United States
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 37s
Overall Rank = 103/149
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 21/25
Pre-race routine:

I got up a little early for PB/honey and coffee. Sally and Lauri were at the house at about 4 and we carpooled the two hours to Oceanside. Great company to pass time with! We parked at the free lot, signed in, went back to the car for our stuff, and had a lot of extra time before we walked down the beach and played in the surf before the gun.
Event warmup:

I showed Sally the ropes for her first ever ocean OWS - we were in the surf for a few minutes to get used to things.
Swim
  • 1h 31m 37s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the hardest OWS swim ever for me. I'm never tired after a swim, but I was this time Surf was breaking all the way to the turn buoy and the end of the pier. There were a lot more swells and chop that the previous two years. It took a lot of work to sight the buoys to the harbor. I'm surprised and happy that I had a straight line on the Garmin.

The course was long again this year, about 2.6 miles, and it seemed extra long with the hard work fighting the chop. Way different than last year's perfect conditions.

Last year, it was easy to draft and find people with good lines. We were in a reasonably narrow pack, only losing people when they didn't sight to the far buoy. This year, we were blown apart, and I didn't draft *at* *all* - I was expecting a crowd since there were twice as many swimmers this year.

Oh yeah, I lost a minute or two when I thought my timing chip was falling off in the surf, and ended up tying the strap in a knot near the turn buoy. A lot of my usual company was a 100 yards in front of me at the first turn.

Results
Post race
Warm down:

Sally and Ryan were there to cheer me at the finish, and our crowd from the DBC found each other and chatted.

Event comments:

Tough conditions today!

Last updated: 2014-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:31:37 | 4224 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 103/149
Performance: Average
The Garmin says 2.6 miles, 1:55 pace
Suit: Sleeveles
Course: Around the pier, up the beach, back down the harbor.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-28 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: TikiSwim4

2014-09-30 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5054797

User image

Subject: RE: TikiSwim4

Congrats on the finish.  I was there too and also thought it was the toughest OWS ever.  the waves made me feel like a rotisserie chicken rolling around out there.  couldn't swim flat and found myself being rolled to my sides with those waves all the way into the harbor.  tough swim, great support, great event even if the waves were cruel

2014-10-02 10:12 AM
in reply to: #5054797

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TikiSwim4

OMG, I am so glad you posted this.  I flew out to San Diego for this, my first ocean swim, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done!  My garmin also read 2.6 miles, and I thought maybe I just swam really far off course (it was hard for me to spot the buoys in the waves).  Glad to see it wasn't just me.  I agree that the support was wonderful.  Congrats on the finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TikiSwim4 Rss Feed