General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 7:35 PM

Subject: Looking for a bike
Hello all! I am wanting to start training for a sprint triathlon. My question is about which style of bike to look for. I herniated 2 discs in my lower back a little over a year ago and although I am cleared to do full exercise I still struggle with sciatic never pain when hunched over too long. What kind of bike can I look at that will keep me more upright. I have checked out bikes like the Trek FX series and the Raleigh Cadent even though they are not the "traditional" road bikes. And advice would be appreciated.

2014-10-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: boomer_sooner0584

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Looking for a bike
Originally posted by boomer_sooner0584

Hello all! I am wanting to start training for a sprint triathlon. My question is about which style of bike to look for. I herniated 2 discs in my lower back a little over a year ago and although I am cleared to do full exercise I still struggle with sciatic never pain when hunched over too long. What kind of bike can I look at that will keep me more upright. I have checked out bikes like the Trek FX series and the Raleigh Cadent even though they are not the "traditional" road bikes. And advice would be appreciated.

Having dealt with back issues for over 40 years, about the one thing I can tell you for certain is that what works for my back might or might not work for yours, etc. In my case, I went with an upright hybrid and then got the urge to do Tri. Pulled out my old road bike and at first my back was not happy about it. Fast forward about 4 months and about 1500 miles and now my back does just fine on either the old road bike or my new road bike. What did it for me was a combination of miles, cycling specific core strengthening and stretching, and what really capped it off was adding Yoga a couple of times a week. I'd also add that swimming helps as well. I guess my advice would be to keep an open mind knowing that the bike that is comfortable for you now might end up getting replaced down the road as your back gets stronger. A hybrid is certainly a possible place to start, but I wouldn't rule out a road bike. Best of luck!
2014-10-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: boomer_sooner0584

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by boomer_sooner0584

I herniated a disc 5 years ago. Everyone is different, the bike never bothers me but the run does at times.
I think of it this way, if you are upright on your bike the discs in your back will take the impact of any bumps you ride over. If your horizontal(tri bike) the muscles in your core will take the impact of the bumps.
You say you have pain when hunched over too long, hunched over how? Hunched over standing up is different than fitted on a tri bike.

Of course you need time to build up the back muscles for riding. First time out on a 15 mile ride you might be hurting, just build your miles slow and make sure you do some core work. Since everyone back problems are a different it's hard to give specific advise. I had to do a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for me, usually any pain comes on slowly now and that is my cue that I'm doing something wrong.
2014-10-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
MA

I have 2 herniated discs and had surgery about 18 years ago. I too was concerned if I could ride a normal road/tri bike when I first started. For me I can ride with no issue with a good bike fit on either type of bike.

I find it easier to ride on a tri bike as your skeleton holds your weight as opposed to a road bike where what holds you up is different.

Tri bike you also rotate around the bottom bracket and changes your weight distribution.

If I was you, I'd go see the best fitter in your area (ask around to triathletes or maybe check the slowtwitch fitter directory), get their insight and buy a bike based on their recommendation of what fits you.

If you were like me you will end up buying a compromise bike first and then another a year later. Save your money and get a fit and then decide on what bike is right.

2014-10-01 11:21 AM
in reply to: #5055587

What I mean by pain while hunched over is when down on the drop bars almost everytime my leg would be at the top of the pedal stroke I would have a stabbing pain in my lower back and left buttocks. I had a Trek 1.2 that I ended up selling due to the pain. I hope I didn't sell it prematurely. Thanks for all the tips!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a bike Rss Feed