online talking about recovering from injury. It doesn't necessarily apply strictly to your situation because it is just talking about recovery in general, not right before a race, but it brings up some good points. At this point you should have done most of the work. You can sit somewhat comfortably knowing that whatever you may lack from the last few weeks of training you will be able to make up for from your base training.

Here is the link to the video: http://goo.gl/37MnEi

Hope this helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Final push or heal Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To push or not to push - a coaching question

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 746 Posts: 2

2007-09-03 9:41 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

Shoulder that just won't heal!

Started by Angeb
Views: 762 Posts: 8

2006-10-21 3:54 PM Angeb

to push off or not to push off

Started by runningslug
Views: 712 Posts: 10

2005-04-25 11:19 PM bsjracing

Crash aftermath: Bruises how long to heal?

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 616 Posts: 6

2004-08-16 11:38 PM rookie44

Need advice about healing blisters

Started by ginagin
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2004-07-05 8:51 PM ginagin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : June 26, 2006
author : Team BT
Push-Up - Feet Elevated strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Push-Up - Narrow strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Push-Up - Wide strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Push-Up - Knees Bent strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Push-Up strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Push-Up - Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.