General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal Higdon marathon plan advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Hal Higdon marathon plan advice
Hey- I've been toying with doing a Spring marathon and took a look at Hal Higdon's site...lots of plans there! But how to pick one?

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/marathon-training-guide

My background: been doing triathlons for about 5 or 6 years, train pretty consistently except slacking a bit these days after the Raleigh 70.3 in June (slacking still means 6 or so days a week, but usually that is a 4-6 mile run). Never ran a stand-alone marathon but hobbled one in an IM. My most recent 5K was several years ago in around 20 mins.

My goals for the marathon: not really sure. Just doing it is fine. Break 3:30 would be really nice. BQ would be awesome but I have no desire to actually run in Boston, so it would just be for bragging rights and I don't think I have the motivation to put the training in to knock those extra 15 mins or so off. When I was training for B2B in 2010 (my only IM) my long runs got up to 18 miles at a low 8:xx pace (just for context). So hopefully this gives you enough background to help me pick a training plan- beginner, intermediate (what level), advanced, etc. Thanks.

ETA: I really do like cross-training so running less to leave time to swim once in a while, or ride, isn't a bad thing...

Edited by louiskie 2014-09-30 12:26 PM

2014-09-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Hal Higdon marathon plan advice
You've got a running background, but all your listed achievements are a few years old. The novice plans would be easy for you to jump into and with fewer longs runs, be easier to swap in more cross training days.

I'd shift things around a little bit:
Move tuesday short run to monday
Tuesday - hard bike ride
Wed as is (medium run)
Thurs as is (second short run)
Friday bike - longer/easier
Sat as is (long run)
sun swim (or tag it onto one or both of the short run days to give yourself a full rest day)

In any case, it would be good to get out there into a running race to get an idea of your current fitness.
2014-09-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by dfroelich

You've got a running background, but all your listed achievements are a few years old. The novice plans would be easy for you to jump into and with fewer longs runs, be easier to swap in more cross training days.

I'd shift things around a little bit:
Move tuesday short run to monday
Tuesday - hard bike ride
Wed as is (medium run)
Thurs as is (second short run)
Friday bike - longer/easier
Sat as is (long run)
sun swim (or tag it onto one or both of the short run days to give yourself a full rest day)

In any case, it would be good to get out there into a running race to get an idea of your current fitness.

Thanks. I actually did the Raleigh 70.3 this year and last and B2B half the year before that, but didn't go into all my race details since the run is quite a bit shorter than a marathon. I run pretty consistently- last stand alone half marathon was a few years ago in 1:38 and I did the run at Raleigh 70.3 in 1:50ish (I think). Do you think the novice plan is "too easy" or should I do something a little more intense?
2014-09-30 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I'd do the intermediate 1 plan if I were to choose one. It peaks at 43 mpw with 5 runs a week, as opposed to 40 mpw over 4 days. Also you could crosstrain on Mondays. Of course this is said having no idea of your weekly volume, just assuming it's 20+ mpw

I used a Novice Higdon plan to do my first marathon. It got me to the finish.
2014-09-30 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
It really depends on how much you want to be able to crosstrain with swimming and cycling. If you are fine with tagging swims on the lighter run days and just doing one ride a week, the intermediate would be no problem. If you want more than that, I'd go with the novice.
2014-10-01 6:45 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

New user
Key West
Based on the information you provided, it looks like the Intermediate plan would probably work for you. I used the Advanced Plan because I was shooting for a BQ and I have been a runner for over 33 years. It didn't happen for me so I am using the Hansons Advanced Plan, which is more total miles, more race pace and faster running, and with no time for cross training, for my November Mary. But, I am chasing the BQ goal still. Higdon was a reasonable plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hal Higdon marathon plan advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hal Higdon Novice 1/2 Marathon plan question

Started by triosaurus
Views: 3491 Posts: 14

2010-12-27 3:03 PM triosaurus

Advice on choosing between these two marathon plan

Started by Mirg
Views: 756 Posts: 6

2009-10-27 11:08 PM AdventureBear

Marathon plan advice

Started by AF_SGT
Views: 954 Posts: 5

2008-10-05 5:36 PM brown_dog_us

hal higdon's plans

Started by sappho96
Views: 824 Posts: 11

2006-09-06 7:24 AM leapdog

Hal Higdon's Marathon training + tri

Started by madeye
Views: 1170 Posts: 22

2005-10-14 2:48 PM madeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : February 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
From yoga to Crossfit, what strategies can be used to get a groin injury under control for racing?
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.