United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 52m 37s
Overall Rank = 2446/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 819/
Pre-race routine:

I flew into Jacksonville, FL on Thursday and then drove with my brother (4.5hrs) to Augusta Georgia on Saturday morning (leaving at around 6:30am but I slept the whole way there). From there, we checked into the Marriott and I went to the race Expo to get my race packet and picked up my bike (I used the Bike Transport which I felt was worth it!). I biked to the transition area, only to find out that my bike computer wasn't working. My brother tried to fix it and we figured my battery was dead, so I opted to just not use it and to use my Garmin watch instead. Afterwards, we went to eat at Taco Bell around 3pm and I got my usual Mexican Pizza and a 7-layer burrito. Then went to Publix and I picked up bananas and water. Then walked around downtown Augusta, prepped my stuff in the hotel, and then had dinner around 9pm (kind of late, but early for me since I'm from CA) at TGIF. My carbo loading was a 6oz sirloin with mashed potatoes and mozzarella tomato salad. Because the service was slow, we didn't get out of there until 10:30. I finally went to bed at 11:30ish.

I woke up around 4:45am and got dressed for my race, gathered all my things, and my brother drove me to the transition area. I set-up my transition area and then we went back to the hotel since my start time wasn't until 9am. I ate a banana, drank advil, and then I took a nap for an hour or so and then we walked from the hotel to the swim start. Around 8:30, I put on my wetsuit and cap. At 8:45, I went to stand in line with my wave and ate a gu, salt tab, and drank water.
Event warmup:

What's a warm-up? I stood in line talking with other women in my division and when I got to the pier, we had 1 minute til start. You could either start on the pier or in the water, I figured if I started in the water, that was one step closer to the finish line. I, also, opted to go towards the middle of the river because apparently that's where the current is the strongest.
Swim
  • 36m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was amazing. The water was cold and was a bit of a shock on the body, but the current was awesome! I just needed to veer my swim towards the left side of the river and this helped me swim straight. I didn't like the seaweed that was in patches throughout because I kept imagining something coming up to grab me and pull me under. In the first 300yds, I did have a minor panic attack and I felt like giving up, but I did a couple of breast strokes and calmed myself and then continued.
Transition 1
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers are amazing! They just take that wetsuit off with no problems! It was great! I didn't run through to the transition, I took my time. I was dreading the bike because I really didn't know what to expect. I took a salt tab, gu, and water and then headed out. I saw my brother taking pictures of me at transition and I did have a bit of a problem mounting on my bike. But other than that.. I was good to go!
Bike
  • 4h 00m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was hard for me because it was hillier than I thought. The rolling hills after awhile it got me mentally, that I kept telling myself "I will you over this hill!" or "Just make it to that tree branch" or "Just make it to that sign." I tried to stay positive because I knew that I hadn't trained that much on hills or even that much on the bike. This was the longest that I've ridden on the bike since May (in which I did 60miles). Other than that, I had ridden 30 miles here and there at the creek (which has very brief uphills and is mostly flat). Also, I did by a bike trainer, but I didn't like to use it that often. So, with the amount I trained, I was expecting to do 13.5mph, so I did better than I thought!

Oh and on one of the last (even steeper) hills, a girl almost collided with me that I had to jump off my bike to avoid us hitting each other. I was so bummed because it was a pretty steep hill and I couldn't remember if I could walk my bike up or not. I probably would've walked it up but then there were spectators so I didn't want them to say anything, so I tried biking up and that wore my legs out.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN on HILLS!
Transition 2
  • 06m 12s
Comments:

I was glad to be done with the bike. When I got to the transition area, I took a salt tab and drank some water. I walked from the bike rack to the mat.

I would've taken another advil and a gu.
Run
  • 3h 03m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was flat. It was a mental game. I started out doing a walk/run interval of 1min run and 45 sec walk. After mile 5 I switched it up from 1 min run to 40 sec walk. I felt good the first 4 miles but then afterwards, I really started to lose it mentally. Because you do two loops of the course, you can see the mileage marker for the distance (for example, when I was at mile 1, the mile 8 marker was right after), so mentally I was like, ugh I'm going to have to do this part again?!?

I started counting down the mileage but after mile 7, I felt really hot and was trying to calm my heart rate down. I then switched it up that i did my 40sec run and 1 minute walk. I ended up doing that the rest of the way. It took all my willpower to keep doing that.

I stopped at every water station, alternating between water and the powerade. I got the sponges and even started pouring water on myself to help cool down.

I would take in gu every 45minutes-60mintes.

I did finish strong though and better than I thought. I allotted my run to be 3hrs and 30min but I realized that if I kept up my pace then I could finish the entire race in sub-8hrs. So that motivated me to keep at it, even when I just wanted to walk the whole way.

TRAIN MORE. hahaha.. And then take in gu every 30-45minutes instead.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think if I trained on hills and was more consistent, then that would've helped A LOT!! Considering I pretty much could only train on weekends and 1 other day throughout the week, I am pretty proud of my performance! My goal was to do it before the cut off time and I did it with plenty of time to spare! This gives me confidence that if I lost weight and trained, that I would be able to do better next time. But, I DID IT!!! I beat my goal of 8hrs and 30min and did it in under 8hrs.

That for me is a good race!

Event comments:

I would definitely recommend this race for the beginner wanting to do a half ironman!

Last updated: 2014-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:20 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 119/
Overall: 2307/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Savannah River
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
04:00:33 | 56 miles | 13.97 mile/hr
Overall: 2491/
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hillier than I thought.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:03:40 | 13.1 miles | 14m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 2446/
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-30 6:39 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 4148 Posts: 19

2009-10-05 2:23 PM tahrens

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by green_sea_urchin
Views: 3027 Posts: 7

2009-10-02 10:28 PM 3daywknd

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by ironlib
Views: 3424 Posts: 14

2009-10-03 6:47 PM Slave Diver

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by PerpetualEndurance
Views: 2941 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 11:46 AM ironlib

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by FlyingTiger
Views: 2948 Posts: 9

2009-10-07 5:39 PM Swank guy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.