General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain bike skills on a road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-29 11:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: Mountain bike skills on a road bike
I know many people road bike(or tri) and do not mountain bike, but I wanted give a quick recap of parts of Saturdays ride where Mountain bike skills definitely came in handy.
I did an organized ride on Saturday with some friends that went across New Jersey. The route crossed RR tracks about 6 times, with many people slowing down or flatting when hitting some of the nasty ones. My friends and I simply bunny hopped over and kept our speed up. This skill has saved me multiple times over the years, yet many road bikers don't bother to learn it.

The biggest oh moment of the day was when the guy in front of me made a quick shift to the right which put me directly into a line of orange cones in the road at 24mph! hit the first one which somehow wrapped around the rear tire and shot off into the air. My friend pulled up next me and just commented that he had no idea how I stayed up hitting the cone like that. Again I contribute it to skills learned on the mountain bike.

So if you don't MTB or think it won't help you, think again. Not to mention those time when its cold and you don't want to get on the road (or tri) bike mountain biking tends to be warmer because of the slower speeds and the covered areas(at least in the north east).

2014-09-29 11:36 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Mountain bike skills on a road bike

MTB riding changed my kid's entire race in DL triathlon.  The handling skills and confidence he gained in just one winter of MTB riding couldn't have been taught in years of road bike training. 

Nice post.....worth it's weight in gold for imporving cycling.

2014-09-29 11:50 AM

User image

Bunny hopping and improved cornering are both useful on any bike. My descending skills greatly improved after I started mountain biking. You never do know when the skills will come in handy. One time I was riding behind a friend who crashed. I was able to get my front wheel around him and maintain control when my back wheel went over him (felt bad about that, but at least I didn't end up on the ground with him). Another time, a car deliberately ran me off the road. I was into the grass and back onto the pavement before I even realized what happened. It never hurts to have good bike handling skills.
2014-09-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Similar experience here. Grew up more on a mountain bike, so lots of trail time. Doesn't have to be anything crazy hard either. Just really used to looking out for and handling around/over various bumps and obstacles. Bikes intended for the road do tend to handle differently, but the adjustment to them is way faster than having to learn this in the first place.

ETA: In order to improve handling it tends to help finding more situations where you need to really maneuver the bike, and for that you'll find many more situations off-road than on. Even with the crappy roads around here, it's still not really close between them. Getting into actual single track will have so much more turning involved as well.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-29 12:13 PM
2014-09-29 12:13 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I couldn't agree more! For me...

Once on a screaming fast descent, while in a corner, I hit some gravel and started to slide. Because I was weighting the bike like I do mtn biking, I actually drifted out the other side and then my tires regained purchase.

Once on RAGBRAI I was chatting with a guy (who had a few beers I'm guessing) and he turned to wave at some pretty ladies passing. As he did this, his front wheel hits my back wheel. I was able to stay upright while he kept leaning INTO me for what was probably 10 secs or so. After I pull away, he goes down immediately. My friend was amazed I didn't go down with him.

Also reminds me of a time when I was mtn biking and came across a couple guys on road bikes riding the singletrack. They were NOT cyclocross bikes, but full on Italian road bikes. Obviously working on some skills.

Ted

P.S. Who can forget this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr89ku-K2WU

Edited by indianhillsted 2014-09-29 12:19 PM
2014-09-29 12:23 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

MTB riding changed my kid's entire race in DL triathlon.  The handling skills and confidence he gained in just one winter of MTB riding couldn't have been taught in years of road bike training. 

Nice post.....worth it's weight in gold for imporving cycling.

Can help a lot in nondraft as well. Improved cornering can help more than some aero gear does (to give some perspective). The awareness part can be significant too. There are differences in reading lines on a trail vs reading a crowd of people, but it constantly works on the mental capacity. Thinking & processing observations all the time. Being very aware of what's going on around and coming up.

2014-09-29 1:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Fort Walton Beach
I was down on my bars a couple of weeks ago and waved to someone riding the other way. I somehow managed to steer the bike right off the edge of the road. I kept pedaling, eased off my bars and rode right back up the shoulder and kept going. I was really hoping that no one saw me. Alas, my hubby had crested the small rise behind me and witnessed it. Crap. Anyhow, I was very pleasantly surprised that I didn't wreck and the spouse was equally pleased as it would have messed up our day(s). He was so relieved that he didn't tease me about it : )

2014-09-29 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Once I was riding downhill coming around a corner and minivan backed out of a driveway right in front of me, I braked fast and hard, road was narrow with one lane each direction, a car was coming towards me and on left side of the road was a large tree, my options where to go were severely limited. When braking my rear tire started to skid, but my CX skills helped me stay upright to narrowly miss the back of the minivan, go through middle of the road avoiding the on coming vehicle and not crash. It scared me but I was quite amazed I didn't crash or get hit by a car/minivan.

Riding off road for sure helps riding on the road skills.

2014-09-29 2:20 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Originally posted by indianhillsted

I couldn't agree more! For me...

Once on a screaming fast descent, while in a corner, I hit some gravel and started to slide. Because I was weighting the bike like I do mtn biking, I actually drifted out the other side and then my tires regained purchase.

