Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-29 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: Tri team people
People who are on Tri teams.
I was wondering.
Outside of your coach(s) who get all the sponsorship ?
What kind of sponsorship do you have ?
What kind of sponsorship do you want ?
Does your team have people who regularly podium ?
Do members of your team do other events ? Swim or bike .. We all run.

Do you like your team kit ?
Do you travel as team to "big" races ? What I mean is do a majority choose a race and all sign up ?
If so, how do you place in the "team" time overall. Or what I mean is at IM Syracuse, our team came in second overall behind Bahrain who had 10 guys at the race.

Who manages the website ?
Do you have a team wrench ?
How do you recruit new members ?
How much is your membership ?
What do you get with your membership ?

I appreciate your time and all answers. Also, if there is anything I'm missing.

I'm asking to see how we can better our team.

2014-09-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: louamerica

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-30 2:25 PM

New user
Subject: RE: Tri team people
Our team is somewhat new (it was a tri club for kids 11-18 y/o for a couple of years until 2014 when they opened it to adults as well.) So a different perspective here I guess.

I noticed an ad in the local newspaper in April, for a presentation of the club and its activities. I went and signed up the same night.
For its first year the adult group had around 15-20 people in May - but down to around 12-15 in August. All complete beginners in triathlons (aside from me and 1 other guy, having done 1 tri in 2013). All in all with the kids and the coaches we are around 50 people, so pretty small.

The management team are responsible for getting sponsorships, ordering team kits, managing the website and recruiting new members, as well as keeping us informed of different activities, events etc.

Sponsorships we had this year:
local running store
local bike shop
local bank
local grocery store
a local outdoor recreation center, where we would do our OWS practices in the artificial lake.

The club has a calendar of "official" races, where many of the coaches are present with a tent (and homemade muffins, gotta love it ). If signed up to a race not in the official calendar though, you just had to mention it and a coach would arrange to be there for support. Pretty cool.

We had a couple of AG podiums this year on the adult side (no OA podiums); a few youngsters of our team podiumed at different events during the summer also, including the Youth Canada Games. 2 of our coaches actually qualified for Kona at the Mont-Tremblant 140.6;
I can see that next year, 1 or 2 members have a chance to podium Overall, with a little bit more experience and focus on training. (Not me!!!)
As a team we are not yet high in the team rankings, being so small and inexperienced. This may change in the next few years though, wait and see!

Love the team kit, but only got to wear it once in a race this year (we got them early August. You want tri kits, order early!!!) I look forward to wearing it next year though.
I don't think other members swim in races, but a few do cycle events and almost all of them run.

Membership - 3 main ways of recruiting:
1 - Ad in local papers in the early season
2 - Word of mouth (my husband is joining the club next year, as will a few parents of the kids, friends etc.)
3 - The club also organizes an event at the end of the summer. It targets beginners with a try-a-tri, super sprint and sprint events, plus 5k and 10k runs, complete with bibs, medals, lunch at the end, free race pictures etc. We had close to 300 participants for the 2nd edition this year. I can see many participants joining the club next year, we'll see!

Membership costs around $200. With that we get a coached run on Mondays; a coached bike on Wenesdays; pool time with individual coaching on Thursdays and OWS on Friday ams. Also, discounts at the running store, 20% discounts and priority of service at the bike shop (this one is pretty cool and handy!), run clinic analysis and bike repair clinics (all free of charge) during the season. We heard of a possible deal with a local gym to train as a group during the off-season, have yet to see if it works out.

Hope this helps!
2014-09-30 8:22 PM

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Tri team people

I have been on a tri team for the last 2 years. www.gulfcoasttriteam.com  The team is made up of the top 2-4 athletes in each age group from the geographical area stretching from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi to the Destin area on the Florida panhandle. There are about 20 members currently ranging from age 18 to 61. Membership on the team is earned through performance in local races. There are 7 "team races" where you earm points based on overall or age group podium finishes. You must race at least 4 of the races in order to be considered for the team each year. It is also expected that athletes do well in the overall results but points are only awarded for overall and age group podiums. We have some guys that  consistently are competitive for the overall win in local races and most all of the members AG podium in local races. This year we also did a team road trip where approx half the team traveled down to the Tampa area to do the Top Gun Triathlon and the Nature Coast Twilight Triathlon one weekend. The races were the same day (ugh!) but it was a blast and the team placed well in the events.

Having to earn your spot on the team each year is great motivation. It is a great group of guys and racing with and against the guys is fun. We also make sure to enjoy post race events. The camraderie is a huge plus. I also train periodically with a couple of guys that live near me. 

Sponsorships-the founder of the team handles this. Most of our sponsors are businesses that are related to triathlon in some way. Main sponsor is a local bike/tri shop. Other sponsors include Subaru, running store, chiropractor, orthopedic group and a few smaller sponsors. We each get a custom LG kit made to advertise the sponsors. We also have custom pre/post race shirts that we all wear before races and during awards to represent the team and provide added exposure for team sponsors. Sponsorship money provides each member with a full kit, tech shirt and 2 visors. Additional kit is available for purchase. Each member is also reimbursed for race fees for 2-3 local races. Main sponsor/bike shop provides team members with a nice discount and free fittings.....awesome shop and a great sponsor www.procycleandtri.com

Website etc.-different team members handle updating website and facebook page. Another member keeps up with team points and updates. We also have a member that acts as treasurer.

Community service-team volunteered this year at 2 camps held in Pensacola Beach. One for Disabled Veterans and another for paralympic athletes. Being a quality representative for the team and exhibiting sportsmanship are extremely important and are part of the mission statement for the team..    

While the team races are sprint and olympic distance events most everyone does other events including AG Nationals, IM events and 70.3 races. This year we have had numerous members qualify for 2015 AG Worlds in Chicago, Kona and 70.3 World Chamionships.

More info about the team can be found on the website. Be glad to answer any other questions you have.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri team people Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Explainging Tri's to non-tri people :)

Started by dkazup
Views: 1264 Posts: 20

2009-07-12 2:49 PM Gritty

Why Would You Tri? Negative People Pages: 1 2 3

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 2943 Posts: 60

2008-02-01 2:49 PM savtrinewb

Question for Team GU People

Started by dursofd
Views: 444 Posts: 1

2007-07-08 1:49 PM dursofd

MN people - mini-tri practice this weekend?

Started by autumn
Views: 539 Posts: 7

2005-07-29 7:31 PM kkokal

Why do people Tri?

Started by jryals
Views: 1301 Posts: 20

2005-03-18 9:13 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : May 2, 2011
author : Comet
Beginner Triathlete is proud to announce and feature Team Red, White and Blue as our official charity!
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.