United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 8s
Overall Rank = 1/11
Age Group = Male Olympic
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:45, got dressed and ate. For breakfast I ate a powerbar, a banana and sipped on a 24oz water bottle with 2 scoops of Gatorade powder and 2 salt tabs mixed in. I arrived at the transition area at 6:00. I had to help a lot with the organizing and registration, so we took care of that until about 7.

Event warmup:

I got started late but I after transition was set up I took my bike for a spin. I did about 10 minutes with two 1 minute ramp ups to cycle through the gears and make sure everything was working well. I got in the pool and did 200m (100 easy, second 100 cycling easy and hard 25s), then we had the meeting. After the meeting I did two more 50s (25 hard 25 easy).
Swim
  • 27m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I hadn't got to swim for the last 4 weeks due to logistical problems. I was worried about how the swim would go. I started out a little to fast, which led to trying to calm myself down. Then I allowed myself to settle into too easy of a pace. For some reason I was swallowing a lot of water, to the point that my stomach was feeling sloshy. Not my best swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice pacing and mental game during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

My legs were cramping really bad coming out of the pool. My hamstrings and calves tightened up so tight when I was getting out I was worried I was going to fall back in the pool. When I was trying to get my shoes on while riding my calves kept cramping making it take several tries to due up the straps.

I either need to practice getting in my shoes faster or just put them on before I get on the bike. I wasted a lot of time messing with them while getting going on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 35s
  • 24.2 miles
  • 22.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to stay around 250 avg power and stay aero. The start I was dealing with some pretty bad calf cramps that I thought were going to stick around all day, but by about mile 4 they settled down. I was able to hold a pretty constant power into the wind and up hill, but downwind or downhill my power fell out the bottom. I also struggled staying aero, I need to work on that for Havasu. I was able to stay aero when I had to (into the wind, downhill, etc), but if I was downwind or pushing hard up hill I came out of aero to give breaks. I need to work on the better position.

As for nutrition, I had two bottles with me and a gu with me. One of the bottles had 2 scoops of Gatorade and 2 salt tabs mixed in. I drank about 1/2 of that bottle. The other bottle had plain water. I didn't drink any of that, I just used it once to wash out my mouth to fight dry mouth.

Work on staying more aero and getting to produce better power in aero. Also would like to produce more power on the downhill and keep that more consistent throughout the ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Everything went really smooth, no issues here.

Nothing, went really well.
Run
  • 42m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

It was pretty mentally defeating to run straight into the wind on the way out. It created a mental battle, especially on the second lap. The first out segment it was a mental fight to keep a pace that would still allow me a shot at the sub 42 range. I was able to make up time on the way back (downwind), but I gave it back on the way back out. It was hard to mentally stay in it and convince myself it was important. I made up some time on the way back, but just not enough. My watch said I was 41:xx, but the timers said differently.

I hope that I can get into the run, mentally speaking, faster in the future. The first 3/4 of a mile were a real fight and that wore me down. After about 2 miles I got a little bit of a groove, but not a great one or a long enough one. I need to work on mental toughness by fighting through tough intervals in training.
I paced exactly to my watch and didn't give leeway for my goals. My watch said I was at 2:14:xx. The official time came back 2:15:08, missing my sub 2:15 goal by 8 seconds. I should have dug deeper to make sure I got that.
Post race
Warm down:

There were a lot of people to talk to and help with the triathlon. Most of my warm-down was just chasing Bryson around which was plenty of walking. Nothing really structured for a warm-down though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental game. Each leg I mentally was telling myself that I was going to fail at the start. I need to work on breaking down speed barriers and trusting my ability to go faster. I know that my body can take a lot more pain than I allow it and I need to get better at making myself go harder.

Event comments:

For a very cheap, all volunteer race this is a great venue. It is not a typical race production but a good grass roots race with everyone involved volunteering their time to put it on.

Last updated: 2014-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:40 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 1/11
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2 pc tri suit
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:03:35 | 24.2 miles | 22.84 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Loop course around the base, relatively flat with mostly good roads, but some bumpy parts.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:15 | 06.2 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 2 out and backs on a flat bike path. Into the wind on the way out and downwind on the way back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-30 11:41 AM

User image

Subject: Edwards AFB High Desert Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Edwards AFB High Desert Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High Desert Triathlon

Started by jolly_smurf
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2012-10-24 3:59 PM jolly_smurf

High Desert Triathlon

Started by jolly_smurf
Views: 328 Posts: 1

2012-05-20 12:30 AM jolly_smurf

High Desert Screamer - Beginner

Started by desertsix
Views: 565 Posts: 1

2007-10-02 10:37 PM desertsix

Dyess AFB Sports Day Triathlon

Started by davidsra
Views: 1379 Posts: 3

2005-10-29 12:29 PM jldicarlo

High Desert Challenge

Started by jbull
Views: 645 Posts: 4

2005-08-27 2:30 PM jbull
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Elevated blood pressure is the most common cardiovascular disease in the United States. There are many things to consider in the recommendation of training for individuals with high blood pressure.
date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 15, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
With high cholesterol and about 35lbs to lose, Tim heeded his doctors orders and began to transform his life.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
After finishing a sprint triathlon I ate a large meal and about 8 hours later I became very ill with chills, fever and diarrhea. I attributed it to food poisoning but it happened again after a brick.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.