Once on RAGBRAI I was chatting with a guy (who had a few beers I'm guessing) and he turned to wave at some pretty ladies passing. As he did this, his front wheel hits my back wheel. I was able to stay upright while he kept leaning INTO me for what was probably 10 secs or so. After I pull away, he goes down immediately. My friend was amazed I didn't go down with him.

Also reminds me of a time when I was mtn biking and came across a couple guys on road bikes riding the singletrack. They were NOT cyclocross bikes, but full on Italian road bikes. Obviously working on some skills.

Ted

P.S. Who can forget this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr89ku-K2WU

Oh, that reminds me of the time when I was riding behind someone and a dog charged him from head on. He hit his brakes and I slammed into his back wheel but recovered. I have also hit a dog that charged my front wheel. Dangerous stuff out there.
2014-09-29 2:55 PM

Baltimore, MD
The first time I tried bunny hopping my road bike, I broke a spoke on the rear wheel, so I now do it sparingly. I agree that there are much more bike handling skills to be learned on a MTB. I regularly lift the front wheel over bumps, or lift off the seat and make my arms "loose" when encountering bumps.
2014-09-29 3:50 PM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by schaumi lift off the seat and make my arms "loose" when encountering bumps.

Doesn't everyone do that?

2014-09-29 4:03 PM

, Wisconsin
2nd place in the Tour De France this year went to a former World Champ in mountain biking. He switched to road bike very late in his career. His bike handling skills are amazing. Jean-Christophe Peraud.
2014-09-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: KathyG

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by schaumi lift off the seat and make my arms "loose" when encountering bumps.

Doesn't everyone do that? 

Surprisingly, no. Loads of little things like that seem so instinctive to some, but are not to a number of newer riders and triathletes. I was quite a amazed when first getting into tri.

2014-09-29 5:47 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Originally posted by MikeD1 2nd place in the Tour De France this year went to a former World Champ in mountain biking. He switched to road bike very late in his career. His bike handling skills are amazing. Jean-Christophe Peraud.

Off the top of my head, Cadel Evans, Ryder Hesjedal, and Peter Sagan were other World Championship caliber mountain bikers earlier in their careers.

2014-09-29 5:52 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I have no interest in mountain biking but I've been playing around off road on my single speed cross bike and I feel this will greatly improve my handling over the winter.

I'm sure there are a great many skills to be learned and transferred to the road while on a cross or MTB.
2014-09-30 8:40 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I claim no amazing speed or skills on any kind of bike but....we have a unique kind of single-track riding here in Vietnam--narrow cement or sometimes dirt paths between fish ponds or rice paddies that are barely wide enough for one bike. At most, on the biggest paths, you can get two bikes (or a motorbike and a bike) past one another with millimeters to spare if you encounter opposing traffic (which is an even greater challenge than staying upright on the narrowest paths, since it's now you plus a moving target.) The penalty for failure is falling (attached to your bike if clipped in) into deep mud or muddy water. It takes very steady nerves, balance, total focus, and steady handling. When I first started riding with aerobars, I was really apprehensive about it, but our LBS owner, who's pretty much the closest thing to a bike coach I've ever had, pointed out that "If you can stay out of the paddies, you'll be fine on aerobars." He was right.

2014-09-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: Brian W

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Brian W I have no interest in mountain biking but I've been playing around off road on my single speed cross bike and I feel this will greatly improve my handling over the winter. I'm sure there are a great many skills to be learned and transferred to the road while on a cross or MTB.

That would work too. The basic idea is to put yourself into situations where you do more than just go pretty straight forward. It doesn't actually have to be off-roading at all, but in going off-road it's more likely that way more maneuvering will be involved. And getting more practice at that was the original point.

2014-09-30 10:15 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Brian W I have no interest in mountain biking but I've been playing around off road on my single speed cross bike and I feel this will greatly improve my handling over the winter. I'm sure there are a great many skills to be learned and transferred to the road while on a cross or MTB.

That would work too. The basic idea is to put yourself into situations where you do more than just go pretty straight forward. It doesn't actually have to be off-roading at all, but in going off-road it's more likely that way more maneuvering will be involved. And getting more practice at that was the original point.

Because I ride MTB(mostly in the winter) I don't consider myself a good bike handler. Some of the guys I ride with will do stuff that just looks crazy to me. When I was younger I would have tried some of it, but it just hurts more now.

We do have a rule, all reflector stay on the bike unless you can knock them off on the trail. The seatpost reflector is the only one left on my bike

Edited by mike761 2014-09-30 10:17 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain bike skills on a road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road bike / Mountain Bike Shoe

Started by Swimbikeron
Views: 661 Posts: 4

2013-06-07 11:52 PM timf79

Switching from mountain bike to road bike...

Started by mbasta
Views: 2168 Posts: 4

2010-09-24 9:24 PM Tim_H

Mountain Biking v. Road Bike for training

Started by keg97
Views: 875 Posts: 8

2010-06-20 9:12 PM swofford11

Difference b/w mountain bike and road bike

Started by jedward12
Views: 1692 Posts: 12

2009-03-13 11:27 AM whynot-tri

The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike

Started by nicolascole
Views: 1617 Posts: 22

2006-04-19 8:38 AM weds19
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.